toblix

Apple Event September 12th

Apple just sent out invitations to their iPhone 5 event, so, in a week or so, prepare to have all your social media channels gush and spurt nothing but comments about NFC, ear buds, minijacks, screen dimensions, connectors and SIM cards for a few hours.

I, also, am not religious events.

damn it, somebody is stealing my "into"s

This just in: Apple invites press to Apple press event where press will report on Apple.

cider1.jpg

Never change, toblix.

Edited by tabacco
toblix preferred that his real name not be used

Hey, let's leave the real name thing to internet stalkers and the FBI, ok?

edit: Sweet, crisis averted! I try to live on the internet like I do at work and elsewhere. At work I prefer to be called Iceman.

Oh sorry, I wasn't thinking since the connection had been mentioned indirectly earlier. Thanks, tabacco, for acting quicker than me since I was AFK.

It's an excellent name, though.

No problem. It's not a state secret or anything, and a trivial connection to make – still, shivers run down my proverbial spine whenever I read my name on the internet. It's irrational, but there you go.

Oh, and yeah, I'm quite happy with it, though it sometimes causes web page layout issues.

Oh, and yeah, I'm quite happy with it, though it sometimes causes web page layout issues.

At least all the glyphs exist in non-unicode fonts. Unlike *some* donors I might mention ;)

I am an Apple cultist and look forward to glimpsing the new chains that will bind me to my god.

I really thing more games should take advantage of iPhones and iPads as secondary screens, similar to the Wii U. Have a big blue potion iPad and a big red potion iPad, and leave more of the screen for Diablo-ing!

I just read a rumour that the next iOS will have a skeuomorphic paper-shredder that shreds virtual tickets and passes. If this comes to pass, I ... I ...

Interestingly, Passbook (which is new in iOS 6) isn't skeumorphic. Maybe it's a sign they're trending away from that again.

Oh, that's a good sign. Didn't they show this new app that looked like a leather credit card holder thing at the last keynote, though? Or am I confusing that with something else or my imagination?

I just read a rumour that the next iOS will have a skeuomorphic paper-shredder that shreds virtual tickets and passes. If this comes to pass, I ... I ...

Shredder'd.

Shredder'd.

What? There was one?

Anyway, changing a successful form factor seems stupid to me. It's not like the phone was too thick or heavy. The lightness/thinness will not compensate the unnecessary added length, which will make one-handed operations even trickier. So I am not that interested and will likely wait for the next one, which I hope will be shorter again. Although better CPU speed sounds nice considering I have a 3GS, but maybe I'll switch to some Android instead.

I think that the next iPhone will be shorter again is extremely unrealistic. I wonder what the reason for the change is, though. They said, of course, that the new screen was designed to fit the human hand, which, like many of Apple's statements, implies they were doing it wrong before, but it could be anything from just reacting to the competition (Bigger Screen™ or 16:9 for that authentic portable cinema experience) to being able to give the internals a bigger footprint.

Anyway, as always I'm impressed by their hardware and disappointed by their software. They make this beautiful, sleek piece of technology and then put more of their increasingly terrible apps and UI decisions on it.

The common explanation seems to be that a major reason for phones getting larger is LTE, which requires extra power. If they've really improved battery life while making the phone even thinner that's impressive. "Still" rocking my plain 4. There's allegedly friction within apple in regards to the skeumorphism (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/11/skeuomorphism-apple). I would rather it go away, but it does still serve a purpose to a lot of users.

Bit of a huge letdown if you ask me. The iPhone 5 essentially boils down to an extra row of icons, despite how Apple's marketing may try and sell it. iOS 6 is just a bunch of minor tweaks with some backwards steps (like Apple maps). iTunes is still the worst thing Apple produce, but that's only seeing an update in October.

From what I've seen, the integration of Windows 8 devices is actually becoming really impressive now. I'm almost sad I switched to Apple based on what I've seen so far.

is Apple maps a step backwards? Thought it was pretty much the same as Google maps, with a new 3D view?

I've been using it for about a month now. There's no Street View, addresses can be inaccurate (just today it couldn't find 84 Beacon Street, Boston -- a debatably famous address!), there's no public transportation information anymore. The 3D Flyover stuff is a terrible gimmick. Looks pretty, but is very slow to load and very useless once it does.

Google Maps on Android is even more impressive, with offline maps and other useful goodies.

Hard to think of a single improvement, really. It just feels like they've taken things away.

Wow, that's awful. I assume Google will roll out their app on the App store at some point? Like they did with the YouTube app.

Only this time, with ads!