Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Recommend me some good two-player co-ops! (Please!)

Like most I think, I gorged on Diablo III for the fortnight after it came out and then pretty much abandoned it after finishing it (twice).

It'll be interesting to see how Torchlight II holds up under co-op, as both me and the friend I co-op with tried Diablo III together for a short while and didn't really think much of it. My main worry is that there's a lot of reading in Torchlight II, which might be a bit jarring and slow down the flow of things.

I played it with Lu, but I still had a good time!

Dick!  :grin:

I would also recommend Dungeon Defenders.It is a great little Co-Op RPG/Tower Defense hybrid where you both actively storm around setting up towers and shooting/hitting enemies.

MMO's were briefly mentioned earlier, but I'll toss in a recommendation for Guild Wars 2. I'm not a big MMO guy myself so having a pay once, play forever type game is perfect for me. It's got a pretty good story and pretty much every element of the game is able to be played with a party.

I also recommend Trine/Trine 2, played a lot of those with my girlfriend.

I've played hundreds of hours of Dungeon Defenders with my gf. It's incredibly good co-op fun. Even has split screen should your friend ever make it over to your locality!

Splinter Cell Blacklist is always on sale for hella cheap and has great co-op. Borderlands 2 is also endless co-op fun. These have probably been mentioned before.

I will say I did not find Torchlight II very fun at all. It lacks the really slick presentation of Diablo III and doesn't boast enough novel elements to make it feel worth my time. Me and the gf also had trouble connecting: having to create a secondary in-game account to play multiplayer was pretty annoying and on top of that our game crashed all the time.

I will say I did not find Torchlight II very fun at all. It lacks the really slick presentation of Diablo III and doesn't boast enough novel elements to make it feel worth my time. Me and the gf also had trouble connecting: having to create a secondary in-game account to play multiplayer was pretty annoying and on top of that our game crashed all the time.

Bah, that's pretty damning--thanks for your candour.

Appreciate the suggestions for Dungeon Defenders. It's something I've had in my Steam library for ages, through one of the Humbles I think, but I've never actually played it. Looks like that could be the one to go for next!

I've sunk more hours into Dungeon Defenders than I really care to admit.  It is some fun co-op, but I have to warn you about the seedy underbelly.  As is true of many loot based games, there's a giant, ugly market that exists for items and many games will attempt to kick you immediately if you aren't using the correct build or have crazy high stats.  At high level play, the game becomes a serious grind where the "best" strategies involve standing around doing nothing except repairing towers and not dying.  I stopped playing at that point because the most common tactic to win the game was to not actually play the game, but to figure out how to afk the whole thing.  Granted, that was a year ago so the scene might have changed since then.  And up until it became horrible, I was having a lot of fun.

As for Torchlight II, I'll agree the vanilla game isn't terribly great, but there are some awesome mods out there, especially the class mods.  I don't know how it works in Diablo III, but Torchlight II uses steamworks really well to incorporate mods.  All you have to do is subscribe to them from the community page and they'll auto install and update.  It's also really easy to get any mods you're lacking to join a game because there's a button that does it for you in the lobby browser.  I'd suggest trying a few before you give up on Torchlight II entirely.

I'm guessing some of the already mentioned games fit this, but what about co-op games for me and my noob (had a SNES, played Mario and Zelda, not really gamed since then) girlfriend on a single PC with two XBox controllers (and kb/m)? I hear the Lego Movie Tie-In games and Rayman Origins are good for that kind of thing...

I'm guessing some of the already mentioned games fit this, but what about co-op games for me and my noob (had a SNES, played Mario and Zelda, not really gamed since then) girlfriend on a single PC with two XBox controllers (and kb/m)? I hear the Lego Movie Tie-In games and Rayman Origins are good for that kind of thing...

D&D: Chronicles of Mystara, Trine 1/2, Guacamelee, ilomilo (I think this is Windows 8 only), any of those Lego games, Renegade Ops are all pretty good and don't require a high degree of video game experience.  

Cool, thanks. I've got Trine 1 and Guardian Of Light ready to go. Guacamelee might be a good fit too. Dan recommended playing Limbo as a co-op by taking turns!

Monaco is kind of too difficult for me, and I have played so very many games.

I will refer back to Dungeon Defenders which is as great an intro game as it is a coop game. Orcs Must Die 2 also has coop tho I haven't played it. The first was pretty engaging.

Oh yeah, Orcs Must Die 2 worked very well with my wife. We'd already played some WoW together though, so the control scheme was already familiar.

Hmmm, Dungeon Defenders looks a bit fiddly and UI-heavy even for my taste. Orcs Must Die 2 looks a bit simpler and fun, will add that to the list. Thanks!

Kirby Super Star! And maybe Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Not sure haven't played it but it has co-op, not sure if it's as inventive as Super Star).

My girlfriend also won't really play anything hard with me co-op but I got her to go through Four Swords Adventures (but that requires a bunch of equipment) as well as Castle Crashers (which is on Steam).

I think I'll keep it simple and stick to native PC games for the time being.