Jake

Idle Thumbs 118: A Simple Litter

I got to the part in SR3 that Giant Bomb went apeshit over, where you para drop onto the top of a high rise to "Power", and it was pretty neat for 45 seconds. Then the rest of the mission was a really goddamn mediocre 3rd person shooting sequence. The gameplay didn't hold up for me over the first few hours to want to keep going, and it wasn't ~crazy hilarious~ enough for me to sustain that.

I had the exact same experience. I think if I were 14 again I'd enjoy it but I'm at the point in my life where if 80% of the game is mediocre 3rd person shooting, and it's a LONG game, I'm not going to bother suffering through it.

If nothing else, has anyone told the Thumbs that the canonical ending to Saints Row the Third is not only based on Red Faction Guerilla, butis based on Chris' "Space Asshole" interpretation of Red Faction Guerilla. You spend the last twenty minutes fucking around on a mining colony on Mars, jumping your stupid space truck off of ridges. For real.

The one instance where the marketing for Saints Row turned out to be kind of brilliant is how they hyped up the romance system without ever explaining how it works, which is literally just pressing X once to make your character say "Hey Kinzie, wanna' fuck?"

One of the few times I've literally laughed out loud at a video game. I always found Bioware romance stories unbelievable and formulaic (talk to the NPC enough and they'll want to fuck), so this really hit a good note for me. 

If nothing else, has anyone told the Thumbs that the canonical ending to Saints Row the Third is not only based on Red Faction Guerilla, butis based on Chris' "Space Asshole" interpretation of Red Faction Guerilla. You spend the last twenty minutes fucking around on a mining colony on Mars, jumping your stupid space truck off of ridges. For real.

WHAT. What.

WHAT. What.

I'm trying to find a youtube video but all these assholes run past all the space trucks and aren't not jumping ramps, just walking off them.

I've played this recently, so: the sell-out ending to Saints Row the Third is that you shoot a Saints Row movie called Gangsters in Space. You move through a Mars movie set jumping trucks off ramps and blowing up bases, and being generally sociopathic because Saints Row, but Teg's overselling it because you're mostly shooting up the villain's base and not just going to random colonists and destroying everything they own for no reason.

It's stupid and video gamey because you basically chose to sell out and be wacky Video game characters instead of violent mobsters.