Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Ground Zeroes is currently half off on Steam, should I buy it? I watched my last roommate play about half an hour of it on PS3 (he rented it via Redbox).

$10 is a good amount for GZ. It genuinely plays great, even with mouse and keyboard.

GZ's is absolutely fantastic, well worth that price point too. Also, you really should be playing it now before MGSV comes out. What if it's harolded as some kind of must play masterpiece, you need to get the first part of the story under your belt

Is that Kojima in Ground Zeroes? Man, I love that he exists as a 'character' in the Big Boss games. I'm hoping that he becomes more than my chef in Peace Walker though.

One of the side missions tasks you with rescuing an unnamed operative. After you get him back on the chopper, Snake unmasks him, the camera zooms in and he looks right at you and says, "kept you waiting, huh?"

I would enjoy the revelation that somehow things got mixed up and actually Liquid Snake was comprised of partial Kojima genes.

I wish Liquid Snake would come back. Every other shitty character comes back from the dead, but not the most flamboyant and hilarious of them all?

MGS4 pretty much went there but stopped short of the all-important return of the voice actor, instead giving us Tired Ocelot to complement Tired Snake.

Incidentally, I'm actually more annoyed we're not getting the classic Ocelot voice in MGS5 than any of this Kiefer business.

What, you don't like Troy Baker?

But seriously, he's 20 years younger in MGS5 so it kind of makes sense. And he was voiced by someone else in Snake Eater.

It doesn't really make sense... I mean, he's getting on a bit age-wise in both MGS5 (60s) and MGS1 (40s) so I wouldn't expect there to be so much difference; it was just about excusable with MGS3 because he was practically a teenager. Also just everything about Ocelot was absolutely spot on in MGS1 and MGS2 — an iconic character.

I know that the same thing has happened with Snake, but that may still play out well if Hayter voices a Solid Snake appearance in MGS5. And regardless, while it happening with one iconic character is bad enough, two losing their original voice actors is just shit.

I'm sure opinions vary, but I remain of the feeling that changing the voices of beloved MGS characters is quite sad. I'll be able to live with it, but I'd really rather it didn't happen if it's avoidable. I don't doubt any of the new actors' abilities to do a great job, but it's like switching out the actor for Saul in Homeland, or perhaps more pertinently swapping out the actor for Jack Bauer in 24.

MGS4 ruined Ocelot for me with his nonsense. I much prefer the wacky young one in 3.

Why not both? :D

3NP7aFs.jpg

They screwed him all up by making him some kind of mediocre incarnation of Liquid. The voice actor just can't capture that awesome flamboyancy. It just came off as awkward and forced, then you lost pretty much all good things about Ocelot's character by doing that anyway.

Also, god damn that explanation for Ocelot becoming Liquid at the end of MGS4 was so fucking stupid. He mimicked him for some obscure and pointless reason and somehow became Liquid by force of habit, but then really knew he wasn't Liquid the whole time?

Ground Zeroes is on PSN PS4 for less than £6 for Easter. Seems like now is the time to grab it.

I really hope that in MGS5 we finally find out where Liquid Snake's personality came from, during a mid-game musical number where Big Boss shows that he's as fine at dance as he is at CQC, with his singing voice provided by Cam Clarke.

MGS5: Ground Zeroes plays so well, I'm actually excited for an MGS game for the first time in a decade.

Watching Metal Gear Scanlon is bringing back some memories.

Bloody hell fire.

PS: This game is wonderful. The game world feels so organic and more unpredictable than before. The gameplay, audio design, and world come together incredibly well — and there's so much to do. If they successfully scale this up to a much bigger game then holy shit.

Also it's like £6 on PSN for a few days.