SuperBiasedMan

Idle Cook Club - Veggie Feeds-me: My Body Is Ready

So, I have been granted leave to post our next cooking idea and i'm going with:

Savory Crepes

Here, by way of example, is my go to version which i made with buckwhear flour and top with rocket, cheese, ham, creme frais and pickled beetroot. It is one of my favourite meals. I'll deffo be making this one in the next few day, and next week i'll try out something different. Best of luck everyone!

If this is new to you, you will find ideas by searching for Savour Crepe or Galette (the buckwheat version), or just thing for yourself what nice things could go inside. I've even been toying with the idea of making one with some indian spices to go alongside a dal in place of a dosa or naan.

img_5231_720.jpg

Edit: and don't forget, leftovers can accidentally be smeared with nutella for a delicious dessert!

One of my favorite savory pancakes is pajeon, Korean green onion pancake, which I usually make an embarrassing amount of during the summer.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/pajeon

Maybe I'll finally take this opportunity to try out soegogi-jeon. Does this count as a "pancake" though, really? http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/soegogi-jeon

I hope you are having makgeolli with your pajeon, preferably on rainy days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makgeolli

This has inspired me to try and make Makgeolli sometime.

so I haven't been paying attention for a few day so I'm sorry but I have to backtrack a little bit.

Patrick, how was the slow cooker lasagna? I have been looking at that recipe for so long but I didn't know if it is crazy or crazy enough to work.

(not that specific recipe, but slow cooker lasagna) Did it work? Does it taste right? 

so I haven't been paying attention for a few day so I'm sorry but I have to backtrack a little bit.

Patrick, how was the slow cooker lasagna? I have been looking at that recipe for so long but I didn't know if it is crazy or crazy enough to work.

(not that specific recipe, but slow cooker lasagna) Did it work? Does it taste right? 

Well, it's hard for me to say. Like I said, I was in a hurry and couldn't squeeze the moisture from the spinach like I should have, and the noodles didn't make distinct layers the way they should because I couldn't get them to line up right in a circular slow cooker. But it definitely cooked correctly. The cheese melted like I like and the noodles were the right consistency. 

This is a cool idea, I got a cook book for Christmas too.

Id like to get involved with suggesting one

I can't find any buckwheat flour for some reason! I want some pancakes so baaaaaaad.

So, I have been granted leave to post our next cooking idea and i'm going with:

Savory Crepes

Here, by way of example, is my go to version which i made with buckwhear flour and top with rocket, cheese, ham, creme frais and pickled beetroot. It is one of my favourite meals. I'll deffo be making this one in the next few day, and next week i'll try out something different. Best of luck everyone!

Do you make the pickled beetroot or buy it? If you make it, what is your recipe?

I buy it, it is amazing local product that i pick up when i visit my brother.

I unfortunatly still have the tail end of this stomach bug, so i'm mostly eating rice and yoghurt at the moment:/ I wanna eat normal food.

I made this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/28493-fresh-corn-salsa-over-savory-crepes (I will probably use Food52 for most of these :) )

My crepes, while not nicely round (I lack the correct pan) were the right consistency and tasted good, the lemon zest is a nice touch. I might try orange zest in pancakes sometime. Overall I am happy with how things turned out.

picture of the final product below:

xZoAQlc.jpg

Ooh that looks like a real good one to cook up and have for multiple lunches. Bookmarkin it.

I'm finally doing mine tomorrow evening, hoping it's good/not a disaster!

Also reminder folks, you don't need to worry about the suggested dish if you wanna stray into other territory.

Pancakes, regular cakes, a stew?

Just make something new!

So I made my crepes! A reminder, I used this recipe that dibs linked.

First off, those savoury crepes were the best. They really work so well for basically being spiced with just turmeric. The dipping sauce was also great, pretty similar to what we use for stir frys and generic asian-ish food. I think I put too much bean sprouts in the filling. I just didn't think I'd use up beansprouts that were leftover after cooking but they ended up overpowering the mushroom, tofu and onions. All of the filling was good, just a tad sprouty.  But when it was all wrapped up in the crepes and dipped it was damn delish. I didn't know to to eat/dip it right because it seemed like everything fell out. I did make the batter of the crepes too thick, which probably made them extra thick in size and density. But to be honest I liked that, though it may have inhibited eating them properly.

Well worth a try, I'd be more careful with the filling next time, and maybe spice the tofu a litttle bit more. Definitely going in the recipe book though.

OK, I am going to try this recipe (without the ricotta) once the weather lets me leave the house again. I have never made crepes before, so if you all have any suggestions on what I might need to know then please suggest. So far it seems kind of like a burrito? 

First time making crepes, much less savory ones. 

I worked off this recipe here - 

Spinach Artichoke and Brie Crepes with Sweet Honey Sauce

but switched fried mushrooms for the artichokes, because I didn't find any artichokes here that looked good. 

Anyway, I think i need more practice making crepes, for sure. The filling was good (but needed more spinach) but the problem was I think my crepes were too thick, as I did not know how to make them properly i guess. Also, putting them in the fridge didn't really help them remain intact when folding. 

I think I am going to try again, and I should probably read the article Corderos posted, but I was a little eager to start. Additionally, I couldn't find any whole grain flour here on a Sunday, apparently its usually only sold in health food shops. 

I made crepes & my SO made a pork roast & asparagus and it turned out very well.

I was very nervous about the crepes, as I'd never made them before & they're fairly known for being something with a learning curve but they turned out fantastic.

I used Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crepes-recipe.html#! & used the small ~8 in non stick pan we have.

We have a gas range which made altering the temperature much easier than our old electric range which I appreciated a lot.

Pictures in the spoilers below.

post-34173-0-31126700-1453687599_thumb.jpg

post-34173-0-17475800-1453687619_thumb.jpg

post-34173-0-07928500-1453687797_thumb.jpg

It was all very very good and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Since I'd never made crepes before I was surprised at how quickly I took to it. Maybe I'm just a natural. I got lucky that the ladle I had was the perfect amount of batter for the pan I was using so it took almost no experimentation. The springy texture of the crepes really complimented the pork. I made the batter yesterday and let it refrigerate for about 30 hours, and really liked the way the crepes turned out, so I would probably refrigerate them again the next time I make them.

So yeah, my recipe had like instant (Store bought)  crepes and I was going to look up the recipe for the actual crepe part right before making it. Surprise, they sit in the fridge for an hour? Didn't see that coming. So I made the batter, tomorrow they will finally happen. What happens if  you  don't wait the hour though, I almost didn't.

Everyon's look awesome! I hope ye all enjoyed:)

I finally got around to making mine, between having the stomach flu and my chosen buckwhear flour going out of production i was thinking i might never have any again. i got some flour at last, so i made my old favourite. Nomnomnom. Well worth the wait!

slack_for_ios_upload.jpg

The best part about making these crepes was that Clyde helped. I used the recipe I mentioned above, kind of. Really, I made the batter yesterday and today cooked them. They seemed kind of thick so Clyde came over and decided he was into trying to see how thin he could get them and that was fun. I made just sauteed veg for the filling of onion, carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms with garlic and chives and a little Parm. That sauce didn't work though, it was like a milky ranch. It was like sour cream, milk, lemon juice and chives, it was good but it didn't work with the crepes. All in all pretty tasty. I did it with a side of edamame. 

6HKA8gr.jpg?1