Sign in to follow this  
Badfinger

The Division - Tom Clancy Presents Ubisoft's Tom Clancy's The Division, By Ubisoft

so, maybe someone can direct me to an overview of this game.  you are a guy who goes out into NYC and tries to reclaim objectives to bring order to the situation, fine...but the dark zone is the really bad areas that you need to gear up to get into?  And this can be completed solo or in a team i presume...maybe dark zone needs a team (raid esque?)

Apparently my recently upgrade PC is still not strong enough...i was able to run on all Low settings; but i think its time to start shopping a new video card (x2 6750's arent cutting it)

so, maybe someone can direct me to an overview of this game.  you are a guy who goes out into NYC and tries to reclaim objectives to bring order to the situation, fine...but the dark zone is the really bad areas that you need to gear up to get into?  And this can be completed solo or in a team i presume...maybe dark zone needs a team (raid esque?)

From what I saw, the dark zone is one large open PVP area. It's comprised of a few distinct areas that are intended for players of different levels, but you walk around it freely, there are enemy AIs in the streets and in buildings you can fight, and players to shoot too. The gear is better, but you need to extract (1:30 timer where everyone can come kill you + steal your things) to use it. I'm not sure quite how it works, but if you kill other players you get flagged as aggressive and other players can kill you without getting flagged. But you can shoot anyone.

I enjoyed playing over the weekend with a couple friends, did some PVE then shot a few people in the dark zone. Not sure if I'll get this at release since I won't have time to really put the time in until May probably but I did quite like it. The environments are great and it's very atmospheric, it feels like a game I could spend a lot of time exploring.

I played around with both keyboard/mouse and controller, and even though I'll probably pick it up on PC I think the controls are tailored for a gamepad, and it felt better there to me. At least until I had a single shot rifle and needed to headshot everything.

If you take more than 20% of a person's health away in the dark zone, you get flagged. The flag lasts for a certain time, encouraging you to basically run off and hide.

I didn't play much in the dark zone, but the regular areas play like a co-op shooter with loot and skill trees, Normally that wouldn't do it for me, but the feel of the weapons was really good, the environments are pretty, and the spontaneous missions that pop up as you wander around felt pretty cool. I liked a lot of intangibles that are really tough to describe. It's basically a Borderlands set in modern times, with a giant PvP area in the middle. Oh, and cover based, and none of the wackiness of course.

If you take more than 20% of a person's health away in the dark zone, you get flagged. The flag lasts for a certain time, encouraging you to basically run off and hide.

What does the flag...do? Other than alerting other players they can kill you without getting flagged it was unclear to me what that did.

I lean towards PS4 myself due to hacking and UPlay, but most people who've posted seem to be leaning towards PC so I guess I'm heading there as well. Depending on reviews anyways.

What does the flag...do? Other than alerting other players they can kill you without getting flagged it was unclear to me what that did.

Just that. Makes you a free kill and I believe the killing player gets a small bounty.

Edit: I haven't seen the PS4 version, but it looks pretty nice on my mid-range PC, so I have a feeling that the PS4 version will either look uglier or struggle performance-wise. The PC client is weird though, I already had uPlay for the Siege beta, so I fired it up to install the Division... and it sent me to Steam. So I guess they want the reporting, but aren't willing to stand up a software distribution system?

Yeah, just that. When you're flagged, other players can kill you without becoming rogue themselves. Plus, they earn cash and xp for killing you, PLUS you lose xp and items for dying while rogue. It's a pretty heavy penalty, actually. So if you're going to go rogue, make sure you have a team with you (and hope you're not on a really populated server).

Apparently my recently upgrade PC is still not strong enough...i was able to run on all Low settings; but i think its time to start shopping a new video card (x2 6750's arent cutting it)

It's a loot-driven solo/squad based RPG shooter. There are group missions (think WoW dungeons), side missions, and other incidental world content in Manhattan at large. You get better levels, unlock new abilities and perks, and your guns and gear become a more favorable loot color what to do the shootin' with.

The Dark Zone isn't specifically a PVP arena. Think of it like (again, WoW) a WoW Contested zone. You could help the opposite faction kill those ogres if you wanted, or you could kill the other faction because you are a Rude Dude. My understanding is that besides the NPCs roaming around in the DZ that are basically elites, there will also be story missions or at least quests that you'll eventually need to do in there.

I feel like I get off track trying to describe this stuff:

It has both a Dark Souls and DayZ vibe, but the lite version. You can be attacked at any point in the zone, and you can lose progress both in the form of gear not secured and you'll lose DZ EXP and Dark Zone currency.

The Dark Zone has a Diablo Paragon sort of thing where your Dark Zone level is different from your "normal" level. There are gear restrictions, and at least at the outset it looks like most of the best gear is going to come from the Dark Zone.

The RPG elements are very Borderlands. I cannot stress enough that this is a loot shooter. A better gun will make the numbers go up. This isn't Rainbow Six.

I'm under the impression that there are going to be raid-type encounters based on hints that have been dropped, but nothing is confirmed.

Dinosaurssssssssssss I am the exact opposite from you - M/Kb is the way to go for me. I wouldn't even consider playing this on controller on a PC.

I'm way into this. I'm actually setting aside some time to play it at release, which is something I've never really done for a game before. I think the DayZ draw is the biggest. If you've never played DayZ, the very tense moment where you're 20 seconds from loot extraction but there are other guys around is exactly the dayZ vibe, but without losing literally hours of progress if you die and starting from nothing.

Alright Badfinger, you sold me on it, I miss playing Day-Z with the thumbs crew.

My uplay ID is YoThatLimp if anyone wants to group up.

This is my time to step in and PSA everyone to remind you not to preorder games, like I have done.

I think this game is gonna be the bees knees for me personally, but I thought that about SimCity too the last time I was this enthralled by a beta.

This is my time to step in and PSA everyone to remind you not to preorder games, like I have done.

I think this game is gonna be the bees knees for me personally, but I thought that about SimCity too the last time I was this enthralled by a beta.

Yeah, I might hold off until reviews. I dig the beta, but I'm still curious about the amount of content. Destiny was pretty disappointing initially for me.

Yeah, Sim City was also a disappointment hah.

I think I like this game. Playing dress up and running around the High Line was cool, at least.

Dress up really was my favorite part of the beta. Dark Zone loot was fine (guns and armor with better stats!). But nothing matched my excitement by finding a nifty hat. 

I wonder how reviews for this game will work. The online component seems so important that just a small group of people with review codes might not give the best indication of the final product. 

I'm going to preorder this + the season pass so I can get very mad when it doesn't live up to my expectations.

The one thing that still makes me nervous is that they have said very little about the PvE endgame. I'm not sure what to expect from it and I'd feel alot better if they'd at least shown an example of what it'll be like.

I'm expecting that the Dark Zone is the entire endgame and, if there's something that's PvE, I will be pleasantly surprised.

This article seems to imply that there will be a hard mode for PvE content that I guess is level 30, but they seem a lot more excited to talk about the dark zone.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/the-divisions-level-cap-solo-play-hard-mode-loot-and-free-updates-laid-bare/

I think I am going to just pikc up the base game and wait on the season pass, still a little nervous about it hah.

Who's getting it on PC? We should group up.

The one thing that still makes me nervous is that they have said very little about the PvE endgame. I'm not sure what to expect from it and I'd feel alot better if they'd at least shown an example of what it'll be like.

I'm guessing it will be DZ and NG+ options, though, given the map they've announced, it would be really cool if they added Central Park as a PvM endgame area.

I'm going to hold off a day or two and see both how the port is and how people feel about the game. People thought the beta was pretty good but this ain't Dark Souls so I'm not putting money down with out some sort of second opinion.

Normally I'd get this on PC, but I have friends getting it on PS4 and the cheating stuff on PC had me a little wary, so I'm going with the console version.

I might end up on PS4 as well. The PC version will get cheaper faster if I want to switchand I'd rather play with a controller and while I'm sure you can do that on PC I feel like for PVP it would put me at a disadvantage. I wish I know where the rest of the PS4 Destiny people will be playing though.

I'm planning on waiting a few days after release to see how people find the full game. I enjoyed the beta, but I'd like to hear how it all holds up for more than a few hours. If I do end up getting it, I'll be playing on PC and would like to team up with other thumbs for fun and profit.