gerbilsinspace

Mirrors Edge at E3

What I enjoyed about it was being chased.  Seeing bullets go whizzing by is a good reminder that I'm running for a reason besides getting to the end of the level.  It's hard to get that perfect moment, but when you hit a good flow and you can see the path before you get there it's a pretty great feeling to climb some boxes, slide under a pipe, run along a wall, then leap off of a platform over a gap while turning around mid-air and giving the guys behind you the finger.  Granted you can do all that without some AI chasing you but the time trials didn't quite give me the same sense of enjoyment as executing a perfect series of moves to escape.

I definitely didn't mind the runners and I feel like the moments where you are outrunning them and trying to lose them were much more exhilirating than the equivalent sequences where you are being chased by bullets.

I definitely didn't mind the runners and I feel like the moments where you are outrunning them and trying to lose them were much more exhilirating than the equivalent sequences where you are being chased by bullets.

I honestly forgot those were in the game until just now.  But I do remember liking and disliking various aspects of the guys with guns.  I liked running and escaping them.  I disliked being locked in a room with them and forced to fight.

To directly answer your question: yeah, I did get to a part of the game where people were shooting at me and thought "Gee, this is fun!".

I loved the time trials more than the main game, I think. But yeah, if they don't force you to be locked with enemies and fight then I wouldn't mind the guns that much.

Incorrect! There are guns, you just can't use 'em. Which is perfect since why would you use them ever in the first game!

Incorrect! There are guns, you just can't use 'em. Which is perfect since why would you use them ever in the first game!

I meant for player use :) I think thats what people were talking about anyway.

The only way I would want guns is if 1) they didn't allow you to pick them up or fire them, 2) you could disarm guys on the run without interrupting your momentum, 3) bullets were actually lethal and 4) there were some actual mechanic to dodging bullets as you run instead of the whole "just run really fast and try not to slow down" approach that had to be taken a lot in the first game. But I don't see that happening so I'll gladly take a sequel with no guns instead.

"Faith will fight, but she doesn't kill," said Jannson. "Now the fighting is more of an extension of the movement. It builds on the flow. It fits a lot better with the game mechanics. When Faith is in flow, when she stitches together move after move without failing and keeps her momentum going, she's actually invulnerable to bullets. That can keep her out of harm's way. It's only when she stops that she can get hurt."

I have to say, the way they claim this is going to work comes pretty damn close to doing almost exactly what I had hoped for. In fact, making you invulnerable to bullets while you have momentum is kind of an ingenious way to make areas with gunfights more engaging and interesting than if there were no gunfights at all.

I meant for player use :) I think thats what people were talking about anyway.

There were some people complaining about being shot at, if not in this thread, then elsewhere. But yes.

I'm of the opinion that most people who hated guns in the first game actually tried using them. I never did!

There were some people complaining about being shot at, if not in this thread, then elsewhere. But yes.

I'm of the opinion that most people who hated guns in the first game actually tried using them. I never did!

Yes, I am that person and I complained about it in this thread! Also, I did use guns in the first one so maybe you're right and that's why I hated them.

But from how they described the gunplay in Catalyst, I'm on board. Being able to maintain your momentum through combat and then actually being rewarded for doing so by making you impervious to bullets is just too perfect. In fact, I need to go change my pants.

I hope they don't make it too easy as backlash against all you people. Mirror's Edge was just right in terms of balance between having to figure things with all these obstacles in the way and and then finally getting that one good run.

My main beef with guns in the first game was that the window for disarming required you to be absolutely precise with the timing. Just make it so you can hold the disarm button as you're running at a dude to disarm them! It would be great! 

"In Mirror's Edge Catalyst, you won't be using any guns at all," senior producer Sara Jansson told Polygon in an interview today at E3. "We've completely removed that aspect of the game. You can't even pick them up."

Faith will, of course, still be facing lots of corporate goons, so she will have to fight. But EA and developer DICE have created a new combat system that emphasizes melee combat.

"Faith will fight, but she doesn't kill," said Jansson. "Now the fighting is more of an extension of the movement. It builds on the flow. It fits a lot better with the game mechanics. When Faith is in flow, when she stitches together move after move without failing and keeps her momentum going, she's actually invulnerable to bullets. That can keep her out of harm's way. It's only when she stops that she can get hurt."

Mirror's Edge Catalyst will launch Feb. 23, 2016. Stay tuned for more coverage of the game from E3, including a hands-on report and more from Jansson.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/8791399/mirrors-edge-catalyst-no-guns-ea-electronic-arts

Beautiful.

She doesn't kill is a bit of a technicality unless all of those goons have parachutes because she definitely knocked a dude out a window in the video :)