Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Batman Origins

This game feels like a less polished version of Arkham City.  :tmeh:

So far I have had to Google my way to the next mission because the waypoint marker refused to show up, and encountered a bug where I can't shut down one of the Comms tower jammers because batman refuses to climb into a vent. 

One of my friends on another forum has had his save corrupt twice. : (

That being said, I watched the fight with Deathstroke on Giant Bomb and I really dug the way they put that whole sequence together.

I've been watching a lot of videos, including the Giant Bomb quick look, and must say it has whetted my appetite. Not really for the gameplay, which looked - to be honest - like a lot of work instead of a lot of fun. But the crime scene investigation stuff looked rad and the slow mystery of the Joker, well, that's something that'll always grab my attention.

But, you know, I'll wait until it's 5 euros on Steam, in a year or two. That's fine.

I can imagine this game getting discounted fairly quickly.

The crime scene stuff is super linear, they're not puzzle's just "find the next clue"

I'm digging the story though and the gameplay is the same as before. Gliding around is fantastic and the fighting is mostly an enjoyable challenge, I've been knocked on my arse quite a few times but it has not got irritating yet

Just started playing this and I am enjoying myself quite a bit.

It's a shame that the investigation mechanic is as linear as it is, just like Mington notes above, but the Enigma stuff seems like it could satisfy my craving for some minor puzzling somewhat.

Overall quite positively surprised

Never played any of the previous Arkham games so I don't feel the disappointment many seem to express over how iterative this sequel is.

I'm loving it

Only issue I have had are the 15 Wayne tech challenges for predator(stealth) missions

There are three sets of Wayne tech challenges. Fighting, traversal and predator which need to be unlocked in sequence. Fighting and traversal can be attempted at any time out in the open world, but the predator missions only seem to work during the finite story missions. So I've kind of shot myself on the foot by not paying attention to them

Top tip: check your Wayne tech challenges often

So I finished this on Sunday. I don't really know what to say. I got to spend a couple of weeks gliding round Gotham as the goddamn batman, and it's was gud!

I enjoyed the story, it's grittier :-/ it's as good as or better than Arkham City in my book, considering I can't even remember what the plot was in city... League of shadows something something, what did I even do for the first ten hours in that game... And why? Arkham origins on the other had has a nice three act plot that I'm pretty sure I'll remember in a couple of years time.

All in all it was better than I thought it would be, although lacking a little polish

I instantly gave up on the riddler trophies as soon as the credits rolled because there are far to many of them much like i did in Arkham City

Well worth your time when it hits that sweet price point.

SuSFnho.png

– Help me, please!

The combat in this game is pretty fun, but how in the blazing fires of hell do you manage keep a combo going?! One of the early combat challenges is finishing combat without leaving whatever thing happens when you reach an x15 combo, and I never even come close! I can pretty consistently counter people and beat everyone up, but during a fight there's usually a couple of brief pauses where everyone is on the floor or whatever and my batman just stops for a minute and loses flow. I remember struggling with this in all the Batman games, so I have the feeling there's a simple thing I'm overlooking. What is the key, the secret, the protip, to getting a combo to last?

Really like this game. Feels like a 90's Burton Batman. Challenges add depth, not just achievement grinding. Voice acting is superb. Might have said that I would like better writing and characters, but its the third game in a franchise that never set a high bar for that sort of thing.

I think you just need a large group of regular enemies and to keep them separated from each other so that you can safely jump from one to another constantly. Maybe one of the combat training simulations would be ideal for that?

I think I got that challenge before I even knew how the challenge system worked, and I imagine it would have been frustrating to try deliberately to achieve that. In my opinion, the challenge system is kinda dumb, especially the predator "path", and I'm more or less ignoring them at this point.

Does a group finisher of n guys increase the combbo counter by n?

Remember that dodging over an enemies head continues your combo, so if you're running low on enemies you can buy some time for people to stand up.

Yeah, I found out the dodging thing, which seems like the «glue» I need to cobble something together. Apparently you only get one dodge before you have to punch another guy, though, which I guess makes sense.

Also if it's like City/Asylum, you're able to leap across the entire room to keep the combo going, which can be very useful if you're being surrounded by dudes.

Sure, but only the first three times (regular, new game+, and new mask black game++.) As you surely know, the timing is harder on king of snakes onyx vestment fantasy+++