Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Steam Linux

Yay!

PS. I installed it and after logging in some license agreement or something popped up, but I somehow automatically clicked Disagree. I have no idea what it was. Could someone who will also be installing it take a screenshot of what I disagreed to. Please, it's driving me nuts.

I tried this, installed Defcon and Superbrothers, neither of which did anything when I tried to play them (Defcon didn't even download anything). Then I updated my graphics drivers, which broke my desktop somehow, and then I removed my Linux partitions.

Yeah, doesn't work for me either. Tried Superbrothers and SpaceChem. SpaceChem asked for permissions to do something but visually appears it still didn't do it.

PS. I installed it and after logging in some license agreement or something popped up, but I somehow automatically clicked Disagree. I have no idea what it was. Could someone who will also be installing it take a screenshot of what I disagreed to. Please, it's driving me nuts.

Nevermind, I found where it stored the data (~/.local/share/Steam), cleaned up and reinstalled it. It was the standard Steam subscriber agreement stuff, but I wonder why it let me continue before when I clicked disagree.

It's coming along. Half of the games I own that are listed in the catalog as being available for Linux still don't download anything when you try to install them. I guess they're still working on that. I've mostly been playing Dungeons of Dredmor, but the Linux build is a beta, so it's a little buggy. I also picked up Unity of Command based on the recommendation from Three Moves Ahead and have been very impressed with that.

Yeah, doesn't work for me either. Tried Superbrothers and SpaceChem. SpaceChem asked for permissions to do something but visually appears it still didn't do it.

sudo steam?

sudo steam?

No it actually correctly asked for superuser rights when it needed. The issue I have seems to be with LD_LIBRARY_PATH which I can't be arsed to deal with, really.

Wow, Linux sounds even more fun than Windows!

Man, if there's one thing the world was short on, it was snarky comments that start bullshit platform flamewars.

Seriously, Linux isn't for everyone. But it scratches big geeky itches for me and a lot of other people too. You do have to put up with hacking things together a lot more, but I appreciate the flexibility I get from it.

I doubt we're going to get a platform flamewar going here.

That said, AMIGA 500 IS FAR SUPERIOR TO ATARI ST.

AMIGA 500 IS FAR SUPERIOR TO ATARI ST.

That's not even an argument. Just pure, unadulterated truth.

Pff, Amiga. Get a girlfriend, nerds.

Lol if u knew anything u'd know that Amiga MEANS girlfriend so weve got one already lol FAIL.

Yea, it sounded like one of those precursor douchey comments you get from people who really don't have any interest in using $PLATFORM and just wade in to stir the pot. If that wasn't the intent, then I'm sorry.

It's OK, it's on me. Judging from everyone's reactions, I think it's clear I jumped the gun. I dish my fair share of flippant "I wasn't really that serious about it" posts as well, so I should know better. :-P

Yea, it sounded like one of those precursor douchey comments you get from people who really don't have any interest in using $PLATFORM and just wade in to stir the pot. If that wasn't the intent, then I'm sorry.

It's cool. I wasn't really dissing *any* platform. (If you like an OS, use it, is my philosophy.)

My comment was meant in bon homie -- as in, "Computers can be frustrating sometimes, eh?... But still we tinker with them, even when they drive us nuts".

I'm intrigued to know which OS you think I was trying to give props to.

Personally I'm sure that Linux is pretty awesome if you know it. I actually think Windows has drastically improved in recent years. And OSX is very well made, and designed, but I prefer Windows (probably because I'm used to it). I would never argue that any one OS was clearly better than another, every one has its pros and cons, if you ask me.

Ben isn't far wrong, though. I used to LOVE the Amiga OS. After learning that, the way Windows does things seems so counter-intuitive compared to that.

I'm intrigued to know which OS you think I was trying to give props to.

OS X. I have a buddy that works for Apple in Education Sales and that is _exactly_ the kind of snarky comment he would make. Shouldn't project so much.

Anyway, how about those Linux games on Steam, eh?

What's the deal with it? They've got a version of Steam for Linux now, but, unless there's a Linux-compatible version of a game, that doesn't really help much?

I tried getting BTDT installed on a mate's Linux via Steam, using Crossover or something along those lines, and it was a pain in the tits.

OS X. I have a buddy that works for Apple in Education Sales and that is _exactly_ the kind of snarky comment he would make. Shouldn't project so much.

Ha! I hate those who think Apple is perfect, and everyone who uses something different is wrong, too. I've never owned a Mac, although I've used them in work for nearly a decade.

Ben, it finds the games you already have that have Linux versions. I had 25. It opens the door for developers to take Linux seriously. I don't know, using Linux is still a crapshoot. My netbook runs Ubuntu now, which is far superior to using Windows on it. But because of some driver stuff, Linux would just break on my desktop if I tried to install hardware accelerated video drivers. Either it works fine or it just doesn't.

Did anyone in the United States EVER own an Amiga growing up? It feels like took me forever to even understand what one was growing up, as I had assumed it was a game console for a long time.