Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Antichamber

I am loving this game. Narrative is usually just icing in the cake for me, so the lack thereof isn't a huge turn off for me. I do find myself constantly delighted when something new appears.

I played this game for about an hour and a half today. I've made a fair bit of progress, but I'm pretty stuck right now. I'll go back to it later. I'm enjoying it, but it's kind of tough to figure out what to do in a lot of situations.

Yeah, I never finished this game. I hit a point where there were so many different possibilities I could think of that I might need to do without being sure of what exactly it was, and each failure being a time consuming process to get back to where I was that I just ended up giving up. Thoroughly enjoyed my time up to that point though, so I still have no problems recommending the game.

A while ago I beat this and thoroughly enjoyed it, there's probably a few things I haven't found, but I'm pretty satisfied leaving it. I felt it lasted about the right amount of time for me.

Fez was one of those games that I had to 105.3c% complete or whatever getting all the secrets got you, since each secret felt a lot more special and hand crafted. The secrets here were cool too, but didn't really instigate a strong enough drive in me to actively seek out, but they were definitely cool when you accidentally stumbled upon them; in Fez accidentally stumbling on stuff felt more like, 'oh, I'll have to come back here later', rather than, 'oh shit, look at this cool stuff'.

I got to the same place. One issue I had is that there are several places (secrets, I guess), where you can manipulate something, but can't actually progress. Especially after you've stepped away for a while and forgotten exactly what you've done and haven't done, it makes it quite difficult.

Also, for one of the more un-intuitive puzzles, I "solved" it, but didn't solve it enough, because I got bored and assumed there was nothing I could do with it*. I eventually looked at a FAQ for that bit of it, did what I'd attempted (only more so), and played through to the end.

The ending isn't essential, but there are one or two really good puzzle rooms towards the end, and they're entirely self-contained, which solves the backtracking problem. Depending on where you are, it might be worthwhile to spoil yourself to get to the end.

*the bit I got stuck on...

Is when you fall into the pit in the center of the "tower" (it might say WTF? in yellow blocks), and have to build a staircase all the way up past where you started and up into the ceiling. It takes a long time to climb up, and if you aren't careful and fall down (or "pop" one of the wrong blocks, which propagates to the platform you're standing on), you can have to start over. I got halfway up the thing, figured "this is too tedious to be the right solution", and gave up. I was wrong! it was tedious on purpose!

Alright, I'm stuck. There are a bunch of places where it looks like I can unlock doors, but I just don't seem to have the right tools. I've got blue block gun and I've seen the yellow one but I have no idea how to get to it. Any hints?

CLWheeljack - haha yes, that is exactly the part I was referring to!

I disliked this game a lot. I have a feeling I would have liked it if it wasn't eye-burningly bright. I couldn't tolerate staring at it for more than like ten minutes at a time, and so I pretty quickly gave up after I finally got stuck. It's like the opposite of the things I always complain about in dark games, where I'm constantly having to strain my eyes to see shit because it's so dark and most of the time it doesn't need to be, even for thematic reasons. I'm not sure which I hate more, to be honest.

Yeah, I actually got a headache from playing this game. I never get motion sick, so I think something about the visuals and audio plays hell with my brain. Other than that I was liking the game a lot, but I don't want to play it at all any more.

I've gotten into the habit of turning the brightness down on my monitor, particularly at night. That might help with Antichamber, people sometimes forget you can do that.