N1njaSquirrel

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Which monster? Which quest? What weapons do you have available?

I'll try and offer some advice.

I got gud. For some reason the monster used it's stun attack less - probably because I kept the heat on it rather than playing defensivly. 

I've gotten to the point where I need to kill two monsters in one quest. I've fought 2 before on the expeditions, but it was super hard and involved a lot of running away and dying.

Is there anything I need to know that could help? Or is this the point where I need to start coop?

Dung bombs are your friend in these cases. Throwing one at a monster will force that monster to go to another area, which is super useful when you have 2 monsters in the same area.

You can make dung bombs by combining dung and bomb casing. I think you can also get them from the wyvern eventually.

I also reccomend the full nerscyila armour, as it gives you trapping expert, which doubles the speed you lay down traps, and another skill that lets you see on the map when enemies can be trapped, providing they're marked on the map. It's certainly saved me more times than I can count!

Yup, dung bombs are your tool for divide and conquer tactics. Keep in mind that if you've already been hacking away at a monster for a while, it can sometimes make more sense to dung bomb the monster you want to fight, since wounded monsters tend to move around more frequently. If you dung bomb the new arrival, your actual target might actually end up leaving soon after anyways and possibly end up in the same area the dung bombed monster fled to. (It can also, in fairly rare circumstances, be useful to have two monsters in one area. The Deviljho is a possible example of this, which while incredibly dangerous and aggressive, has AI that tends to focus on the other monster more than it focuses on you. That said, if the AI isn't being cooperative, quickly go ahead and dung bomb to divide as normal.)

Items in Monster Hunter are so important though. If it feels like there's something you want to do that you're not sure you can do, there's actually probably an item that does it. (The same holds true of the passive buffs gained from food and armor skills.)

Some other valuable things: Null berries remove elemental blights and reduce frenzy buildup, deodorants remove stench and blast buildup. Flash bombs will stun and blind a monster and are also useful for grounding flying monsters, but you need to carefully aim that thing so that it explodes near them and in their cone of vision. Mosswine Jerky cures the rare bleed status, but also restores red health, often making it a more efficient way to restore from status damage or powerful single hits. Sonic bombs are good for surfacing tunneling monsters, mainly. Poison bombs are good for killing small monster bugs without destroying them, so you can carve and build bug armors. (Bnahabras, mainly. The things that fly around and sting you with paralysis.)

Play around with stuff.

Edit: Another useful tip - I always bring a farcaster with me. Initially, a one-use teleport back to the hunter camp doesn't seem amazing, but consider that it has an extremely fast activation animation. I use it like a panic button for when i'm cornered and have only a sliver of health, it's like a free pass out of an otherwise completely dire situation. Helps you cling to those important food bonuses for a little longer, since they normally disappear when you die. (Once back at the camp, sleeping in the bed will heal you and remove all negative statuses, and it will also immediately revive and heal your cats.)

Edit: One other small detail - A way around the tight carry limits on useful items is to bring their component parts into missions instead, combining them as needed.

Ok I officially feel dumb. I have no idea how to get food bonuses. I have a mountain or raw meat, but the cook never gives me any options to make anything. So I end up roasting the meat myself.

Just sit down at the canteen's table and order a combination of two food items. The benefits will persist until you complete a mission or get carted.

The combination determines the skills and stat bonuses earned, with daily skills being randomly set to each combination after every tick of world time, while stats and normal skills are locked to their given combinations. The grade of the ingredients used determines the size of the stat buffs, and based on the freshness of the ingredients, skills may randomly not activate upon finishing the meal. (Freshness is also assigned randomly to different ingredients after each tick of world time.)

That's pretty much it. You always want to eat before every mission, the benefits are enormous. You're making the game much, much more difficult if you're not taking advantage of it. (On top of general stat buffs, you can plug gaps in your armor's elemental defenses, get bonuses to gathering-related skills, increase the strength of status weapons, etc, etc.)

It actually doesn't have anything at all to do with raw meat, it's an entirely different system. (Though you do eventually get to use the canteen to cook steaks outside of missions, ten at a time.)

Urgh, I didn't realise I could just sit down. I assumed I had to talk to the guy.

I generally go through the combo list, and make whatever I possibly can just to see the options. There's so much for me to learn, and I'm kinda getting over the grinding/farming for stuff, since I generally play while watching TV.

Talking of the dung bomb, I didn't get it to work. The monster just kind of ignored it. I kept attacking, so it might have been that, but I had no idea how to get it to work.

Dung bombs won't usually take immediate effect, they can take a good ten seconds or so to do their thing and drive away a monster. (You know you landed the hit if there's a brown cloud around the monster.)

I understand that they can, very rarely, actually fail though. It's something that happens so infrequently that if it seems to happen, i don't realize that something's wrong until long after it seems to have happened. It just seems like the dung bomb cloud can occasionally dissipate before the monster is coerced into relocating. It also seems to me that monsters may have variable resistances to the dung bombs. That all said, if it happens, you can throw another one after it's failed and it'll probably work the second time. (Maybe it won't!) To be clear though, I don't believe there's any stacking benefit from throwing more while the debuff is already active on the monster. (Maybe there is though, i don't know!)

Specifics like this are where people kind of tend to throw up their hands and shrug. Best to keep it simple: Dung bombs are where you throw literal shit at monsters to make them go away.

Edit: I just realized i didn't respond to it directly, but it probably is actually true that continuing to attack a dung bombed monster will render the bomb ineffective.

Argh, there are so many systems that interlink. One thing I'm having trouble with is that certain monsters don't show when they're injured as obviously as others. Once a monster has gone to sleep, it's time to trap them...right? Or do they have to be limping or whatever the equivalent is?

It's s really good game though, I must have put a ton of hours into it so far. I'd love to do some coop, how do I find my friend code?

I've figured out the insect glaive, and I really like it. It has a build up time, but once you get 2/3 buffs, then you can start pumping out some serious damage.

when they're asleep, it's because they're low on health, and sleeping recovers some (just like when you sleep in a bed). Sleeping for me is the de-facto indicator that they're trappable. If you enter an area too quickly after they've limped off to another location, it can interrupt their route to their sleeping spot, so if you do notice they're limping, hold back a bit and see on the map if they're moving or not.

To find your friend code, go to the 3DS menu screen and click on the orange square with a face on it. Your friend code should be displayed below your mii.

Actually, I just experienced differently. I was chasing a Narajala (I think that's the right name? Big green snake with legs that shoot exploding shards from its tail) and came upon it sleeping. I put down a shock trap and when it got caught in it I pelted it with tranq bombs. I threw about 4 or 5 and nothing happened.

I suppose that while sleeping it had regained enough health to be barely above the capturable threshold.

As you suggest, i'm also fairly sure that if a monster goes off to rest and you take an inordinately long time to find it, it can heal back up out of the capture threshold. (Keep your monsters paintballed!) Normally if a monster has a lot of health, it will go hunt other small monsters to restore its health instead of wandering off to sleep.

Still, outside of skills that specifically reveal when the monster is ready to be captured, limping is definitely the most reliable tell. The threshold for a monster beginning to limp is usually similar to the capture threshold, but actually just a bit below it. (Which means that using the limp as your tell gives you a bit of leeway to avoid the above scenario.)

Keep in mind though, monsters don't always follow a predictable behaviors. I've had monsters near death with me having no awareness of it because an enraged state was overriding any obvious limp and its instinct to flee and heal.

Since we're talking about tracking, here's a fun secret: Sometimes you'll notice that there's a hot air balloon that will appear randomly in the sky above many areas in a given quest. If you face towards it and do the "wave" gesture, it flashes a signal back at you which reveals the current locations of all the large monsters in your quest. (For only a few seconds, so be sure to back out of the gesture menu quickly so you can check your map. You can also only use it once per mission, in missions where it happens to show up.)

Griddlelol: If you're settling on the bug staff as your main, i hope you're abusing the hell out of the pole vault.

Also, i'm totally game for some multiplayer if the timezones work out. We don't actually necessarily need to exchange friend codes in advance, we could just post the room code and its password. I made a thread in the multiplayer networking subforum a while ago with some details about match-making in m4hu.

Yeah I've killed a monster with glowing red eyes who didn't flee. I assumed there was some sort of enrage.

The hot air balloon thing is crazy! And yeah, the pole vault is so good. I found out (from just experimenting) that I can knock a flying monster to the ground by vaulting up and hitting it. I was able to destroy a fleeing monster by effectively stun locking it by knocking it out the air every time it tried to escape.

Yeah I've killed a monster with glowing red eyes who didn't flee. I assumed there was some sort of enrage.

The red eyes thing is different than a monster being enraged. An enraged monster will just attack repeatedly and ferociously, perhaps with different moves, and so relentlessly that it sometimes puts itself in an exhausted state. It's a normal part of every fight, even if you're not necessarily noticing it yet. The red eyes though, that's frenzy. (It's a "virus" that some monsters in some quests will be infected with.) It's similar in the sense that it means the monster will be way more aggressive, but there's a lot of special mechanics happening there. (Most significantly, its attacks can afflict you with a debuff. A new status bar will show up on your screen, and when it maxes out, you'll be afflicted with a small health debuff. If you attack enough anything before it triggers though, you can gain a rather significant attack buff instead. Nulberries reduce the buildup of the meter and can give you more time to build for the positive buff.)

That said, i have also definitely seen frenzied monsters refuse to limp away and just keep fighting to the absolute end.

You can tell an enraged monster because they huff a puff and slobber a lot by the way.

That is actually also not the indication that the monster is enraged, that is the exhausted state. It does, however, often come after a monster has been enraged and has severely reduced its own stamina, but it can also come about from hitting it with weapons that do exhaust damage. (Certain ranged ammo types do it, but the hammer is another good source of exhaust damage, which is different from the KO damage it also does.)

Whereas you want to be very cautious when a monster is angry, you absolutely want to capitalize on a monster being exhausted, as much as you possibly can. (Also, be careful not to misread a monster being exhausted as it limping, that can lead to you wasting traps and tranqs. Look for the tell-tale drool of the exhausted state. Though, i suppose, the two states could potentially overlap, in which case it would be fine to go for the capture.)

There's no common outward indicator of when a monster is enraged, it varies from monster to monster and often, but not always, overlaps with a super-powered mode. The Tigrex gains visibly red veins and becomes wildly reckless and aggressive, the Deviljho puffs up and starts spitting dragon-element fumes around. Some monsters will have no visible state changes like that though, they'll just be more aggressive, and others still will have other state changes that don't coincide with their enraged state.

*sigh* Apparently that's another thing I misinterpreted from guides I read online.  

I just had an amazing hunt today. It was against a Rathian. I had been rocking it, barely taking any damage, using antidotes timely and broke its breakable section.

It started limping so I threw down a trap and the adrenaline kicked in, I fumbled with the tranq bombs, not managing to select them in a timely manner, and ended up missing. It broke out the trap while I fumbled, and hit me with a fire ball, and flew off. The paintball then wore off, I managed to find it fairly fast, but it had healed up enough to require more than one combo. It then started putting the hurt on me, and I kept making mistakes until finally I vaulted, mounted and knocked it down with a successful mount. I sent out my kinsect to reapply a buff...and it died.

It was exhilarating and infuriating, monster hunter is great.

Is anybody here ever going to be interested in getting something going for MP?

I would be. I've had a bit of a monster hunter burn out recently, as I played for about 24 hours over the course of a week. Unfortunately I'm away for 4 days this week, but next I'll be interested in trying MP:

I'm generally playing between 6pm and 10pm BST. Be warned - I'm pretty bad, and my gear sucks. 

I would also be. Right now I'm pretty busy, and I want to finish Bloodborne real bad before anything else. But I'm pretty close to finishing bloodborne. Maybe this weekend?

Don't worry about your gear and stuff. It's more important to have fun!

So...Firestone is freaking rare. I can't seem to mine it anywhere in the volcano area despite going through there around 10 times. My palico found one! Never me though.