Ahr Ech

[RELEASE] Happy Happy Krampusnacht

EDIT: It's up! http://riv-hester.itch.io/happy-happy-krampusnacht

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all. Long time Thumbs listener, first time Thumbs forum nerd.

Thought it might be fun to take a break from making my game by making another game, so here I am!

Anyway, this is a score based arcade game vaguely inspired by the Smash Run mode in the 3DS version of Smash Bros 4. As the ever-popular Krampus, the player will run around beating naughty children* with a switch until they are subdued enough to capture and be sent to work in Santa's coal mines.

* The term "children" here means artificial approximations of human larva. Child abuse is "bad".

I've been roughing things out since the jam went live last night. Here's a look at what I've got so far:

YIjNi8m.gif

I'm using Construct 2, GIMP and I'll probably mix my sound effects from public domain stuff I find on Freesound.

Also, I wonder how many Krampus games there are going to be in this jam. Not enough, probably. Never enough.

Thanks all!

This morning I worked on making the kids a little more competent at running away.

PnODb3k.gif

8gNCfcN.png?1

I just placed a set of invisible markers throughout the level that tell them to either jump (purple) or turn around (blue).

Oh and kids are color coded now, with red being naughty and teal being nice. I guess harassing nice kids will deduct points or something.

Also, I added some sound effects for them running away in fear but then it got too real and I felt really bad about what I was doing. Maybe I'll say that's the whole point and pretend this is an art game?

Also, I added some sound effects for them running away in fear but then it got too real and I felt really bad about what I was doing. Maybe I'll say that's the whole point and pretend this is an art game?

Haha. It's pretty cool/weird when the thing you're making comes alive in a way you never expected.

Haha. It's pretty cool/weird when the thing you're making comes alive in a way you never expected.

Oh absolutely! Nothing quite like it, really.

Thanks guys.

Update time!

Kids can now be stunned after being whacked a few times with the switch. Once they're stunned, you can banish them to Santa's coal mine through a sort of portal. Banishing naughty kids gets you points, but banishing a nice one by accident will deduct them. To keep from banishing the wrong ones, Krampus can now carry stunned kids to sort them out. I'm hoping that'll make things a little more frantic when you're racing against the timer for a high score. Nice kids can also be delivered home for bonus points. (Wouldn't want them to catch a cold, even if it means knocking them out so they can be dragged home. Krampus logic.)

fjKE5M4.gif

Wow, these gifs just keep getting better and better. You are distressingly talented.

If you guys don't stop being so nice to me, my head will inflate to a point where I won't be able fit in the room to finish the game.

I was too tired to do anything code heavy after work last night, so I did a first pass on a title screen.

Then this morning I also recorded an absolutely hideous little song to play with this, but I'll keep that under my hat until the game is ready. Rest assured, it's a real assault on the senses. My delivery is somewhere between Tom Waits and Les Claypool, but terrible.

JAYewjq.gif

That's the plan, we don't want you to finish and make the rest of us look bad.

Fiends! I should have known.

My delivery is somewhere between Tom Waits and Les Claypool, but terrible.

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing it.

This looks so good, and if you're looking for some old school sounding music, I could definitely try to whip something up?

Got a start on the timer and scoring systems yesterday, but I'm hoping to get a lot more done over the weekend. Back to work on this stuff as soon as I get home from... Well, from work. WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK. DO IT. JUST DO IT, like I've been told that disgraced actor says!

This looks so good, and if you're looking for some old school sounding music, I could definitely try to whip something up?

Hey, thanks for the offer! I've got it covered, though.

Getting the rest of the level built and filled out with a few more props.

j5nEwHK.gif

I'm also setting things up for the naughty kids to be able to throw rocks at the Krampus, but that isn't working just yet.

One more major area to go and the level is done.

I want to get the menus and score screen working today as well so I can just spend the end of the jam polishing and tweaking.

FxnCspK.png

ljMTV5G.gif

There's something suspicious about that snowman.

It's up!

http://riv-hester.itch.io/happy-happy-krampusnacht

I didn't get the high score to save between sessions in time, but it'll track it as long as the game stays running. And naughty kids can't throw rocks at you as I'd planned, but it was a choice between that and controller support. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Hope you guys like it!

Hey I am glad you went with controller support!  I was able to grok the controls on there much more easily!

Beautiful game, really enjoyed the overall style of the environment.  The music when you're hot on the tails of a naughty child is best!

Really enjoyed the game over screen as well showing all the children you captured mining away!

-"Very satisfying feeling to beat the children!" (Back of the box quote)