Architecture

What's for Breakfast?

If you want to make them entirely from scratch, here's my recipe for pancakes in general:

1c all purpose flour

1c whole wheat flour

1tsp salt

1tsp sugar

4+tsp baking powder

1tbsp oil

2 eggs

add milk to desired consistency

That makes pancakes for like 4 adults.

If you're doing apple pancakes, the easiest way to do it is use applesauce. Add the applesauce and a bunch of cinnamon *before* the milk (applesauce is wet so you'll end up using less milk), then add the milk to achieve the desired consistency. I use a lot of applesauce. Possibly 1 cup (never measured).

If you want to do banana pancakes instead, or really any whole fruit you want blended into the pancakes, do the batter as normal until it's done. Then add chunks of whatever fruit (I'll use 3 whole bananas for the recipe above), and use an immersion blender to blend the mix to the desired consistency. You can use a normal blender instead, but it's a pain in the butt. Immersion blenders are cheap and one of the best kitchen gadgets ever.

One note: Whenever you add fruit to pancakes you have to cook them at a relatively low temperature or they'll burn before they cook through.

Beyond that, once I flip the pancakes I butter them in the pan. This can require some attention so the butter doesn't melt off, but the result is awesome.

By the way, one other thing that can be great is instead of milk use plain yogurt. It can be a bit tricky getting the right consistency with yogurt, so you might want to use some normal milk as well.

This was a hit by the way. They ended up coming out pretty thick, almost like a crumpet.

I know I'm probably late to the party, but I just recently discovered McDonalds breakfast. I usually hate McDonalds food, but their breakfast stuff is super good.

It's crazy isn't it? Love their breakfast. Can't STAND anything else. Well except shakes but it's hard to mess those up.

I know taste is literally a matter of taste, but I've always found the enthusiasm for McDonalds breakfast, particularly egg mcmuffins, baffling. I can eat garbage hamburgers all day every day, but fast food eggs make me nauseous.

If I even think about eating a Big Mac I start feeling a little icky!

Sausage and Egg McMuffin is just great. Their coffee isn't...terrible either. It's on par with Costa (shit UK coffee chain, with inexplicable popularity). I could eat one every day.

I recently ate some McDonalds chicken nuggets after a night out as it was the only thing open. They were gross! How can chicken nuggets be gross? 

Speaking of coffee: I have goooooood news!

A Dunkin' Donuts is coming to Sac! Now I get to have DD coffee :)

I don't normally eat breakfast, but yesterday I made donburi with chicken & eggs, and it was tasty.

Scrambled eggs, everything bagel with neufchatel and capers, chai and grapefruit juice.

r4xo5oG.jpg

My take on the classic Spanish bocadillo con jamón--prosciutto di San Danielle, goatsmilk cheese, spring greens, brined red peppers and olive oil on toasted rustic loaf. Plus coffee. Lots of coffee.