Zeusthecat

The Big LucasArts Playthrough

This is probably the only thread in the entire inter web where we're still spoiler tagging old LucasArts adventure games. I love it!

Zeusthecat. You're awesome.

After another 30 minutes of toiling I finally figured out how to get into the junk yard. It turns out I needed to put the lock on the door to prevent it from opening when the chain is pulled and then use the chain to climb up the wall. I thought I had tried that already but I was obviously mistaken. After making my way through the junk yard I came to the area with the dog and was able to lure him into a car with the meat. Then I got stuck again for a little while trying to figure out what I was supposed to do before discovering that I could use the junk yard magnet thing to pick up the cars. So I stacked up some of the cars and suspended the car with the dog above the ground but wasn't able to figure out what I was supposed to do next before I had to go to bed.

I'm guessing that I need to go around and pick up all of the cars in that area to uncover the forks. I think they will either be under one of the cars or I will need to drop the cars from higher up to smash them or something. From what I can tell I'm not able to really interact with any of the cars in a meaningful way and unless the dog is suspended he will try to murder my ass whenever I do anything in that area. I'm also hoping that I find something in the junkyard that will help me get to the top of the gas tower without those assholes shooting me down. I tried a few more times last night and I don't see how I can get up there with what I currently have. It seems that once I set off the alarm I can either try to climb the tower or run away and once the helicopter shows up my interactions are frozen until it leaves again, at which point the alarm is reset.

So I'm definitely struggling a bit more with this game. I still really like it but I'm surprised that it has had me stumped for so long this early on in the game. 

I'm also hoping that I find something in the junkyard that will help me get to the top of the gas tower without those assholes shooting me down. I tried a few more times last night and I don't see how I can get up there with what I currently have. It seems that once I set off the alarm I can either try to climb the tower or run away and once the helicopter shows up my interactions are frozen until it leaves again, at which point the alarm is reset.

Honestly, this was one of my least favorite puzzles in the game.  I'll give you a hint though

You don't need any items to get the gas besides the portable gas tank and hose.  Try making use of the environment itself.

As for why I don't like it

contrary to the logic of locking the gate and climbing the chain, it never made sense to me that you can just hide behind something to avoid being seen by a flying hovercraft with bright spotlights on it.  Under something maybe but ducking into the shadows seems like it wouldn't work in this situation.  I also don't like that the hiding spot is just a static piece of the background.  The whole thing seems counter intuitive in an adventure game.

Incidentally (because this discussion reminded me of it), backers of DFA might have seen the video of Tim Schafer playing Full Throttle. He took so long to find the lock picks that I was literally shouting at the screen

LOOK IN THE CABINET!

It's such a strange thing that I'd remember the game better than the guy who designed it.

Wait what? Did I miss this Full Throttle playthrough? I remember he started a Day of the Tentacle playthrough and it was never finished.

I finally got past all of the stuff I was stuck on last night.

I resumed my play in the junkyard and probably spent a good 20 minutes messing around with that stupid junkyard magnet trying to move cars around. I eventually decided to take a break from my magnet duties and wandered around the junkyard some more to see if there was anything I had missed. As I re-examined each junk pile I came across one that I must have skipped before that had the forks I needed. So I picked them up and brought them to Mo and it was all very anti-climactic. I'm guessing I will either need to use the junkyard magnet stuff for some future puzzle or maybe the dog needed to be suspended in the car (which I happened to do before re-examining all the piles) for me to be able to pick up the forks or something.

All I had to do now was obtain the gas for my bike but unfortunately I had not found anything else that could help me retrieve it without setting off the alarm on the gas tower. Throughout multiple attempts I eventually came to the conclusion that there was no fucking way I would make it up that ladder. So I continued setting off the alarm over and over and eventually realized that if I set it off and just stood there, the game gave me much more time before the helicopter showed up than if I tried to climb the ladder or leave the area. I took this as a pretty obvious hint that there must be some spot in that area where I was supposed to go since the game actually gave me enough time to move around the area before raining bullets on me. So I tried a few more times and walked to various areas that seemed a little more "shadowy" but continued to have the same results. Finally, as I was combing through the area I found that there was some sort of a cabinet thing at the left of the screen that I could walk behind. As soon as I found that I hit the alarm one more time, went and hid behind the cabinet, and was able to trick the helicopter guys to land and start looking for me on foot. Once they ascended the ladder to look for me, I walked over to their helicopter and saw that I could interact with the gas tank. So I put the hose in the tank and the gas canister on the ground and then stood there stumped for a couple more minutes trying to figure out how to get the gas in the can. Luckily, I remembered before long that every time I tried to "talk to" an inanimate object, Ben said something like "I'm not putting my mouth on that". So with that in mind, I tried using my mouth on the hose and was able to get the gas I needed. This should have been obvious considering I've had to perform this very action in real life but up until I remembered that little detail it was so ingrained in my head that the mouth icon only meant "talk to".

With the final item in hand, I was finally able to have Mo repair my bike and I was on my way... until I saw half a dozen helicopters waiting for me down the road and had to turn back. I figured the most obvious way to get past them would be to set off the alarm again to lure them back over to the gas tower and then take off down the highway before they had a chance to return to their spot. Luckily, I figured correctly and was once again on my way.

Once I finally caught up with the Polecats, I was treated to a sequence where I got to see Corley get his head bashed in by Ripburger while the reporter from earlier photographed the whole thing before being caught and having her camera taken by one of the henchmen. They then took off and Ben found Corley bleeding out. In his dying breath, Corley revealed that Maureen was his daughter and that Ben would need to find her. That led me back to the junkyard where I was treated to another scene where Mo fucked up the henchman and found the camera he had confiscated. I came in shortly after that to find a pile of rubble with a smashed camera and the picture that had been hanging on the wall in Mo's garage. The camera appeared to have had it's film taken out (which I assume was Mo's doing) and upon inspecting the picture, Ben remembered Mo telling him about her uncle's ranch and how it was a place of safety or something like that. Then I stopped playing for the evening. I assume the next step will be to hit the road again and find this ranch so I can hopefully locate Mo.

Progress has continued to come pretty smoothly since getting through those initial puzzles. Upon resuming, I saw once again that the road forward was blocked and this time there was no way I could lure the authorities using the gas tower alarm. So with no way forward I decided to head back in the other direction which brought me back to the bar from the beginning. There was a trucker there who seemed to know the location of the Mink ranch I was looking for but he refused to give me a ride because he was scared of the cops and didn't like me. So I poked around a little bit more before finding the reporter, Miranda, hiding in the same dumpster I was thrown in earlier. I talked to her and managed to get a fake ID of some kind which I was then able to give to the trucker in exchange for a ride through the blockade.

After making it through the blockade, the trucker dropped me off at the Mink ranch and took off before I had a chance to notice that he had taken the fuel hose off of my bike to repair his leaky line. With nowhere else to go, I went inside a nearby open door to find what appeared to be Mo's bedroom. After a little bit of searching I was able to find a crowbar under her pillow and was able to use the crowbar to open a locked chest at the foot of her bed. There was a fuel hose inside the chest and as soon as I picked it up I saw the locked garage door open and saw Mo take off down the highway. So I quickly put the fuel hose on my bike and chased after her. Unfortunately she had removed my boosters and I was unable to keep up with her when she activated her boosters and rocketed away.

As I continued pursuing Mo I found myself entering rival gang territory and got to see a sequence where the rival gang exploded the asshole trucker that fucked me over which also destroyed the bridge I needed to cross. When I resumed control after this sequence, I was in a little area on the highway where the truck trailer was left on the side of the road. I started messing around a little with the trailer and found that I could pick up some of the fertilizer that was inside. After some more investigating I found that I could also use the crowbar I had on the trailer tires. Once I loosened the nuts on all the tires, I was able to use my biker strength to knock the trailer over, spilling fertilizer all over the road. At this point there was nothing else I could do in this area so I continued on.

Continuing down the road, I ended up turning onto Mine Road and ran into Father Torque who provided some useful information about the gangs. After we bullshitted for a little while, I continued on and eventually made my way to the destroyed bridge. There was a big information sign nearby that showed a series of attempts that various people had made to jump the gorge. After reading about the dude who jumped the gorge with his modified bike (I'm pretty sure he used a hover device + booster + ramp to cross the gorge), it became clear that I would need to make similar modifications so I could attempt the same feat. Before leaving the area, I poked around some more and when I attempted to use the fertilizer I had on the bridge, Ben made a comment about needing to use that on Mine Road. So with that hint in mind, I hit the road again and turned back onto Mine Road.

As I was driving down Mine Road, I eventually came across a biker with a chainsaw that I was unable to punch and knock over. Luckily, thanks to the hint Ben gave just beforehand, I found that I could equip the fertilizer and use it as a weapon. Once I did so I was able to knock the chainsaw biker down and take her chainsaw. From here I just drove around some more and eventually made my way back to the Mink ranch where I was able to trick the two waiting henchmen into chasing me and got them to drive through the fertilizer mess which caused them to crash. After Ripburger caught up with them and picked them up, I found that I was able to explore the small area of highway around their crashed car. Before long, I discovered that I could use the crowbar on the fender to open a hatch and take the car's hover device. Then I put the hover device on my bike and stopped playing for the evening.

So it looks like I now have the first of the three items I need to jump the gorge. I've been thinking about what I need to do next and my guess is that I'll need to go back to the junkyard and use the chainsaw on one of the cars to fashion some sort of ramp. As far as the booster goes I'm not so sure. I did notice that the rival gang I ran into had boosters on their bikes so perhaps I will need to make one of them crash like I did with the chainsaw lady and take the booster off of the crashed bike. If that doesn't work then I'll have to toil some more and comb back through the areas to see if I missed anything.

Did you play the knife mini game with the trucker while you were still in the bar?  It serves no purpose whatsoever other than being a diversion.  Also the trucker and Ripburger are both voiced by Mark Hamill.

Did you play the knife mini game with the trucker while you were still in the bar?  It serves no purpose whatsoever other than being a diversion.  Also the trucker and Ripburger are both voiced by Mark Hamill.

I didn't know there was a knife mini-game. I talked to him several times and asked him to let me show him how to do it but he basically told me to fuck off each time. And I saw Mark Hamill's name in the opening credits but didn't know which characters he voiced. Honestly the voice acting in this game seems rock solid all the way around so this is one case where Mark Hamill's excellent voice acting doesn't stand out as much as it usually does.

You have to ask him a bunch of times.  Also it's kinda gross if you mess it up enough.

My friend and I had a weird relationship with Full Throttle in high school. I have two strong memories, the first of "playing" the knife minigame by stabbing Ben's hand over and over until the game maxes out the stab wound decals, and the other of then beating the game in two hours. I think it was the first adventure game I ever took the time to play, and I did a speed-run of it.

I just love the situation of bothering him so much to try it that you just purposefully stab yourself a billion times because you ARE SO BAD ASS.

I played some more last night and didn't make much more progress. I found that I was unable to go back to the junkyard so I pretty much spent all my time on Mine Road knocking assholes off their bikes. I picked up a 2x4, a chain, a spiked ball on a chain, and some high tech goggles and that's about it so far. I tried putting the goggles on and expected them to show me some hidden area but as far as I could tell every exit I took brought me back to the main highway just like they do when I'm not wearing the goggles. Also, there is one last guy that I haven't been able to knock down because he blasts off before I can get him. I haven't tried every item yet but I can say that the chainsaw definitely isn't working.

So right now my options are very limited. I'm fairly certain that I will somehow need to get my last two items from Mine Road. I'm hoping that one of my current items can be used to knock the last dude off his bike so I can get his booster. Then I think I vaguely remember something being mentioned earlier about needing to wear those goggles to get to the rival gang's base or something like that but so far I haven't found it. So I'll probably need to go through that a few more times and just make sure I'm hitting every exit I come across. Also, I'm thinking there might be some way for me to get into the locked garage at the Mink ranch but if it is possible I don't have what I need yet.

Geez, I had such a bitch of a time getting those goggles. Did you just luck out and hit the cave fish with the 2x4 at the exact right time or did you know to hit him while he was going over bumps in the road?

I think you're on the right track with everything, there's nothing out of the way you missed. Just try combing over everything again.

Geez, I had such a bitch of a time getting those goggles. Did you just luck out and hit the cave fish with the 2x4 at the exact right time or did you know to hit him while he was going over bumps in the road?

I think you're on the right track with everything, there's nothing out of the way you missed. Just try combing over everything again.

I must have lucked out because I never noticed any bumps in the road. I just saw that whenever I knocked him off with my chainsaw he would hit a button to blow up his bike so I gave it another shot with the 2x4 and got the goggles right away.

You have to wait until he's looking up so you can get him square in the face, I think.

Woah. I never knew that was what I was meant to be doing!

Woah. I never knew that was what I was meant to be doing!

It's not, you need to wait until he's looking up so you can get him square in the face.

It's not, you need to wait until he's looking up so you can get him square in the face.

Or that even. I always just randomly wacked him.

So I finally got the last two items that I needed. As I suspected, I had previously missed a secret entrance to the cave fish's hideout while using the goggles. This time around I spotted it fairly quickly and was able to get the ramp a little ways into the cave. After taking off with the ramp, however, a bunch of cave fish tried to chase after me and it took me a few attempts to discover that I needed to pick up the ramp in the final area in order to use it to chip off the bumps in the road that the cave fish used to navigate. That caused them to crash and enabled me to escape with the ramp. Then after a few more rounds of biker fighting, I discovered that I could yank the dude with the booster off of his bike as he took off. Once I did this I was able to appropriate his booster and finally used all of my items to jump the gorge in epic fashion.

After driving a little further, I came to the Corley motors factory. I explored a little bit and found a dude running a souvenir shop. I tried out the RC car and ended up using up all the batteries so I assume I'll need to somehow find a way to recharge or replace them for some unforeseen reason. I also discovered that I could steal the little rabbit toy (I think that's what it was but my memory is already hazy) after pointing at some other items to distract the shopkeeper. And that's about as far as I got last night. I went through each area after obtaining the rabbit and so far I haven't figured out what I need to do next. I don't really have any ideas or plans for what I should do next but I also haven't spent more than 10 minutes in this area so I'll need to just thoroughly explore each area and hopefully the path will reveal itself.

Oh god those rabbits. Be sure to get a ton of rabbits and use them on many things in the game. You don't want to miss the fun like the knife fight.

I got a little bit further last night. After exploring some more I discovered the Vulture's hideout on the other side of a big ass minefield. I ended up using my rabbit on the minefield and it got blown up, leaving only it's battery behind. I was then able to use the battery with the RC car back at the souvenir stand and found that I could drive the RC car under the rotating door thing in the next area to distract the shopkeeper. Once he was distracted I was able to steal an entire box of rabbits which I immediately brought out to the minefield, hoping that they would clear a path through the minefield for me. Unfortunately, they all went in random directions and didn't make it far enough in for me to get through so I went back to the shop and grabbed another box of rabbits to try again. As I was attempting this again I happened to try picking up one of the rabbits and after I saw that I could do so, I continued picking them up until I had them all and then went and grabbed another box. Before long I reached the maximum allowable amount of bunnies in my inventory and started letting them loose one by one into the minefield. As the first one exploded I walked to the end of the trail it blazed and set off the next one. Then I just kept repeating the same sequence, walking to the end of the trail each time and letting another rabbit loose, until I made my way to the Vulture's hideout.

It turns out that Mo wasn't very happy to see me and the Vultures promptly tied me to some bikes so they could slowly rip my limbs off. After going through a few dialog options, however, I was able to convince Mo that I didn't kill her father and informed her of the pictures that had been taken of the murder. She then developed the pictures to see the proof and a plan was devised to fake our own deaths and sneak into the shareholder's meeting to expose Ripburger. This put me behind the wheel of a car in a demolition derby and, after a little bit of figuring out what I was supposed to do, I was able to get past the henchmen's car by taking a ramp and landing on their roof. Then I collided with Mo's car and burst into flames as planned. Now that I was on fire, I ran around the stadium like a madman and was able to draw the henchmen into a chunk of fire which exploded them. Then everyone fled the stadium as the fire started to spread and I was able to escape and meet up with Mo again.

It was around this point that I got stuck again. She told me about the secret entrance to the factory and mentioned how she was looking for a key hidden somewhere in the bike she had taken apart. So after talking to her I inspected the bike parts and found three different things that I could open, each revealing a different code. I also went back through all the Corley factory areas and spent a shitload of time kicking that stupid wall in the area with the meters but never got any further. I thought I remembered her saying something about needing to kick the wall in the right spot when the meters were all showing black or something like that but I went up and down the wall kicking each spot multiple times with the meter running and while it was stopped and never got anywhere. I'm pretty sure I'll need one of the codes I found to open something in the factory once I get in so right now it seems like the only way forward is through that fucking wall. So there will be a lot of wall kicking in my future and I suppose I'll go back through each area another couple times as I get more desperate.

You have solved the wall puzzle as much as you're supposed to -

you're supposed to follow Mo's directions as to where to kick the wall when the meters line up, bearing in mind that she's remembering it as a kid. HOWEVER, those directions do not help at all and you simply have to keep kicking when the meters line up until you find it. iirc it's a small circular area that lines up well with Ben's kicking animation.