Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Quake Champions

This trailer makes me cautiously optimistic about Quake Champions:

Why does your bee icon have no sting? Did you use it up on someone and rip their heart out with your barbs?

It looks pretty good tbh. The champion powers idea in quake feels weird but I'll keep an open mind.

The biggest thing for me is that the air control and momentum is hopefully similar to QL or Reflex.

If it turns out to be good, I'm hoping it can sustain an audience. Quake Live suffered from never garnering a critical mass of players, though I can't recall what the PR was like for it. I always got the sense that they pushed it as a toy example/experiment of browser plugin games and only recently attempted to make it more of a traditional format (and removing cross-platform support...) by shifting to a binary on Steam.

I also wonder how aggressively they're planning to push it as an eSport. That seems to be increasingly common and Q3 is in my opinion one of the most enjoyable FPS games to see played at a high level.

id seems to have done right by Doom, so I'm quite hopeful they retain the classic feel and speed of Quake movement and satisfying weapons.

Apparently Quake Pros have been consulted while they're making the game and it sounds like they're happy with it?

I wouldn't be worried over whether they'll make the game newcomer/quick play friendly. Hero abilities sounds like a step into making the game welcoming to newcomers + they'd be stupid to only cater to the few thousand people that still play quake live/cpma/reflex.

Supposedly the movement at this stage feels 'heavy' atm. Like Doom's movement, but that trailer also shows high speed movement and some air control so whatever they're doing it seems mostly fine.

Looks more like an Unreal Tournament game to me. I wish they would have gone with a less visually busy art style. I think if you look at Quake 3 it still holds up fine today.

It looks to have strafe humping?

This is a sexual reference.

also wonder how aggressively they're planning to push it as an eSport. That seems to be increasingly common and Q3 is in my opinion one of the most enjoyable FPS games to see played at a high level.

Sounds like quite a bit, http://www.dailydot.com/esports/quake-champions-esports-bethesda/

"Id has a long tradition of supporting competitive tournaments and that continues with Quake Champions,” id Software Studio Director Tim Willits said during the conference. “The game is designed for world-class esports play at every level, from the world’s greatest Quake players to anyone willing to test their skills in the arena. So as part of the launch plan for Quake Champions, Bethesda will be supporting and expanding competitive tournaments and leagues beyond QuakeCon."

In an after-conference interview Willits said that they want Quake Champions to live up to pro player expectations, with updated offensive and defensive movement, including rocket jumping.

"To be an esports game, to be competitive, you have to run fast," Willits said. "And pro players expect 120Hz, they expect lightning-fast response. And we want to make a game with unlocked frame rates that will run as fast as you can throw hardware at it."

As long as it has strafe humping, rocket/grenade humping and plasma humping/climbing, it should be good.

That thread tag tho...

From reading around for more info, looks like weapon pickups are in (Oh yeah!):

“No loadouts, no limit to the amount of guns you can carry,” id Software Studio Director Tim Willits said. “Time the weapon pickups, or kill your opponents. That’s how you get weapons in a Quake game.”

I hope the strafe jumping physics are similar to Quake 3. I spent close to a decade practicing that shit.

Looks more like an Unreal Tournament game to me. I wish they would have gone with a less visually busy art style. I think if you look at Quake 3 it still holds up fine today.

Yeah, it definitely has more of UT feel to me, too (although the announcer sounds like the Quake3 announcer, and the movement is a bit faster than UT... the rest feels very Unreal Tournament indeed).

Not that I don't have good memories of UT, but this, in combination with the lack of a single-player component (I really really wanted a new single player Quake (1) reinvention), I'm not that taken so far...

I was ready to poop all over it, but it does look alright I guess.

(I really really wanted a new single player Quake (1) reinvention)

Yeah, that's what I keep hoping for. 

I should play more Arcane Dimensions, that shit is tight.

So what do we all think of the beta?

About 2 hours in, it feels like a refresh of Quake 3. That's a good thing!

I'm also struggling to keep up with how fast it is - That's also a good thing!

The abilities don't seem to make much difference, but in a last-stand situation, they can get you out of trouble. Not that they get much use - people seem to prefer fragging the old-fashoined way.

It's a weirdly heavy game. Takes ages to load at start and also before every match. Also the game is a bit sluggish when deathmatch is going on. Seems the Saber tech is quite horribly optimized. One of my friends told me the game crashes often for him even though he has a beast of a computer. I'm not a fan of the f2p elements like getting xp and leveling up even getting your ass kicked in DM, but I don't play modern mp games much at all that so I guess that's just how it is these days.