Trip Hazard

Album of the Year, '13

In no particular order:

• Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

my favorite track from it:

• Atoms for Peace - AMOK

• Bill Callahan - Dream River

• Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Aw man, we do not see eye to eye on this. For me, this is a bunch of legacy bands releasing their least interesting works. I wanted to like these records so much more than I did.

Huerco S. - Colonial Patterns

Just discovered this record a couple of weeks ago (I think it came out in September?), but it is like the most interesting electronic stuff in a long while. This dude got a rep as making "outsider house music" whatever that means, but that is definitely not applicable here. This one is way too atmospheric to really work in a dance floor context it's just cool, weird music.

Aw man, we do not see eye to eye on this. For me, this is a bunch of legacy bands releasing their least interesting works. I wanted to like these records so much more than I did.

I can see where you're coming from, but at least with Nick Cave and Atoms for Peace it was the complete opposite for me. Haven't listened to Nick Cave in ages and this brought me back. Same with Atoms for Peace, that's the first thing since In Rainbows I really like. (I know Atoms for Peace isn't the same as Radiohead or his solo work, but I tend to put all these in the category "stuff Thom Yorke makes")

And for me the new Bill Callahan isn't as good as Apocalypse, but still pretty good. ;)

In no particular order. EDIT: Why won't all of the videos show? :/

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Palms - Palms

Autechre - Exai

My Bloody Valentine - mbv

Shapeshifter - DELTA

The only full-length that kept feeling fresh as a whole entity, and one that I still crave today:

Danny Brown - Old

Runner's Up:

Julia Holter - Loud City Song

Gorgeous stuff. Latter half of the album loses momentum

Holden - The Inheritors

Lots of great work with texture. It's like maximalist drone-based dance music.

Rhye - Woman

Makeout jams. Maybe a little too smooth production (and some terrible lyric work).

Zomby - With Love

Some of my favorite tracks of the year from this double-album, but the whole package comes off a little dull.

Yeah! That Holden record feels punchier than most electronic albums - I think because of the acoustic elements he brings in...

Haven't heard of Jega before. Thanks for the rec! Added Geometry to my seemingly miles-long "Music to listen to" playlist. :D