ysbreker

Holy Moly, or how valve wants my soul

Here I go again: I payed 90 euros for the Warcraft 3 collector's edition, and I thought it was fairly priced (this was no small box, more closely resembling a ton indeed). I can't speak for HL2 of course. If I look at the Bronze version, I am pleased though. 40 euros for a new game of this magnitude. Now that's a price that I would deem reasonable for any new game, instead of the usual 60.

I got my Warcraft III CE for 60, I think....

I'm a total sucker for Collector's Editions, and seeing all the junk cool stuff this one has, I'll probably get it... :erm:

60? Was that perhaps the integral Spanish version? Were any of the things in Spanish? Otherwise, I know where I'll get my World of Warcraft CE :)

60? Was that perhaps the integral Spanish version? Were any of the things in Spanish? Otherwise, I know where I'll get my World of Warcraft CE :)

It was in English, it had the Cinematic DVD, the soundtrack, the book of The Art Of Warcraft, some litographs, manual and game... :erm:

Speaking of WoW CE, I wonder if I could buy the US version?

ARGHHHH no they've ruined it. They should have recaptured the spirit of the original. They should have stayed true to the elements we've come to love. They should not have done anything substancially different. They should have listened to the fans!

The chickens would have been such a great showcase for the new facial animation system. ;(

http://www.bringbackthechickens.tk/

But this is crazy! 60 euro's! I want WoW for that price! Tanukitsune, I hereby knight you to official Watcher Of WoW! Find me the cheapest version when it comes out and report back to me at that given time! :innocent:

But this is crazy! 60 euro's! I want WoW for that price! Tanukitsune, I hereby knight you to official Watcher Of WoW! Find me the cheapest version when it comes out and report back to me at that given time! :innocent:

The funny thing was, when I got it, I was mad with glee I tought it was bloody miracle I got this, and I clinged to it like if it was made of gold, and then...

The clerk opened a drawer and put another copy on the shelf... :hah:

Oh, and a German friend of mine got it for 30€.... :frusty:

But hey, looking for the lowest price is what I do!

The thing is would it matter if I bought the US or UK version? Being online and all, I tought that if I buy the US edition I would only be able to play on US servers, which wouldn¡t be a bad thing, now that I think of it.... :erm:

It shouldn't matter at all. Just like with Warcraft III, you can choose any server you want. But you may want to stick close to home because of connection speeds ;) Anyway, I'm gald you'll keep an eye out for the cheapest. 30 euro's, however, I'm having a really hard time believing that.

Mmm, so now I'm kind of curious to hear how it all runs on a less than cutting edge (ok, shit) computer. Anyone playing it on, just as an example, a 1.3GHz with 512MB RAM and a fairly average graphics card?

I should probably find this out for myself, but hey, you're all a resource waiting to be abused tapped.

i'm running it on a 1.5Ghz P4, 768Mram(recently got more - this is important), Nvidia 5200(cheap as shit), with no real problems - it runs 1024*800 with everything on high(no AA), and looks sweet, but the framerate is smooth as a baby's freshly chopped liver with lower settings.

drooling in anticipation.

I got my copy at Fnac, I think my friend got it at a store too, he's even a bigger expert at getting stuff cheap than me....

Now that I know I can purchase the US version, I'll keep an eye on US sites...

US games are usually cheaper, but then you have to pay more shipping... :mock:

Is it even out yet? :erm:

i'm running it on a 1.5Ghz P4, 768Mram(recently got more - this is important), Nvidia 5200(cheap as shit), with no real problems - it runs 1024*800 with everything on high(no AA), and looks sweet, but the framerate is smooth as a baby's freshly chopped liver with lower settings.

Sweetbabyjeezus, that is encouraging news indeed!! :yep:

How much video memory does that thing have?

You are like some kind of awesome informant person to me. I love you!

I have a Geforce FX5200 as well, so this sounds encouraging. Kinda. I might miss being able to see an enemy from 300 miles away at 1600x1200 in the original CS, but Jake's description of being able to shoot computers in the office makes it sound worth the sacrifice.

Hmm...

How much video memory does that thing have?

ah, yeah i forgot: 128mb

the computers are great,alright.

i only played the original cs a couple times on lans, so im doing really terrible, but its fun.

It means that it's about time that mr Remo gets a proper job and work his ass of for a new computer.

If he ever wants to play halflife or counterstrike: source from the comfort of his own home that is.

pretty dumb question by pretty dumb ryam:

you wrote: bronze = 40 €, silver = 49 €

but when i convert the valve dollar prices into euro (assuming that 1 € = 1,2 $) i get ~60 € (~50 $) for bronze and ~70 € (~60 $) for silver

here's the dumb question: am i wrong, or are you wrong? :innocent:

but the fact that

HL2 posters, full strat guide, soundtrack, hat, collector's box, postcard & more
should be worth 30 $ is pretty impudent (as long as the posters, guides, soundtracks,... are not made of GOLD)...

Why? A strategy guide alone often retails for $20 at retail, so I still don't understand why the prices are so far fetched.

hmmm...the last (and only) strategy guide i ever bought was a pretty thick book about riven/myst, which costed me around 120 ats (whhooops €-time: ~9 € / ~ 7,5 $). okay that was yearssss ago, but are they THAT expensive???

Maybe I was a bit disgruntled at the fact that I now won't be able to afford a gold version :)

But still, exclusing the gold version: 40/50 euro for for a game of which I'm not going to get a hard copy for. I think that is rather pricy

especially when you remember that those 40/50 euro's are all for valve. so they take out the midle man but don't let that show in their prices. I think that's what irks me most.

Oh and ryam baco:

But when i convert the valve dollar prices into euro (assuming that 1 € = 1,2 $) i get ~60 € (~50 $) for bronze and ~70 € (~60 $) for silver

1 dollar isn't 1.2 euro's.

1 dollar is about 0.80 euro (yes the euro is more valuable than the dollar)

so 50 dollar x 0.80 = 40 euro

60 dollar x 0.80 = 50 euro

and 130 dollar x 0.80 = 105 euro

And since these prices are without any tax this will only get more expensive. (for me at least)

....are they THAT expensive???

Yes they are, upwards of $15. Because they're fully illustrated and everything, they're expensive to produce. Only real hardcore gameheads with extra money to waste buy them. :shifty: The only one I ever bought was a Primo Guide for Tomb Raider: TLR, and that was pretty useless after I finished the game. Anyone want it? :mock:

The way I see it you get 13 games for that money. (I don't own the original HL and its expansions.) Best deal ever.

But still, exclusing the gold version: 40/50 euro for for a game of which I'm not going to get a hard copy for. I think that is rather pricy especially when you remember that those 40/50 euro's are all for valve. so they take out the midle man but don't let that show in their prices. I think that's what irks me most.

Ok, so just buy the hard copy when it comes out.