N1njaSquirrel

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

According to available information, it shouldn't be an especially rare drop, it appears with a pretty good deal of frequency at all ranks. For low rank, It shows up in areas 3, 4, 8, and 9 in the volcanic hollow with around 10-20% chance for each attempt. Keep in mind that red and blue points mining provide different resources... Though i'm not sure right at this moment which provides firestone. (They might both, i suppose, but with different percentages?)

Tip: If you're using a gather mission, do your loop around the map, but then finish it and restart the quest to reset the gather points. The in-mission respawns of the gathering points can be lengthy and unreliable. Also, be sure to set yourself up with some gathering-related food skills.

Sometimes it can feel like the RNG in the game just randomly decides that it hates you though, definitely.

I would also be. Right now I'm pretty busy, and I want to finish Bloodborne real bad before anything else. But I'm pretty close to finishing bloodborne. Maybe this weekend?

Don't worry about your gear and stuff. It's more important to have fun!

For my own place in this, i'm on pacific time and usually available late at night, but weekends are pretty flexible and maybe other times depending on what people suggest. Also, there is cross-region play between North America and Europe, but there's likely going to be some latency, though it probably shouldn't be too detrimental with the way the game works.

I'd be happy to join in on some low-rank fights, i can easily put together some scrub gear to not throw off the difficulty curve, but i've also been looking around for good people to dig into g-rank with.

Also, be sure to set yourself up with some gathering-related food skills.

Wait...What? How does that work?

Some of the food combos give you skills that boost gathering actions. There are tool tips in the game that will reveal which ones they are and what they do. I don't remember what the exact food/prep combinations are, there's several possibilities.

Just a heads up for anybody who cares: Capcom has put up two more time-limited free item packs. (These are just normal items, like the limited starter pack they did at launch, so don't worry about missing these too much.)

They've also put up the... third? Fourth? Batch of free DLC, a bunch more quests and gear. (Dress yourself up like Samus and your Palico up like Megaman. Or don't.) The first few sets of free DLC's are all still available as well.

In other news, i finally got around to hitting G-rank.

SO, i got this and killed my first big (enough to be targeted) dinosaure. Rawr rawr.

yaay! Well done! Welcome to the fold!

Just a heads up for anybody who cares: Capcom has put up two more time-limited free item packs. (These are just normal items, like the limited starter pack they did at launch, so don't worry about missing these too much.)

They've also put up the... third? Fourth? Batch of free DLC, a bunch more quests and gear. (Dress yourself up like Samus and your Palico up like Megaman. Or don't.) The first few sets of free DLC's are all still available as well.

In other news, i finally got around to hitting G-rank.

Congrats on G Rank! We are nearly there too! Just got the urgent on HR7. Fuck that Snake!

On a completely unrelated note, The power and armour charms you can buy from the shops when you get to 10* Caravan quests are really useful. You can combine them with a deviljho claw and get armour/powerclaw, which increases your defence/attack even more, and then get another charm for even more defense! The only downside is the 4 slots in your inventory you lose to this.

Also, once you're into G-rank, you can craft rarity 10 talismans with relative reliability and will also already have a handful of other less costly options with a smaller possibility of rarity 10 talismans, so don't discard useless talismans, keep them for late-game crafting.

Only if carving a severed tail, otherwise no.

The largest special event beasts, like the Dahren Mohren, have multiple distinct carving spots that might give different stuff, but i'm not sure.

When you're carving, don't forget to crouch! It's quicker, as you don't have to wait to stand up again. It's the only way to get all 6 carves from the Dalamadur before the time ends.

I'm in G-rank now! Oh boy are things getting exciting! I love how deep this game is.

So...this may seem like a dumb question, but how do you know if the monster has a detachable tail? Is it just every monster with a tail, as long as you hit it enough?

You don't, really. Some monsters have tails that can break, which you can identify when they're broken by a breaking noise, and a visual difference. From memory, the ones that have tails you can break but not cut off are: zamitros, kecha-wacha, congalala, nercylla, seltas queen and the rajang.

The great jaggi, iodrome and the velocidrome all have tails that can't be cut off.

There are probably more, but I have Forgotten them!

So I just got to high rank quests, and it seems to have locked me out of urgent low ranked stuff. Should I have finished those urgent before moving on?

Caravan quests, right? There's a prompt right on the screen that will let you swap between low and high rank quests. There are no missable quests. (There is unique gear that you can permanently lose though, mainly quest reward weapons you can only ever get once, and even that auto-block talisman you get at the start of the game, because there are no other auto-block talismans ever.)

Also, if you still haven't made progress in the gathering hall quests with other people because Monster Hunter is primarily a multiplayer focused game, you're eventually going to start getting locked out of solo progression because you haven't progressed far enough in the multiplayer. On the upside, with high rank gear and a couple good palicoes, low rank multiplayer quests will be largely trivialized and easily managed solo, even despite their significantly higher level of difficulty relative to equivalent solo quests.

Also, Capcom just announced Monster Hunter Cross, which is looking to be like it's probably another update to the 4-line. There's some fairly bonkers looking new special moves, there's new areas and enemies and weapons, with some of it apparently integrated from the Frontier mmo. (Which has, up until now, just kind of been a weird divergent evolution of the series, as per my understanding.)

I haven't looked into it too deeply at this point, there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether it's a spin-off or a real followup, but based on what i saw, i think it's probably another iterative release of 4. It looks cool.

Few things to consider:

I completely understand that it will feel somewhat deflating to be mid-dive on 4U and hear of another upcoming game set for winter of this year, so keep in mind that we're a solid year behind Japan on this series because of the slow localization cycle, and if it is an iterative follow-up on 4, there will probably be a save import. (Cross is going to be a 3DS game again, and i believe there was already a save import from 4 to 4g, the latter being the japanese version of 4u.)

It's when I switch to the low rank quests, there's an urgent quest available that I can't access.

Ah, I was worried about the multiplayer progression. Is there any indication when I'll need to start doing the multiplayer?

The game does a lot of weird things with how it unlocks and categorizes quests, so i have no idea what specific circumstance is happening in your case, but i'm probably 99% certain that there are no missable quests. It's something i've looked into and double checked when i ran into some odd circumstances in my own playtime.

That's good to know. I've got to the point in the game where killin' monsters is a thing I'm ok at. I understand how to do it and can beat everything if I concentrate enough. There's still loads I'm missing though and that's exciting.

I was also in for a shock when I didn't get supplies for my first High Rank quest. I never bothered to carry in food because 3 rations were plenty!

I've downloaded all this DLC so far but I don't know where you actually find it, is it all high level quests accessed from the guild hall? 

I put 50 hours into this but haven't played it since April really, keep meaning to but I've been reading more on the commute this year instead. I basically ignored the online side of it (I think I'm HR2 :)) and just did the story mode and now it's probably far too late to find anyone remotely near my level. I just want some sweet costumes.

It's under Event Quests in the Gathering/Elder Hall. And it's not too late at all. There are still loads of people who do gathering hall for fun, even if they're G-Rank.

I'm HL1 still. I have around 38 hours in it. I only got it recently when it was on sale on amazon. I'm up to 5star quests, just killed the gore magala the other night! I want to kill him more though, because there is a nice looking SnS i want to make.

My 3DS has problems with the triggers - they are rather temperamental, and will more often than not fail to respond when pressed. Having played the Monster Hunter demo, I feel like this is probably gonna be a big problem trying to play this game! I've just realised that getting a Circle Pad could resolve the problem, as in addition to providing an additional analog stick it also has another set of triggers. Does anyone here have any experience using the Circle Pad in general, and specifically to play Monster Hunter? I realise this is probably a pretty specific request!