Jake

Idle Thumbs 267: Real Slyboots

I have a Pusheen box subscription, because i love things and i love fat cats. It's only quarterly though. I've gotten 2 so far, and they've been totally charming and delightful

I don't understand the lootcrate style ones, because they pull from such a wide variety of media that you are guaranteed to have a bunch of things from shows that you don't even like. Monthly is too frequent imo, and too unpredictable.

There are subscription boxes that I understand, like Pusheen or the Haunted Mansion one or the Tsum Tsum one, because they're highly directed. Or the Barkbox (monthly dog toys and treats) because those things get destroyed/eaten/used.

Although the Wii U gamepad tablet seems like it lines up perfectly with the sheikah tablet that Link uses in the upcoming Zelda game, Aonuma has stated that he didn't like the way looking down at the gamepad distracts the player and splits their attention. People who reported their experience playing the E3 demo has said that there is nothing on the gamepad screen besides a refresher on the controls. I really like having a map and inventory screen on the gamepad, so I hope Aonuma changes his mind and at least makes it an option for people who like that kind of thing. Right now, the game is playable both with a Wii U gamepad or a pro controller (though this option was not available at E3), with no difference between the two besides the ability to use the gyroscope in the gamepad for some of the abilities or aiming the bow. Some people have used this to speculate that the NX will not have a screen on the controller, since Aonuma said that the experience on both platforms will be identical. I'm not going to try to predict anything about the NX based on this, though. Crazy how little we actually know about the NX. I think Nintendo should announce it sooner later than later so all these probably false rumours don't start to take hold and ingrain themselves into people's minds.

edit: I went back and watched an older gameplay video; there definitely was an interactive map on the gamepad tablet previously. That video was from 18 months ago, wow. (and Aonuma claims the game will release in 2015 in that video, haha)

The best part was Jake calling bullshit the very first time Chris used the term "sly boots."

He's all, No, Chris, that is not a word that you use. Stop whatever you're doing right now.

Yup! :tup:

I don't think I have ever heard anyone use that term before, so my reaction would probably have been similar. 

I would love to sign up to be surprised each month, but I realize that I already collect enough garbage without a loot box subscription. The thing that Maximum Fun does for their high-level subscriptions where they send out one piece of media a month sounds really cool too, but I'm not quite willing to donate that much.

I did IndieBox for a couple of months and that was fun but eventually I canceled because half the time I already had the game they sent me because they were often older games. The Black Album style box art for their Brutal Legend release was pretty great though.

This Pusheen box is dumb and awesome and I might subscribe.

It's definitely both dumb and awesome. My wife is subscribed to it and the box (which is designed to look like Pusheen) came with a Pusheen cooking apron, a Pusheen toy of it baking dough, and some other random Pusheen stuff.