Nelsormensch

Netrunner!

That makes the game even more interesting. I think we just assumed that the runner could trash whatever they want because the corp can trash cards when they install them.

I'm re-reading some of the rules now.

The only installed cards the Runner can trash are programs and then only when they are installing another program.

I'm planning on taking over my core set to game night this weekend and let people fuck around trying to build little skirmish decks. Should be fun. 

Also, FUCK I am bad at grokking rules in tabletops. I was doing the icebreaker/ice strength thing TOTALLY wrong. What's some other junk that is obvious but I am dumb and might not have realized?

-Rezzing ice or assets is different than installing it

-corps lose when they can't draw a card

-read the cards carefully for words like "may" or "instead of"

-when the last agenda point is accessed or scored, the game is over regardless of what can be done immediately afterwards.

-make sure you aren't going over the influence allotted on your identity card

-make sure you have the required amount of agenda points in your deck.

-you can't use a clickability during a run or during anything that requires a click unless the card says you can. (For a while, we were trying to use multiple event cards at the same time. Don't do that.)

Be mindful of the exact wording of cards. For example, clicking Sneakdoor Beta:

1. is a run, so no other run card can be used at the same time

2. on Archives, so you can't use something like the virus counters on Pheromones counters

3. that counts as a successful run on HQ, so you do get virus counters for Pheromones.

Rad. I think I'm playing correctly now. I somehow thought that to interact with ice you needed to have a total combined strength in icebreakers and then and icebreaker to interact with whatever type of ice. Our games are ending a lot quicker now though, The first three or four games took forever and dragged on and on because no one did anything,

These aren't obvious, but they are things that I didn't realize initially

- when you bypass a card (as with Femme Fatale) you don't trigger any "when you encounter" conditions on a piece of ice (no Tollbooth fee or Data Raven token)

- a run is considered successful before you access any cards, so the trigger for Nerve Agent or Medium happens before you access cards and may affect the number of cards you can see

- not a rule per se, but most corp decks will run 49 cards with 20 points worth of agendas, for the most favourable non-agenda to agenda card ratio

Looking at my Gabe deck, I hate how obligated I feel to take placrete carapace.

I'd love a way to use it in service of something other than Scorched Earths that might never come.

Decoy works pretty well as Scorched protection, as long as you're not planning on floating tags.

Decoy works pretty well as Scorched protection, as long as you're not planning on floating tags.

Yeah, in faction, I'd probably take Decoy over Plascrete. Cheaper and still useful to save important Resources even if your opponent isn't going the Scorched route.

Yeah, in faction, I'd probably take Decoy over Plascrete. Cheaper and still useful to save important Resources even if your opponent isn't going the Scorched route.

Unfortunately, it does nothing against Punitive Counterstrike if that's worrying you, nor does it really help if they're using Midseason to Scorch. But otherwise, it's a great option.

I'm reading through CardGameDB trying to figure out what expansion we want next (I'd really like to boost the anarchy faction). I just read the description for Escher; card seems crazy powerful. You can't do that. That's crazy. 

I'm actually thinking that Creation & Control is what my anarchy decks might need. Atman, Chakana, Daily Casts, and possibly even Freelance Coding Contract look like they might give my Anarchist more flexibility. I'm taking suggestions though. 

If I have a 1MU program out, can I install Omni-Drive and host that program? Also, can I change which program Omni-Drive hosts at any time?

If I have a 1MU program out, can I install Omni-Drive and host that program? Also, can I change which program Omni-Drive hosts at any time?

No in both cases. Programs already installed can't be moved onto an Omni-Drive nor can the program hosted on Omni-Drive change arbitrarily. If you install a new program, you can trash the one that's on Omni-Drive and then it'll be free to host something else (e.g. the program you just installed) but that's it.

You can use Scavenge to move it though. In fact, any program with an "on install" ability can take advantage of this (femme, overmind, etc).

Hey, I'm looking to buy a bunch of data packs (all of them eventually, if possible), but I'm having trouble finding some of the earlier Genesis Cycle packs online. Is there a good place to get them, or is eBay my best bet? 

Hey, I'm looking to buy a bunch of data packs (all of them eventually, if possible), but I'm having trouble finding some of the earlier Genesis Cycle packs online. Is there a good place to get them, or is eBay my best bet? 

Amazon and CoolStuffInc are both often reasonable placed to buy data packs. If the pack you want seems too expensive there or isn't available, that probably means it's temporarily out of stock across the board. They reprint all the old packs fairly regularly, so if you check periodically I'd expect an opportunity to pick up whatever you can't find will come along in a couple months? (They list reprints for some Genesis cycle packs in Q1 of 2015 on their website.) If you don't want to wait that long, I'd check eBay and maybe call some local shops.

- when you bypass a card (as with Femme Fatale) you don't trigger any "when you encounter" conditions on a piece of ice (no Tollbooth fee or Data Raven token)

Wait, is this actually true? Because the wording on the card seems to imply otherwise:

When you install Femme Fatale, choose an installed piece of ice. When you encounter that ice, you may spend 1 [Credits] per subroutine on that ice to bypass it.

How come you get one "when you encounter" trigger but not the other? 

Edit: Nevermind, I checked the FAQ and it says

Bypassing prevents any unresolved conditional abilities that met their trigger condition when the ice was encountered from resolving.

Which is not how I expected that to work, but I guess that's why FAQ's exist. I just got this game, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

Wait, is this actually true? Because the wording on the card seems to imply otherwise:

How come you get one "when you encounter" trigger but not the other? 

Edit: Nevermind, I checked the FAQ and it says

Which is not how I expected that to work, but I guess that's why FAQ's exist. I just got this game, so I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

Yeah, it's because whoever's turn it is, their abilities take precedence. If it helps to think about it this way, the runner uses Femme (or Inside Job or whatever else that bypasses) and skips past the ICE. The corp's "on encounter" ability would take place, but the runner is already skipped past the ICE and is gone, so there's no one around for the ICE to effect.

Feel free to shout if you have any more questions!

So me and my girlfriend finally sat down to play or first ever game tonight. I have some super baby questions for y'all:

So if on a run, an ice is rezzed, and the runner skips all the subroutines, what happens to the ice? Does it just stay there? And can you unrez an ice? If so, when?

If a runner accesses an agenda and steals it, what happens to the ice protecting that server? Is it trashed? Can the corporation trash ice? Is there any point to doing so?

This is my first ever card game, so sorry for the barrage of dumb questions.

So if on a run, an ice is rezzed, and the runner skips all the subroutines, what happens to the ice? Does it just stay there? And can you unrez an ice? If so, when?

The basic way it works is the corp pays to rez ice once, and then it stays on that server and rezzed indefinitely. The runner has to keep paying every time they run that server or the ice subroutines will fire every time. You didn't mention it specifically but it's a common misconception so I'll point it out: if the ice doesn't say that it ends the run, the runner can continue. So the runner can decide that it's not worth paying to break a piece of ice and just suffer the subroutines and keep going if that suits them.

Once ice is rezzed, it will stay rezzed (barring cards that say it derezzes explicitly, like Emergency Shutdown, or Cell Portal). If it does get derezzed by a card, you just flip it back over, no money back or anything for the corp.

If a runner accesses an agenda and steals it, what happens to the ice protecting that server? Is it trashed?

When the runner accesses an agenda from a remote server, the ice stays there and the server is now empty. The corp could play another card into that server next turn, protected by all that same ice. A common tactic is to play a card into a server, even one that isn't explicitly an ambush, hoping the runner will think it's an agenda and go broke getting in to access it, then play an agenda in a following turn

Can the corporation trash ice? Is there any point to doing so?

The corp can trash any amount of ice on a server when they install ice on a server. Any ice they leave behind shifts down and the new ice always goes on the outside. The main reason to trash ice is that it costs more credits to install multiple ice in the same server, and you may want to save the credits if some of your ice is made irrelevant by the runner ice breakers. A common example would be Enigma when they have a Yog.0 installed: it doesn't even cost them money to get through so you may not want to pay the cost.

Sweet. That totally makes sense. Hopefully our 2nd game will be easier now!

One more question: If a corp lays down an ambush card, can he advance it, to make it look like an agenda card? Is there special rules to advancing an ambush card? I was Jinteki and there's a snare (might be wrong about the name) which costs 0 credits to rez. What would happen to those advance tokens?

My understanding is that non-agenda cards that can be advanced will say so on the card, and will say what the advancement tokens do in that case. Otherwise I don't think non-agendas can be advanced. I'm still pretty new to this game though, so I may be wrong.