Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

When politics, the media and games collide

I don't think we have a dedicated thread around here for when politicians try to meddle in the gaming business, seems like the kind of thing we ought to have.  If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction (I didn't find anything).

The big news this week is of course about Leland Yee, one of the anti-gaming crusaders of the last few years, and one that has claimed that games lead to violence.  And now one of the crimes he's accused of is illegally trafficking in guns.  Delicious schadenfreude.

I think this just proves his point. Even the indirect contact he had with games over the years turned him into a gunrunner. Actual gamers are probably pretty much serial killers.

The detail about him stealing sun-tan lotion in Hawaii is what gets me.

Fuck you NBC, and probably other outlets who will lead the story in the same way.

An X-Box, a Nintendo Wii and a Sony Playstation, along with dozens of games and gaming paraphernalia, an iPod, an iPad and three computers were taken from the home of the Pennsylvania high school stabbing suspect, according to an affidavit released Monday.

Because the absolute most important detail to use in a story about the school stabbing suspect is that he owned video games. 

Also found: 2 liters of Mt Dew, a pair of Levi jeans, and some contact lens cleaner. Surely, the only conclusion to be made based on these findings is that Levi jeans make you 75% more likely to stab someone.

Also found: 2 liters of Mt Dew, a pair of Levi jeans, and some contact lens cleaner. Surely, the only conclusion to be made based on these findings is that Levi jeans make you 75% more likely to stab someone.

Don't forget about the snacking paraphernalia (a fork) and clothing paraphernalia (a belt and some socks). 

Second time this year that Dark Souls has been a part of a murder story.  Clearly so important that it needed to be in the headline AND the first bullet point.

Schoolboy, 15, accused of stabbing teacher was 'loner' who played online video games Dark Souls and Grand Theft Auto

• Schoolboy posted about Dark Souls and Grand Theft Auto games

Yeah my girlfriend mentioned this, she was probably reading the daily mail website. I watched a lengthy BBC news segment about it in which they didn't mention video games, thank god. It's tends to be more the bull shit print media

The annotations in the Animal Crossing video perfectly stress the abundant errors.