Sign in to follow this  
Architecture

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

By and large, this was fantastic. Probably the best of the Marvel movies, at least in my opinion. The ending could have been less bombastic, but overall it was a fun, tightly-plotted action movie.

This film will eternally remind us that even fucking Batroc the Leaper got to appear in a movie before Wonder Woman.

It was okay. It had a fair few cool moments and scenes, but it was also far too long and often a bit of a slog. It wanted to be a Cold War thriller but wasn't sharp enough to pull it off - it was full of cliches and boring soldier men, and very predictable. It kind of made me want to be watching a Nick Fury movie instead.

Two of the coolest moments featured older actors in cameos but were then squandered -

1) Jenny Agutter suddenly being kick-ass, which I was already hoping for Alan Dale to at least give a go, which was then deflated by it turning out to be Black Widow; 2) Gary Shandling turning up and then whispering "Hail Hydra", which was so ace but then got tied off with the usual "CIA pulls up in front of minor bad guy in end montage" scene.

I agree that most of the harsh edges have been sanded off, but that's Disney & Marvel for you. I appreciate how much this movie does to expand the feel of the Marvel Universe more than I dislike the half measures. I was just happy to see Scarlett Johanson and Sam Jackson actually get something to do in one of these movies. It also has probably the most cogent, well-staged action of any of the Marvel films, instead of losing itself inside shaky-cam lightspeed edits.

Perfect? Of course not, but Winter Soldier is probably the best action film we've seen in a while.

I agree that most of the harsh edges have been sanded off, but that's Disney & Marvel for you. I appreciate how much this movie does to expand the feel of the Marvel Universe more than I dislike the half measures. I was just happy to see Scarlett Johanson and Sam Jackson actually get something to do in one of these movies. It also has probably the most cogent, well-staged action of any of the Marvel films, instead of losing itself inside shaky-cam lightspeed edits.

Perfect? Of course not, but Winter Soldier is probably the best action film we've seen in a while.

I don't require films to be perfect, which is what you seem to be implying, just not dull, predictable and cliched. 

I agree that the action is well-staged, but a lot of it is also generally quite dull - by-the-books guns and martial arts fighting. although as I say, it has a handful of exceptions.

Unfortunately, it's been a rotten year for action, so it doesn't have much to beat...

By and large, I thought this was a great movie. Then again, humor goes a long way with me. Chris Evans is a very charismatic actor, and love how his portrayal of Captain America comes of a genuine, good-humored, and a little aloof. I think the action in this movie was a little lacking, but one of the better Avengers-series movies out there for me.

Also agreed about the Samuel L. gag at the end.

You're right! I haven't been able to enjoy any film ever, it's a curse. I got close to enjoying Back To The Future, but that line about a "rhythmic ceremonial ritual" is too cartoonish, and I was almost able to enjoy "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" - having assumed that when the German soldiers on the U-Boat say "tauchen" meaning "dive", the fact that they also mention extending the periscope means they only dove a couple of metres and Indy could have survived the trip to the island hanging onto the scope - but that bit in the marketplace where someone shoots a machine-gun directly at Indy but it hits the ground in front of him for no reason meant I couldn't.

When will my quest for perfection end?! 

When will my quest for perfection end?! 

Babe: Pig in the City?

Babe: Pig in the City?

Just went and watched this for the first time and you're right, that was the one! Thanks!

This film will eternally remind us that even fucking Batroc the Leaper got to appear in a movie before Wonder Woman.

They put Batroc the Leaper in this film????

I don't require films to be perfect, which is what you seem to be implying, just not dull, predictable and cliched. 

You're inferring, I'm not implying. And if you wanted something less formulaic, you should probably look elsewhere; after all, this is adapted from a comic book.

So I saw this and was actually pretty excited going in as this seems to be getting a lot of buzz, plus Captain America is probably my favorite Marvel character and the Ed Brubaker Winter Soldier issues. I actually ended up coming out pretty underwhelmed. It's a competent big budget action movie, but for me that was basically all it was. I guess I should have lowered my expectations given that I didn't care for Iron Man 1 or The Avengers at all (I didn't watch any of the other movies). It just kind of sucks given how much I loved the source material, but at least it's nice to see other people enjoying it and I'm sure my friends will like it.

There seems to be some more good stuff coming out though, I'm excited for Guardians of the Galaxy, but for now Spiderman 2 is still my favorite superhero movie.

I went in with little knowledge of source material.  That is I haven't really read comics much in 20 years, and I hated captain america at the time.  I did however enjoy the first movie and this one.  They got me on board with him.  I don't think it was crazy amazing or anything, but I've enjoyed my time with both movies.  I felt this one was more even in terms of my enjoyment. The first one i really liked the first half and was ok on the second half.  There were no surprises for me in winter soldier, but I enjoyed the ride for what it was.  I do however tend to hold back my expectations regardless of what movie I'm going to see, so I guess I have that going for me.

There is a certain...austerity, I suppose, to the Marvel films that even Winter Soldier can't shake, but I think it's the most stylistically unique of the bunch--even if it is trading on a borrowed style. There's also something incredibly distracting about the digital cinematography that freaks my eyes out. It reminds me of the way a BBC show looks, as if it's shot in PAL as opposed to 24 FPS.

If I had to pick a favorite super hero flick, it'd be The Dark Knight. Ledger's performance was one for the ages. The movie itself just looks absolutely astounding. Seeing it opening night on a true IMAX screen was something else. Spider-Man 2 and X2 certainly are up there, however.

And if you wanted something less formulaic, you should probably look elsewhere; after all, this is adapted from a comic book.

It's not that it was formulaic as such, I meant more that the twists and reveals were all massively predictable.

My favourite super hero movies are Batman, The Incredibles, Unbreakable and Mystery Men, with Blade, X-Men/X2 double-bill, Batman Begins and Iron Man as close contenders.

If we went for comic book movies, then I'd start with The Crow, Persepolis, Akira, Oldboy and Hellboy 2, Constantine, The Mask....

I guess I enjoy Captain America as the Superman movies DC should have made. Captain America himself is an archetype, and Marvel understands that what is interesting about the archetypal hero is the conflict between the hero and the world that continually fails the hero. The most striking scene of First Avenger is the one where they make a super-soldier sell war bonds, because as an archetypal hero he is inspiring, but the military really needs the public inspired, not their soldiers. Eventually he finagles the opportunity to inspire the men in the field, to fight evil directly instead of the short-term revenue raising.

The Superman movies struggle a lot with the idea of an archetypical hero, either making it about straight punching, or about Superman's struggle to live up to the archetype. Not surprisingly, they all suck. What's interesting about Superman is how Metropolis responds; the famous radio serials put us in Metropolis from the very opening. Superman's powers have never been the point, which is in part why they'd been frequently added to over the years.

If we went for comic book movies, then I'd start with The Crow, Persepolis, Akira, Oldboy and Hellboy 2, Constantine, The Mask....

Having watched it again the other day, I still really like A History of Violence for examples of comic book adaptations.

Ghost World is a pretty rad comic book adaptation. I also hear that The Road to Perdition is good too.

I liked Constantine and also didn't like it solely because rather than a funny blonde British guy named Constantine they got a Keanu Reeves named ConstantEEn

I just watched this. I really like the part where capt America kicks people and they fly like 20ft.