I don't see the problem. The judge abstained from voting.

I think they deserve a lot of credit for abstaining when they haven't seen all the entries. Seems like something you'd expect, but then again that's not how most video game awards work by comparison. (Which is one reason why video game awards are idiotic and just come down to whatever titles had the most buzz)

It's just like any other voting. A small percentage makes an educated vote. A lot of people make a popular vote or vote for what they usually vote. And a large proportion is too stupid to press the correct button.

I just watched Monster University and it was amazing... and kinda depressing since it's a sequel and what happens next.

I really don't get why Mike is "not scary when every other member from Ooza Kappa was pretty decent. It was fun to see how the villain from first movie started as a friend and slowly became who he will be in the next movie and how Sully and Mike start out hating each other and slowly becoming best friends.

I really loved the cabin moment where Mike helps Sully scare a bunch of adults, in some ways it was more "legit scary" than a few actual horror movies. It was kinda depressing to see them all work hard when in the next movie scare energy is useless, at the same time, Mike was a funny guy, who he still wins in the end?

I gotta say, I'm pretty sure a few of us have never been to an American college/high shcool/university with cheerleaders and brotherhoods, but they are so ubiquitous in pop culture I still got every joke about the schooling system.

Is it me or were they hinting at "it doesn't matter what you study in your university, it will be outdated when you come out!"?

It's strange how I was rooting fro Mike since the beginning since it's a prequel, but I guess this movie was more about him than Sully?

I liked Monsters U a lot when I first saw it, but the longer I let it sit the less I remember enjoying it. Kind of the opposite of Drive, which I hated in the moment but retroactively enjoyed. I agree on the cabin moment, though. That was the highlight of the film for me. The librarian was pretty great too.

Really, Monsters Inc. was kind of middling for Pixar and only really stands out to me for being the gayest of Pixar movies.

I thought Monsters U was pretty terrible, though I can't remember exactly why beyond it being full of cliches (and simply redoing those cliches with monsters, not parodying or subverting them) and pretty pointless. The most/only interesting things were definitely

having [Randall?] start as a friend and Sully as a jerk, and scaring adults

but the film doesn't really do much with those ideas.

Monsters Inc. ... only really stands out to me for being the gayest of Pixar movies.

How so? (I hope I'm not just setting up a closet joke here...)

Monsters Inc is a film about a little wiry guy and a big hairy guy who share an apartment* together in a gentrified neighbourhood. They spend all day every day coming out of closets and have to eventually have to go through a ton of shit in order to get a baby girl into their custody, which everyone else in their world thinks will destroy civilization as they know it.

*with seemingly only a single queen-sized bed, I might add

Woah.

Also, Mike's love-interest just happens to be a head full of phalluses.

I thought Monsters U was pretty terrible, though I can't remember exactly why beyond it being full of cliches (and simply redoing those cliches with monsters, not parodying or subverting them) and pretty pointless. 

I agree. I feel like the Pixar-ness was completely absent from this movie and it came across to me as a lackluster Revenge of the Nerds knockoff.

On another note, I noticed yesterday that the Pokemon cartoons that I used to watch (and tape) regularly in the late 90's are on Netflix, so I decided to throw it on to see if my daughter would have any interest. We both sat there and watched 8 straight episodes. Now I suddenly feel like I kind of have Pokefever again and I have a strong urge to pick up those games again and watch all the cartoons. 

If it were a Revenge of the Nerds knock off, it would have been a lot more rapey, perverted and make you root for the "bad guys". :P

I agree. I feel like the Pixar-ness was completely absent from this movie and it came across to me as a lackluster Revenge of the Nerds knockoff.

I agree with this, so I guess I agree with your agreement.

On another note, I noticed yesterday that the Pokemon cartoons that I used to watch (and tape) regularly in the late 90's are on Netflix, so I decided to throw it on to see if my daughter would have any interest. We both sat there and watched 8 straight episodes. Now I suddenly feel like I kind of have Pokefever again and I have a strong urge to pick up those games again and watch all the cartoons. 

The Pokémon anime has been consistently airing a new episode every single week for the last seventeen years.

You are entering a dark place, my friend.

You are entering a dark place, my friend.

Good thing I have a Charmander around here somewhere...

Charmander can't learn Flash!

...Though Bulbasaur can for some reason.

I scoured through my video game collection and some boxes to try to find my Pokemon Blue and Yellow games and realized that I lent them to a friend 10 years ago and never got them back.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T LEND GAMES TO PEOPLE AND I NEVER TRADE THEM IN AND I KEEP THEM FOREVER BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN A 15 YEAR OLD CARTOON WILL APPEAR ON NETFLIX AND RECAPTURE YOUR IMAGINATION AND MAKE YOU WANT TO RELIVE ALL OF THOSE AWESOME MOMENTS!!!

I guess I could just play Pokemon Gold but for me it never quite lived up to the magic of those original 150. Plus, I wanted to start with a Squirtle.

Plus, I wanted to start with a Squirtle.

You can still do this with Pokemans X/Y. I also totally agree, nothing beats Red/Blue.

So for those who missed it today, some big anouncements:

Pixar confirms they're working on Cars 3 (ugh) and The Incredibles 2 (woooo). I really hope they get Brad Bird on board. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

Also revealed today:

I'm a little wary (I've never been much of a Blue Sky fan), but they absolutely nailed the look of the comics and they're going so far as to use archival recordings of the late Bill Melendez rather than trying to find someone to fill the unfillable roles of Snoopy and Woodstock.

I used to be okay with Cars because I saw it as the movie that made Pixar money so that they could make their good movies. Then Cars 2 came out and after that they didn't really go back to making movies as strong as the string of films that preceeded it. I also don't have high expectations for Inside Out or the dinosaur movie, though I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised. I rewatched the Incredibles about a year ago and the first thing I did after finishing it was go online and see if they had announced a sequel yet since it seemed like that's what they had been doing and out of all the movies it's the one that most deserves one. They hadn't and I was sad. Now I'm not.

They're 3Ding Incredibles and Ratatouille, too.

I'm expecting the Incredibles sequel to be poor.

I used to be okay with Cars because I saw it as the movie that made Pixar money so that they could make their good movies. Then Cars 2 came out and after that they didn't really go back to making movies as strong as the string of films that preceeded it.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Also, best:

P5QNyrI.jpg

I think, if Disney Animation and Dreamworks keep going on their upward trends, I'm okay with Pixar's golden age being over. It had to happen eventually.

YAYYYYYYYYYY, season 2 of Adventure Time is finally on Netflix!

YAYYYYYYYYYY, season 2 of Adventure Time is finally on Netflix!

Sweeeeeeet.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Also, best:

P5QNyrI.jpg

Well, that will forever be what Cars 3 is in my head, no need to ever watch it now.

Rick and Morty is the best. The best

Or at least when it's really on it's the best. It handles Multiverse stuff like a friggen champ, making it interesting and funny at the same time, rather than just a kind of lame oddness like Bioshock Infinite. I'd say it's at its most awesome when the show is being creepy and nihilistic, so be warned.