Snooglebum

Why can't I enjoy System Shock 2?

Anyone still playing this?

I'm never not playing it though my days of playing through it in a couple of days are long gone.

System Shock 2 has been released on Steam, which mean there is a thread from GOG users whining because they bought there because they were told it was an exclusive? *shrugs*

It was a timed exclusive, there wasn't any subterfuge about it, it's been known since it came out on GoG that it would also be coming to Steam.

Will there ever be a point in this game where I'm not afraid to use my guns? Between the way every gun in this game just falls apart and the limited ammo, I've been a wrench maniac for about 2.5 hours now. Also, how the hell does that hacking/repair minigame work? I always just press random squares and explode everything.

A state of constant panic is pretty much the correct thing you're supposed to be feeling. Don't remember the minigame though, there should definitely be a proper way to play it.

The hacking mini-game is just a match-three thing, extremely basic rules, there's no real tactic to it. The only consideration is that yellow squares can either be safe or break the whole thing as a roll based on your stats, while your stats also determine their frequency on the board. If you see a lot of yellow squares on a grid, it's often safer to just back out and eat the cost of starting the hack/repair over, seeing if you get a better field to work with. The trade-off ends up being whether or not you're willing to keep spending nanites until you get a board that gives you room to match three, or if you'll take the chance on a yellow square to just try and force it.

As for the guns, it pays off big to put some points into maintenance, it's one of the most important skills in the game. (As noted in some of my previous posts which i encourage looking over. Hacking and maintenance should be the cornerstones of a first playthrough.)

Constant panic and never having enough of what you need are pretty much the point of the game though.

I'm not even that panicked, because the med tables are super cheap to use. It comes down to being cheaper to use a wrench and then go back and heal myself with one of those instead of using my guns and risking breaking them. It's more annoying than scary.

With the enemy respawn, a lengthy trek back and forth across the levels to try and minmax your resources like that might end up being fruitless.

Perhaps more viable on the lower difficulties, i guess.

I mean, and if you get maintenance to a reasonable point, you're just using tools you find to fix things up, you aren't spending any nanites on buying more. (The actual maintenance process doesn't cost nanites, don't confuse it with repair, which does.)

You're probably still quite early in the game, i imagine.