brendonsmall

[Released] Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin'

Let's get this party started

Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin' is trying to be a THPS2-style arcade racing game where you must make sick jumps and collect things. Maybe even letters to spell words that rhyme with Cruisin'.

I hope it will be completed, and possibly: Fun, Working, Jumpy, and Somewhat Ridiculous

Some words so far:

• Snoozin'
  • Shoesin'
  • Losin'
  • Schmoozin'
  • Transfusin'
  • Amusin'
  • Excusin'

This is ambitious, and may not even materialize. But hey, let's have some fun!  :)

Update: Released! Here's the itchio link: https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-2016/rate/68424

Some progress from yesterday. Cruisin' around a randomly populated set of city blocks. So far only a few building types, but soon some ramps and collectable items and more city scape goodness.

LlLNhan.gif

WIZARD JAM! :)

Oh man, these Crazy Taxi vibes! Make sure you tweet at Danielle when this is finished, she's gonna get a kick out of it for sure.

Have you considered:

• Boozein'
  • Choosin'
  • Fusin'
  • Abusin'
  • Accusin'
  • Confusin'
  • Defusin'
  • Infusin'
  • Misusin'
  • Perusin'
  • Recusin'
  • Refusin'
  • Reusin'
  • Suffusin'
  • Overusin'

Cull as needed and target the ones you find the most amusin', or I guess build a crazy table of picks that share the most characters so you can "build" them out of individual letter pickups or something? Dope design space, man. (SPACEMAN!)

Oh, make sure you do NOT use "bruisin'", the "proper" intended rhyme. I feel like it's paramount that be part of the joke!

Oh man, these Crazy Taxi vibes! Make sure you tweet at Danielle when this is finished, she's gonna get a kick out of it for sure.

Have you considered:

• Boozein'
  • Choosin'
  • Fusin'
  • Abusin'
  • Accusin'
  • Confusin'
  • Defusin'
  • Infusin'
  • Misusin'
  • Perusin'
  • Recusin'
  • Refusin'
  • Reusin'
  • Suffusin'
  • Overusin'

Cull as needed and target the ones you find the most amusin', or I guess build a crazy table of picks that share the most characters so you can "build" them out of individual letter pickups or something? Dope design space, man. (SPACEMAN!)

Oh, make sure you do NOT use "bruisin'", the "proper" intended rhyme. I feel like it's paramount that be part of the joke!

All rock solid suggestions! They have been added to the list :D Also, yes, totally got to tweet to Danielle about this one.

The game over screen has to be Losin' surely!

That is a great suggestion :)

Testing basic "Letter Get" stuff. Totally going for the THPS vibe here.

B4jfVmn.gif

Also got some *amazing* Crazy Taxi-esque sound bites from Thumbs podcast that are going to be great I think :D

Working on some sexy camera angles for the main menu. Going for a kind of Cruisin' USA and Gran Turismo vibe

cwTjLpe.gif

I hope this thread isn't too giffy for you all  :eyebrow:

Too giffy? I don't understand...

Looking great!

On mobile, sometimes the loads of gifs make the experience a dire one. Great for web though, and I love the format to show off motion and stuff.

That's really great! Like Jake said in the 'cast, I'm really impressed at the two fully-realised driving games in Wizard Jam this year. It's rad.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I am having a lot of fun with this game :)

Also, I am happy to report that apparently you can get sick enough air to land upside down on the roof:

hMpLnen.png

I guess I'd better put a secret collectable up there in case someone manages to land on their wheels :D

Ok, so here's a video clip showing a few things from today's progress:

https://twitter.com/whilefun/status/733798408994066432

• VO work
  • GUI text for point-get things
  • Distance meter for jumps in progress
  • Jump results and points based on hang time and distance (i think, might have forgot distance, will add it *right now*)

Edit: Also improved rollover detection, so it is cancelled if wheels get back on the ground :)

FUN!  :)

In lieu of giant invisible walls, I have opted for quarter pipes surrounding the city. And since I added quarter pipes, you bet your bottom dollar I also added quarter pipe taxi tricks:

https://twitter.com/whilefun/status/734232633786261504

The Driverside Trunk Pop 360 is my specialty

(also it turns out tracking cumulative rotation in Unity is hard, so the angles and rounding might be weird depending on direction and number of rotations! :)

I love love love that this pretty full-featured 3D driving game is literally what the nonsensical episode title describes.
+ Great audio and use of Thumbs voice samples.