Zeusthecat

The Big LucasArts Playthrough

Turns out Toblix has done this already, just saw his tweet to Dan. He was having trouble figuring out that to open a door you need to "USE DOOR".

Yeah, I made a little burst of progress. Now I've been referred to Frog Rock, which is between two locations I've never heard of. I guess I'll have to find those locations somehow.

Oh, I can give a hint!

Maybe you need to find a higher place where they would be easier to see?

Yeah my current goal is that ball. Unfortunately something's fastened a bit too well, and I'll need a wrench or something to get it loose.

No hints unless specifically asked for! It's too much of a temptation!

On the topic of hints; in the special edition of MI(2), I need only stretch my hand and touch the "H" button and a hint will pop up. It is so close, and all would be lost. I'm totally managing that though. I've not been tempted once. I guess my resolve is rather handsomely strong in this matter.

The worst is when the hints are potentially funny, it can feel like I'm missing out either way. :|

I had this whole dumb story written up, but I guess it can be summarized as "playing a lot of adventure games makes you reason in dumb ways and you get stuck trying to rasp a bucket of golf balls to get through a door instead of just trying to open it like a normal person."

So things in the binoculars are too tiny. Do I need to mount a lens on it, like in an adventure game?

Yes, if you don't have one in your inventory either you left it behind or you haven't discovered all the areas yet.

Ah, time to walk around in old locations and click on things. My favorite genre!

On the topic of hints; in the special edition of MI(2), I need only stretch my hand and touch the "H" button and a hint will pop up. It is so close, and all would be lost. I'm totally managing that though. I've not been tempted once. I guess my resolve is rather handsomely strong in this matter.

On my last time through the Special Edition of MI1, I got stuck and used it. It was no help at all. It told me to go do something I had already done.

I may be ready for my hint now. Problem is, it's pretty hard explaining where I am. Okay, I'd like some super vague directional hints on the following topics:

<<Rapp's oven door>>

<<How to get across the river on Phatt island>>

Why on earth are you playing this?

Me? I love adventure games, especially the LucasArts ones. I was looking for a new one to play, and I found out it had been way too long since I had played Sam & Max, so I thought I'd do a quick refresher.

I may be ready for my hint now. Problem is, it's pretty hard explaining where I am. Okay, I'd like some super vague directional hints on the following topics:

<<Rapp's oven door>>

<<How to get across the river on Phatt island>>

(Spoilers for others, these are safe for you if you want vague hints, Rodi.)

1) Have you already

got into Rapp's weenie hut

? If so, I don't think you need to

open his oven door.

2) If you mean what I think you mean, you're on the infamous awful puzzle of Monkey Island 2 that Ron Gilbert still gets teased about to this day. Have you heard of it? If not, think less about how to cross the river and more about

how to stop there being a river

Haha, wow, those are amazingly vague and that's pretty much what I asked for. I'll try some stuff again. Even though I went through MI2 years and years ago, I've forgotten all of the puzzels, so nope, I know nothing of an infamously awful puzzle. Let's see if I can breach it regardless.

You wants super-vague, you gets super-vague! Let me know if you want to downgrade to mega-vague.

Man, this thread just made me realize I need to replay MI 2, I've played MI 1 to death, but I barely remember 2 at all! I'll correct this ASAP!

You put me on the right track, Ben, and now I'm in possession of the third map piece. Only one to go, and I still haven't a clue what to do with

the pump, and governor Phatt. Is there a specific book I needt o put on his bed, which he might read and then be influenced by? There is the book he wrote "opulence, a social art", but he doesn't wake up, so I can't do anything with that. I mean to sabotage him in any way I can, but nothing works. I can't even hose him down. Annoying.

Well if it helps I think I made fun of the stupid puzzle you are stuck on earlier in this thread more than a couple of times.

I was mulling over it in the shower and here's my thinking:

nothing in my inventory works on the pump, which is probably what I need to drain the waterfall. Even though Guybrush has a ton of tools, I require something like a wrench. But there's no wrench in this world, maybe at the carpenter. Then my mind made the link to a monkey wrench, since this is Monkey Island after all. So now I'm thinking I need to kidnap the monkey from the Bloody Lip. I've got a banana that he reacts to, but then the bartender gets angry. I gotta get that monkey somehow. I already picked up an entire dog once, so a monkey should be fair game.

Gonna try this right away.

Update: ADVENTURE LOGIC PREVAILS

Congratulations. You've solved the game's most infamous puzzle through exactly the logical path that they wanted you to!

More thinking on MI2:

I've reached the cottage and encountered a man who wanted to do a drinking game with me. The line of puzzles there was very satisfying, finding a way to mix the drinks and get him down. The music in that area is just perfect. Now I'm an an impasse as I try to gain entry to the cellar, where a weird contraption sluices me into a hole every time. I think the solution has something to do with using the spyglass on the monkey statue, burning a hole in the wall. Every time I do that I hear a faint *click*, but when I enter the cellar, it clicks again and off I go.

I get the feeling I need to do something with the parrot in the pawn shop, but damned if I know what. It's the only thing I can think of that I haven't exhausted yet, but getting the parrot seems harder than getting a monkey by putting a banana on the metronome.