Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Dota Today 4: Sand Queen and Mrs. Tinker

Lot of people underestimate the power of caustic finale when an entire wave of creeps has it. keeps the nobs dead.

I love how excited Nick always is when he says "And this! ... Is Dota Today"

I picture him standing up, palms pressed against the desk, desperate for the audience to accept his declaration.

I think every week should have a variable amount of time between "And this!" and the "Is Dota Today", because this week felt longer, and I totally expected him to say "And this!.... Is your life!".

http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-potato-day

http://www.thedailyspud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/potatodaysignforpost.jpg

There seems to be some disagreement about the official date of potato day. I found this podcast hoping for some clarification from potato day experts, but you guys just talked about someone named Justin on TV? I don't think potatoes were even mentioned. Would not recommend, 1 star.

http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-potato-day

http://www.thedailyspud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/potatodaysignforpost.jpg

There seems to be some disagreement about the official date of potato day. I found this podcast hoping for some clarification from potato day experts, but you guys just talked about someone named Justin on TV? I don't think potatoes were even mentioned. Would not recommend, 1 star.

oh no, you're looking for pikmin 2day at idlethumbs.net/pikmintwoday

'Video Games' - The Wizard:

I remember seeing this live and being disappointed that it was a reference to the movie instead of Idle Thumbs.

Finding out the truth made my day.

That reader mail was a thing of genius.

Forcing a player to write letters to the mothers of fallen soldiers in a game sounds like a Molydeux tweet.

The "here is the gold we denied the enemy" post script slayed me. Just the best.

Now I want a Ken Burns style documentary about the Defense of the Ancients, as if it were an actual battle. That letter was the best

The "here is the gold we denied the enemy" post script slayed me. Just the best.

Narrative context all up in!

Perhaps the best e-mail read on a cast ever.

I don't even queue for real dota anymore, I just play solo bot games as invoker and try to get 50 kills before 25 minutes (or the game ends) while listening to podcasts. I feel like this is a safe place to confess this.

It is my peggle.

Wow, craziest thing about watching the Gunrun wizard video is seeing that I had commented on it 2 years ago.

That guild stuff seems neat, definitely an improvement on the chat channel that really is easy to forget about

Are all these great guests just hiding under the woodwork? Would be great to hear them on the main cast too

That letter was phenomenal.

The Dota 2 in-game replay options are out of this world. They blow every other replay system out of the water, I'm so jealous of them. Especially the ability to jump into tournament matches and listen to broadcasters at the same time. Now, the broadcast-style format has a lot of advantages. Directed coverage so you and the broadcasters are seeing the same things, picture-in-picture, having someone behind the scenes load up a replay so you don't have to fiddle around for it. Having a game that literally does not have a break from start to stop is the same sort of challenge as a soccer match, where interesting things that need more discussion don't happen in convenient little chunks with down time, so having someone whose job it is to queue it up precisely where it needs to be is an incredible advantage.

But the fact that Dota builds replay functionality right in means that you can potentially check out ANY game. What if you didn't want the highlight package, someone was just playing your favorite lord and you wanted to check out a build order? Or if they were just really good at CSing and you just wanted to watch farming mechanics from a pro player for 5 minutes because we're nerds like that. So good. So jealous. The LoL pro stuff is all on a tournament realm and you can't pull replays from it. Most of the accounts the players use there don't have a single "real" game played on them if you looked them up through one of the profile crawler sites. It is kind of crazy that during tournaments the base client advertises where to watch the games and it takes you to a website.

You know what I wonder? How many creeps survive the game. There's fairly often a strong creep wave as you push in to end the game, and not every lane necessarily gets shoved all the way in. Some of the creeps for the losing side actually survive the battle.

As per the creep deny email, here's another example of bonkers metanarrative with this catapult going on a suicide mission.

Best part is Tinker attempting to deny it, as if saying "no catapult! dont do it!"

That email. Sweet mother of God. There is absolutely no topping that. 10/10, listened to it twice.