Jake

Idle Thumbs 283: Fantastical Tactical Spectacular

Idle Thumbs 283:

1003__header.jpg

Fantastical Tactical Spectacular

Before Chris boards a plane to Japan we take a trip to Hitman Con 2016, where there are no talks, and no one wears a badge, but the cosplay game is off the charts. Join us for a brief look at the most recent two Hitman episodes, talk of episodes yet to come and episodes that will never be (outside of our dreams).

Discussed: Hitman (2016): Bangkok, Colorado, Convention episodes, Japan

Final Hitman levels are a mixed group:

Hitman Codename 47: infiltrate an asylum with a secret lab in the basement at one point a ton of your clones come at you.
Hitman Silent Assassin: sneak around a church to take out a Russian mob boss.

Hitman Contracts: escape from a SWAT team and take out a police inspector.

Hitman Blood Money: Infiltrate the White House and assassinate the Vice President.

Hitman Absolution: I only played this one once, it involved a lot of heavily armed guys on a helipad.

Blood Money is easily my favorite final level, its hard because there are marines and secret service everywhere but can be done stealthily quite well. Excited to see what the Japan level is going to be like.

Re: The "There's a problem with the toilet video."

That someone deliberately went and knocked out all the people in the hotel and dragged them to the bathroom is pretty funny, but to me the idea that it was the result of a systemic thing that got out of control is even better. There are some hoses that Hitman shouldn't turn on.

Oh man, I have a feeling reader Alex is going to be sorely disappointed when Nintendo NX is revealed to not have backwards-compatibility (which the rumours are heavily pointing towards..) :sad:

Re: The "There's a problem with the toilet video."

That someone deliberately went and knocked out all the people in the hotel and dragged them to the bathroom is pretty funny, but to me the idea that it was the result of a systemic thing that got out of control is even better. There are some hoses that Hitman shouldn't turn on.

I think what Chris experienced was just a bug. I remember when I used the phone two bellhops entered the room, and I just took them both out and that was that. Also I think once you use the phone that's it, you can't try and call hotel services again a second time, and if I'm remembering that correctly then the only way for the person who made that video to do that would have been to have deliberately sought out a bunch of unconscious/dead bodies, and relocated them back to the bathroom.

I think what Chris experienced was just a bug. I remember when I used the phone two bellhops entered the room, and I just took them both out and that was that. Also I think once you use the phone that's it, you can't try and call hotel services again a second time, and if I'm remembering that correctly then the only way for the person who made that video to do that would have been to have deliberately sought out a bunch of unconscious/dead bodies, and relocated them back to the bathroom.

I took out both bell hops and then had another come. I ended up hiding three bodies in the bathroom so a forth bellhop could come and fix the bed.

Oh, it for sure sounds like a bug, I'm not suggesting the Hitman devs deliberately decided to send wave after wave of bellhops at the minibar.

Maybe im weird but i think the Colorado level is visually striking and real atmospheric. Desolate farmland always fascinates me. And i like that there's a single mission thatsa more traditional infiltration thing. And 47's tactical leather jacket rules

I don't want to give anything away, but part of this John Wick 2 teaser tied into this episode in a way that made me laugh really hard:

I don't want to give anything away, but part of this John Wick 2 teaser tied into this episode in a way that made me laugh really hard:

This was even funnier with your little foreword there. Laughed also really really hard. And I actually thought it was gonna call-up a more obvious subject from the podcast (and thread). :D

I took out both bell hops and then had another come. I ended up hiding three bodies in the bathroom so a forth bellhop could come and fix the bed.

Interesting! I wonder if I just moved the bodies somewhere where they didn't get discovered then maybe?

Maybe im weird but i think the Colorado level is visually striking and real atmospheric. Desolate farmland always fascinates me. And i like that there's a single mission thatsa more traditional infiltration thing. And 47's tactical leather jacket rules

Yeah, I've heard a lot of complaints about the Colorado level. I certainly prefer Sapienza & Bangkok (and I've also come around to Paris too), but I really appreciate how Colorado switched up a lot of conventions that we've come to expect from this Hitman iteration. If all the levels were like it it would be awful, but as a one off I really appreciate what they did to keep things fresh, and that extends into how instead of an exotic locale it is like a rundown rural area.

I am excited about what Japan ends up looking like. Fingers crossed, I hope they take advantage of the density and verticality of Japanese cities.

The temptation for video game designers to...

And then Idle Thumbs happened. We will never find out what video game designers are tempted to do, and so I am sad.