Yeah, I_smell, don't worry about it. Just because you're getting better at your craft doesn't mean NTTE is worthless and you shouldn't give people the chance to get it on Steam. If you feel that bad about it, just think of as a way of helping your brand awareness and put it at a crazy-low pricepoint (but be aware that though this will cause some people to react more favourably to your game, some will assume it's crap without playing it because of the low price and ignore it, and some will buy it and enjoy it exactly the same as if they'd paid a dollar more and will tell you you should have priced it higher).

Well, the latest batch is out and... frankly, I don't care anymore. I'm a fan of Wadjet Eye games, but how on Earth did it manage to get Greenlit so quick? And were is La-Mulana? You know what? I think they are just making up the numbers as they go to give them time to review the games. Heck, I even believe they are forcing good developers to go through Steamlight just to have less "crappy" games there.

There are just too many cases of "Why on Earth does this game have to go through Greenlight" and too many of "how on Earth did this get any votes?" for me to care about how the voting works anymore.

I_Smell, you were #4 the last time I heard, did you make it?

I play PS2 with the lead dev of Kinetic Void, and as far as he is able to glean it's on the up and up, so you might just be paranoid.

Also La Mulana is available on like twelve other distribution platforms so what are people so up in arms about that for?

Wadjet Eye's latest game got Greenlit so fast because, in their words, "since we moved up the charts so far so fast, Steam has judged that Primordia can bypass the rest of the process and get Greenlit right away" so that clears that up. La-Mulana is presumably somewhere down the list of games with not enough votes to get greenlit. They're not making up the numbers, but they are giving a free pass to certain games when they feel like it. If they're making developers go through Greenlight just to have fewer crappy games on Steam, is this bad?

And the way voting works is pretty simple. A vote is a vote.

I_Smell did indeed get greenlit.

I think they are just making up the numbers as they go to give them time to review the games.

What.

It seems like your entire basis for disliking Greenlight is because 1) some games have to go through it that probably shouldn't have to (this one is a fair complaint, in some cases - e.g., Primordia) and 2) some games which you think should already have seven thousand million votes, don't (this one is the weird one).

What is it that makes you believe La Mulana already has enough votes?

Also La Mulana is available on like twelve other distribution platforms so what are people so up in arms about that for?

You already know the answer to that question, so I'm not sure why you asked it. C'MON, ORV.

If they're making developers go through Greenlight just to have fewer crappy games on Steam, is this bad?

No, no. Tanu is insinuating that they're forcing Known Goods to go through Steam Greenlight so that Greenlight doesn't build a reputation of only having shit games on there. It's possible, I suppose, but doesn't really seem too likely.

Maybe the people behind La Mulana just aren't focusing on driving people towards their Steam Greenlight page, like for example The Great Gianna Sisters, who used their popular Kickstarter as a platform to do that.

Well, the fact that they made Primordia go through Greenlight only to then let it bypass the process does upset me a little. They probably did it as a favor since so it would get Greenlit in time for it's release, but then why make them go through it?

I dunno, maybe the Steam people aren't the kind of people who would even know La-Mulana or other games that I think should have passed. WayForward shouldn't even be here, they've been here making games since the GameBoy Color, but I guess the average Steam user has never played any of their games, but still... Euro Truck Simulator 2? Dragon's Lair? I'm probably the only person here who likes FMV games and I find it hard to believe it passed the test.

Which game is I_Smell's?

the average Steam user has never played any of their games

The average gamer has never played their games. They've been around for a long time, but they've never been big.

Why is Dragon's Lair hard to believe? It's always been hugely, undeservedly popular.

And those weird sims that don't appeal to the normal gamer are inexplicably huge, as well.

The average gamer has never played their games. They've been around for a long time, but they've never been big.

Why is Dragon's Lair hard to believe? It's always been hugely, undeservedly popular.

And those weird sims that don't appeal to the normal gamer are inexplicably huge, as well.

The Average PC gamer? Yes. the average Nintendo gamer? Not so much, they made Contra 4, the new A Boy And His Blob, the Shantae games, Alien Infestation... they made the Adventure Time game and the new Mickey game on the 3DS. They aren't BIG big, but they are big enough.

And last time I heard, most people hate FMV games, I can't remember the last time anybody said anything good about them without being ironic.

The game I made is Dragon's Lair, I am actually Don Bluth.

DON! When are we getting The Secrets of All Fievel's go the Land Before Time 47?

(I_smell's game is No Time to Explain)

I agree that Steam should probably not just be doing the whole "mob rule picks games" thing because then stuff like La Mulana is up a creek, and frankly I think the whole Greenlight thing in general could be handled much better, but there's certainly an argument to be made that this whole thing is very new and that if we give Valve some time to figure stuff out, then we will have a combination of Primordia-esque "Valve realizes what's up and lets the game onto Steam" and also the more mob-driven "this game is the sort of thing people would buy if they could so let's put it on Steam."

Oh, just because I think Gabe Newell is really a robot operated by animated garden gnomes I'm a nutter, right? He wants us to stay inside so we can't see what his fellow garden gnomes are up to! You'll see... YOU'LL ALL SEE.... That I'm just upset that the games I liked didn't pass the test and I'm lashing out and grasping at straws?

I prefer the garden gnome theory to be honest.

On a serious note, if they're decent games and not just RPGMaker trash they'll get in eventually I imagine.

There's a difference between good games made with RPGMaker and the mountains of shit that get shoveled out of it by the year.

The Average PC gamer? Yes. the average Nintendo gamer? Not so much, they made Contra 4, the new A Boy And His Blob, the Shantae games, Alien Infestation... they made the Adventure Time game and the new Mickey game on the 3DS. They aren't BIG big, but they are big enough.

I stand by what I said. Your average gamer period does not know who the fuck WayForward is.

And last time I heard, most people hate FMV games, I can't remember the last time anybody said anything good about them without being ironic.

I stand by what I said. Dragon's Lair has always been huge, and is on nearly every platform imaginable, and continues to sell on those platforms for some reason literally no human alive can comprehend.

If each year, more shit gets shoveled out of it, soon it will be pristine and shit-free!

Well all the shit has to come from somewhere. If the shit dries up, what happens to the mediocre stuff?

Yeah, yeah, this is another post from me being butthurt because a game that I think would never have passed Greenlight is now on Steam and never even needed to go through the process, but seriously...

Dead Pixels? I got this from an old indie bundle and it's just edited Mega Man sprites shooting edited Mega Man sprite zombies. While not awful, it's so ridiculously mediocre and derivative it's astounding it's on Steam and even more astounding that it didn't need to go through Greenlight,

I would have been upset if this game had passed Greenlight before other more deserving games, but the fact that it didn't even need to go through it? This isn't even a proven game developer, it's their first game on Steam!

Besides, the only XBLIG game with zombies Steam-worthy is I Made A Game With Zombies In It! :sombrero:

I know some of you are getting annoyed with me constantly getting butthurt at what gets passed through Steam Greenlight, but come on!

Sure, it won some awards on XBLIG, but... it's XBLIG, stickman games win awards, as a matter of fact, Dead Pixels was just a runner up, a kung fu stick man game was the winner of Dream Build Play. It also claims to have an award from a site that no longer exists.

I'll shut up now, because I really hope Steam can't do "worse" than this... Unless a Double Fine game somehow lands on Greenlight? That would be hilarious and awful at the same time.