Sign in to follow this  
seamus2389

RAW is shit but New Day gifs are gold aka wrasslin talk

I have been thinking about start this topic for a while since I have started watching wrestling (NXT, Lucha underground) after last doing so back in 2002.

tumblr_ntk7gjTrKK1rdx8ebo1_540_zpshzj99f

Although my favourite at the moment is Jordan and Gable for bits like this

tumblr_nu3w1a6jS31sbzhteo1_400.gif

I just realized that sometime since I first subscribed to WWE Network, they finally added all the RAWs during the Attitude era. I'm unsure if I'll avail myself of the opportunity and, if I do, when I'll go from just watching PPVs to watching TV as well. I started with the Austin 3:16 promo (96 King of the Ring) and am currently at Summer Slam 97. Still haven't seen anything that I remember yet, but I'm thinking it's probably late 98 when I started watching? 

I just realized that sometime since I first subscribed to WWE Network, they finally added all the RAWs during the Attitude era. I'm unsure if I'll avail myself of the opportunity and, if I do, when I'll go from just watching PPVs to watching TV as well. I started with the Austin 3:16 promo (96 King of the Ring) and am currently at Summer Slam 97. Still haven't seen anything that I remember yet, but I'm thinking it's probably late 98 when I started watching? 

A friend of mine has been doing the same thing with the RAW episodes.

In addition to the attitude era podcast there is also the new generation project podcast recently covered King of the Ring 96 and how over the next couple PPV Austin very quickly put together his look/character. 

Just got tickets to Tables Ladders and Chairs in December! Section 316  B) I'm a relatively new WWE fan (only really been watching the past year or two) but that'll be my 3rd live event this year. I have trouble putting what I find so great about wrasslin' into words, but that interplay of reality and fiction is definitely part of it. Seeing what happens in the wake of stuff like Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins' injuries, or seeing the company struggle to push Roman Reigns has an element of unpredictability that's fun to see play out.

Aaaanyway, New Day gifs. First one is from

Pev1o7S.gif

owhqhD5.gif

J3toI5l.gif

(get well soon Seth)

Also if you weren't aware, Xavier Woods has a youtube channel where he streams games with other superstars, and there's some good goofy stuff in there. For example this video where Stardust shows off his surprisingly deep Star Wars knowledge while playing Battlefront:

I have trouble putting what I find so great about wrasslin' into words, but that interplay of reality and fiction is definitely part of it. Seeing what happens in the wake of stuff like Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins' injuries, or seeing the company struggle to push Roman Reigns has an element of unpredictability that's fun to see play out.

That is definitely an part of it's appeal for me. I realised that watching wrestling is kinda like watching Lost cause a fair chunk of the comments are speculation based on bakcstage going on or how a certain match or interview played out. I really like how things like tv shows and games are actually made and only in wrestling does knowing that actually feels like it matters. 

Lucha Underground returns next month and t it looks great cause it how would a show this good not be.

Also NXT Takeover London was quite good but for me it did't have the emotional high point of the last couple mostly down to the lack of a Sasha Banks or Kevin Ownens. 

I've been going through the Attitude Era stuff on the network and enjoying it, but I wish there was a like...commentary? I need someone to tell me the importance of the big moments and what they meant for wrestling going forward, how they fit into the monday night wars, and generally just give more context for the feuds/characters/etc. Does anything like that exist?

That's tricky, because WWE's version of the Attitude Era is "everything was awesome and WCW sucks," and the Angry Internet Commentary opinion is "but that cruiserweight division tho"

Brandon Stroud (love him or hate him) does a weekly Retro RAW/Nitro report over at With Spandex that helps provide some context. He's only just getting into the end of '96, so there's a ways to go, but it'll help provide a jumping off point. Last one was Pillman 9mm.

I've been going through the Attitude Era stuff on the network and enjoying it, but I wish there was a like...commentary? I need someone to tell me the importance of the big moments and what they meant for wrestling going forward, how they fit into the monday night wars, and generally just give more context for the feuds/characters/etc. Does anything like that exist?

Isn't that what the Monday Night War series is?

Monday night wars is ok for that but be aware that the WWE use it to re-write history to suit themselves.

You should check out the Attitude Era Podcast which goes through the Attitude Era Pay-per-view by pay-per view while also mentioning what is going on in WCW and Raw if it's pertinent. There is also a couple of similar podcasts covering the WCW in and around this era like  New Blood rising (looking at WCW after Vince Russo joins) and the 3rd man podcast which is the best of the WCW podcasts I have listened to is just starting to over the WCW in this era.

Idea: wrestling podcast specifically focused on social justice issues - problematic portrayals of women and people of color in WWE and other major promotions, backstage politics which institutionally marginalize talent, and keeping past offenses from fading into obscurity.

Social Justice Wrestler.

The hosts could call ourselves the cultural smarxists.

Idea: wrestling podcast specifically focused on social justice issues - problematic portrayals of women and people of color in WWE and other major promotions, backstage politics which institutionally marginalize talent, and keeping past offenses from fading into obscurity.

Social Justice Wrestler.

The hosts could call ourselves the cultural smarxists.

This website (not sure if it still going) and this podcast both talk about this stuff.

Gonna try participating in this thread a bit more to see if anyone's up for general wrestling chat.

People might've had heard about this match lately, but if you haven't seen it yet set twenty minutes aside for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TgbxaQcheQ

Critics calling it a gymnastics display and a spotfest, and sometimes I think super lauded high-flying matches can be accused of that (the 2006 ROH MOTY with the Dragon Gate guys comes to mind), but this match had as much psychology as any you'll find nowadays and I thought it was astonishing. Even if some spots seemed choreographed, I thought they made sense to the story, the wrestlers' personalities were always front and center, and it's not like even pure mat-based wrestling (which I love, don't get me wrong) doesn't have its choreographed spots (usually involving implausible submissions) - whereas everything Ospreay and Ricochet did seemed like a genuine athletic contest, in spite of spots that came off visually like ballet.

That Ricochet match is such a great match, but I think the gem of that tournament so far is Kyle O'Reilly vs Kushida from the opening show.  Of course, that one didn't catch on to where NJPW released it for free, so you've gotta go through getting on NJPW World for it.

I bought the first episode of Lucha Underground on iTunes, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

Lucha Underground takes a bit to get going but really pays off if you have the time for it. I'm halfway through the first season and the episode I watched most recently contained one of the best matches I have ever seen (I've only been watching wrestling for like months but still). 

Lucha Underground is very good.  If you're starting from the beginning, it takes a good 8 or 9 episodes for that thing to settle in and start to let some of the more bizarre stuff start creeping in from the edges.  I actually haven't watched all of season 1 myself, as I jumped in late and just picked up with where they were, but I went back and started to watch what I missed.  I've still got a good 5-6 shows I haven't seen from that season.

Season 2 is even better.

The thing I am liking most in this season of Lucha Underground is more comedy especially with famous b and joey ryan. It fits in so well with the more fantasical and dramatic parts. Jack evans has also been on fire this season as a very funny heel, him teaming with Johnny Mundo and the "Darewolf" has been a joy to watch so far. 

Netflix are producing a comedy series  based on the Gorgous women of wrestling promotion which according to one article is actually on the US netflix.