coughlinjon

[RELEASE] The Eyes of Luigi

I'm making The Eyes of Luigi! A FPE game where you are Luigi locked in Mario's bedroom and the key to get out is buried somewhere in the piles of success cluttering the room.

I began building some FPE tools a while back and I'd like to use them in a real game.

Tools:
-floating text above objects

post-35123-0-66181100-1462846355_thumb.gif

-clickable objects with optional inventory

post-35123-0-65303300-1462846408_thumb.gif

My favorite Luigi is the Luigi's Mansion version - scared, cautious, cute, soft, hums along to the music

I am drawing all of the graphics as scribbles on my phone. I'll attach my first gif for reference later today.

I need help with ideas for props - the contents of Mario's bedroom and thoughts of how they'd make Luigi feel while he digs through them. I'm thinking things like a picture of Peach, Yoshi's toys/leash, and loads and loads of trophies from past adventures. I'm expecting Luigi to feel insignificant, inferior, proud of his accomplished brother.

I could use help drawing these props in 2D, because I plan to turn them into camera-facing sprites.

I need help finding a light-hearted background song that I can loop and occasionally have Luigi hum along with. I would like it to sound like it could fit in a Nintendo game.

I plan to record my own voice as Luigi's barks, but anything longer than one or two words will be rendered as text in-game.

I'm open to all sorts of other kinds of help, but I've listed the stuff I know will take me the longest.

Let me know if you're interested and stay tuned for a bunch of stupid first-person Luigi gifs :)

You should copy one of your test animation gifs from the slack into here for the records.

Looking forward to seeing more phone scribbleverse style assets implemented!

As for prop ideas...

You're probably already all over the predictable in-universe stuff like:

• Stacks and Stacks of Coins
  • Empty Question Mark Blocks
  • Broken Brick Block Debris

Some potentially more interesting ideas:

• Starman Engagement Ring (was Mario going to pop the question?)
  • Sports Equipment (Referencing tennis, baseball, etc.)
  • Hidden/Furtive Pics of Daisy/Pauline (is he fooling around on Peach?)
  • Creepy Phanto Mask (The dark power of this mask could threaten Luigi when he gets his mitts on the key, OR it could just whisper into his mind about how he should be the ONLY brother or something disturbing)
  • Shrine/Rosary Depicting Rosalina (she's technically the goddess of that universe! I've always liked the idea that there's some sort of religion dedicated to her, and part of the reason Peach is considered so attractive to everyone is her resemblance to the star mother)

- Trophies that Mario has won from tennis, kart racing etc.

- Copies of books written by Mario about his success.

- Adoring fanmail.

- Positive reviews of games that featured Mario and not Luigi.

Here's my first Luigi walking gif that I made last night :)

post-35123-0-30373200-1462841496_thumb.gif

The scribbled hands are what I mean when I say that I'm going to do all 2D scribble art for this game. I'm going to render the in-world objects as 2D camera-facing sprites.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Things I love so far:

-Something referencing Wario/Waluigi - maybe a birthday card from them declaring Mario their #1 foe?

-Sports trophies

-Fan mail

-Loads of coins

-Books about Mario lol

What if I wrote a bunch of doting notes from Mario's/Luigi's parents calling him their favorite son?

[EDIT - if anyone knows how I can change my monster pictures to something smaller in the forums without resizing the original files, I'd love to avoid you all having to scroll a whole page to see them :) Send me a reply or PM]

I added camera-facing props, the first of which is this Piranha Plant :)

post-35123-0-31617300-1462853219_thumb.png

Now when I circle-strafe around the forest of plants their sprites face me all the time. I love how Unity lets me do this with a script that has a single line of code in it :)

transform.LookAt(Camera.main.transform);

post-35123-0-51107800-1462853166_thumb.gif

Those plants look great as sprites in 3d!

Ha, thanks! 

Have this if you think it works. 

lol, did you make this? I love it - very Nintendo. It will be somewhere in the game :)

Steven has joined to make some excellent props. Have a look at his picture frame and piranha plant, lol! I need to adjust my camera-facing sprite system to allow less rotation when you're close to objects - I'm worried that it's too hard to see the detail in Steven's props right now. Luigi looks ignored :)

The trashy dresser is still mine - no sense in having Steven draw furniture. The carpet is a placeholder I grabbed from the internet.

post-35123-0-87467500-1462903358_thumb.gif

Steven has made a ton of art over the past couple days.

- Arms

- Pictures

- a boombox!!!

- a trophy (best jumper)

And some stuff we're keeping a surprise.

I'm spending most of my time making the objects intractable. I've hooked up an inventory system, so you can click objects get a zoomed view of them or scroll through their contents. I'm working on adding a personal inventory to Luigi, so you can keep objects and use them later to interact with different parts of the room.

Travis is also on board to help with the programming. He's building a voice object for Luigi's barks right now. There will be music in the game, and I have a dream of getting Luigi to hum along to parts of it like he does in Luigi's Mansion :) We'll see if we can figure out a clever way to sync hum clips to specific points in our songs.

Here's a quick gif of Luigi reaching for things. I'll polish the animation later (hopefully). The furniture in this is probably temporary.

post-35123-0-73560600-1463065040_thumb.gif

I've redrawn the dresser as a series of 2D sprites that I'm pasting together in Unity to create a 3D object. I know there must be better ways to do this, but drawing stuff on my phone is my fastest way of creating art.

Here's the old dresser and the new dresser for comparison. I think we'll probably be sticking with the 3D version:

post-35123-0-72004000-1463092089_thumb.gif

hahaha, that makes for a fun optical illusion. I really like little Luigi's arm pumping. 

Idle Thumbs Ep. 262: Dead Letters features a story about a 3yr old boy whose concept of inventory management only includes characters standing still. Luigi now dances while managing inventories.

post-35123-0-02531100-1463163213_thumb.gif

Randomized boo faces, or are the different disturbing faces for different boo states?

Randomized boo faces, or are the different disturbing faces for different boo states?

lol, probably randomized - I don't know that I have time for multiple boo states/personalities (though I'd love that). We'll try to do something fun with the faces.

In other news, I got Steven's vacuum in the game!!!! The gif below includes it as an inventory item > selected for use > used (the shaky animation) > walked with (the wobbly animation). 

I know I need to add some air lines or something to the [use] animation to make it clear that the vacuum is active, but I also plan to add a sound.

post-35123-0-65384000-1463260538_thumb.gif

Thanks for putting these updates here for reading through. It's neat to see the progress. I especially like how Luigi can't seem to keep still.

Thanks, clyde :)

I'm getting started working this morning and it's sinking in that I have blown my original scope for this game. I intended to make something focused on Luigi's emotions, but right now it feels like I made something focused on Luigi's animations. I know there will be a whole evening devoted to making sure the game builds, a whole evening or two tying in the intro/menu/credits and the full game loop, so I think today, Sunday, I need to wrap up the mechanics of this game, so that I can spend the remainder of the jam building Mario's bedroom and adding the text to get inside Luigi's head. 

I will NOT play if those creepy boos make it to gold. They make me die inside.

(Looks so rad thoug).