Blambo

Programming in General

Great stuff Erkki, thanks. I definitely agree that trying to think functionally is very helpful even if you're not necessarily working in a functional language.

After a few years of working in C++ I'm now working in C# and am getting really into it. It's crazy how easy you can create anonymous functions to hand around little bits of logic, or even pass around methods as Actions. A few years ago I spent a while trying to set up functors in C++ and just couldn't get the templating stuff to work (we were rolling all our own stuff, so couldn't use Boost or anything). Anyway. C# is pretty sweet!

For anybody interested in game programming, have a look at http://handmadehero.org/

Handmade Hero is a project to develop a real professional-quality game from scratch and stream and comment on the whole programming part of it. It's meant as a teaching material for aspiring game programmers.

I'm pretty confident it will be great because of the guy behind the project: Casey Muratori. Not only he's an experienced programmer who worked on some of the best-quality libraries in the game industry, he also likes and knows how to talk about programming in an insightful no-BS way.

Just a small dsiclaimer: The course looks like a long-time commitment and it's intended for people really interested in how games work underneath and how to program them including very low-level stuff so I'm not sure it's a good time investment for people interested in scripting in Unity or other tools.

Kind of a steep learning curve going from JS to c++ game engine development, but I'm sure you can do it!