Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Calling all French readers!

Can anyone translate the following message for me? I can barely make out the hand-writing, so it's difficult to even feed it into Google Translate.

The letter has an interesting history, and I'd love to know what it says.

Thanks!

iPhone286.jpg

A proof of address by the landlady on behalf of the tenant, perhaps?

---

I the undersigned, Mme Barbarie Georgette, owner of 17 avenue du Belloy, Le Vésinet (5 and 6) certify that Mr Dean Joe, born 20 November 1926 in Robinson City, USA, lives in this property since April 20th 1947.

Le Vésinet, May 8th, 1947

Barbarie

---

I'm thinking the chap's name is presented surname, forename - typical French formulation even now to an extent.

(edited to correct the village name - it's pretty swanky, ergo the 50f note was probably just a hankerchief or a bookmark or something)

Edited by Justin Leego

Huh, interesting! Thanks for that. Along with the letter, a 50 Franc note from 1946 was included with it. It was found, hidden in a panel, in a wooden chest on a scrap heap.

It'd be cool to find more on these people, but Google isn't coming with anything. Not even the address :(

You should make a website or something to try and find the answer. It might be the next big internet sensation and get made into a Jim Carrey film!

You should make a website or something to try and find the answer. It might be the next big internet sensation and get made into a Jim Carrey film!

I can see it now, "L'Note de Francais" starring Jim Carrey. Directed by Wes Anderson.

Yes, I admit that the contents of the letter are woefully underwhelming, however it was my female American friend who found this thing as a child in Massachusetts. I'm sure she'd be interested to learn more... if I could find something interesting about it to share with her. Hmmm.

I believe someone has gone to great lengths in order to make the letter appear so mundane. Study it more closely, however, and you will find a carefully crafted labyrinth of clues. For instance, 3 of the 9 numbers mentioned in the letter begin with 19 which is, of course, a prime number. Subtract 2, the first of the prime numbers and a number repeated over and over again in the letter, and you get 17, also mentioned in the letter. Now, 17 is also a prime number — the twin prime of 19!

Ooh, wait! Did you check the back? Maybe there's a PS telling you to take back one kadam for the Hebrew god whose ark this is!

Ooh, wait! Did you check the back? Maybe there's a PS telling you to take back one kadam for the Hebrew god whose ark this is!

Man, I just watched that movie yesterday. Spooky!