Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Counter-Strike Idle Terrorism.

So There's this little game called Counter-Strike Global Offensive, that has been the first time I have (soberly) enjoyed CS. Anyone want to play some games?

The game is available here: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16018/

Beta for the next week, then full game on Tuesday!

I am arse-tighteningly dreadful at Counter-Strike - despite squandering an eye-watering 14 hours a day on it at one point while at Uni - so I'm in there like swimwear.

ACE! What days are good, after tomorrow I have 10 days off so can do almost any time!

Occasionally, anywhere ranging from once a week to once every few days, I look like I know what I'm doing in CS and other FPSes I'm chronically bad at. I call this a Mighty Ducks Moment. This will not happen again, and if it does, it'll be a long time. :( Back to being terrible!

6JB0L.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether this is worth an unqualified recommendation? Back in college, I used to be good enough to break even on clan servers, but if it's just a graphical/infrastructure update, I can't imagine getting back into the swing.

It's a weird blend of 1.6 and GO, with some odd balancing on weapons. The main tier rifles have slightly new patterns, there are a few new weapons, tier two rifles are worth using. It's still very much CS, and if you're done with 1.6/GO I can't recommend it.

Been playing with the bots offline this morning, just to have a look around without upsetting other hoomins, and it does feel fresh (at least to me).

The old familiar maps still have that excellent flow, and the new guns I’ve tried so far feel good. However, one of the new maps I tried – the lakeside one – seemed overly simplistic and quite dull as a result.

The only other unexpected discovery was that there’s still no iron site mechanic. Its omission feels antiquated and a bit cheap, especially as walking basically has the same effect on accuracy and pace. Maybe someone will mod this in? I hope so.

Anyway, these are small gripes. I enjoyed myself all the same. If you see me on Steam chat and fancy a game, ping me an invite.

Iron sights are actually something I think needs to go away mostly, other than a few outliers I think they slow games down too much. I come from the UT Halo school so there's that.

Iron sights are actually something I think needs to go away mostly, other than a few outliers I think they slow games down too much. I come from the UT Halo school so there's that.

The only scope that you need to play CS well is the 360 no-scope with the AWP.

So does anyone miss silencers? Are they coming at some point?

They were in an earlier phase of beta but have never returned, so probably not.

As for iron sites, that's just how CS is. If Hidden Path put iron sites in CS:GO no-one who was still serious about CS would ever play it, and the competitive community would remain in 1.6, which Valve doesn't want.

As for iron sites, that's just how CS is. If Hidden Path put iron sites in CS:GO no-one who was still serious about CS would ever play it, and the competitive community would remain in 1.6, which Valve doesn't want.

Would be nice if it was basically a toggle for the “walking” state, and off by default. Other than the reskin / higher poly count, there’s nothing new here which seems a bit… stolid. I was hoping there would be more to GO than a couple of new maps.

Not that iron sights would be a revelation, but the slight zoom and better accuracy you typically get might have spiced CS up a bit.

From what I've heard they are back at release.

The matchmaking in this game seems to be ridiculously good. I never considered myself good at CS, usually getting a negative k:d, but always playing with good people. But when I'm playing through the quick match feature, I'm getting put into games where I feel like a god. There always seems to be a person or two in the server I consider better than myself, either their on my team and I'm fighting them for kills, or they're on the opposite team and I'm trying to get revenge for their constant headshots.

But what makes it amazing, is that when I go check my stats, my kill to death ratio is like 1.001. They're pairing me up against basically equals, and the pacing is such that I feel like I'm a bad ass.

I think in a large part, it's due to the way I play CS. I was more of a DoD player, and enjoyed taking high risk rushes to flank the enemy team that would lead to capitalizing on their surprise. I'm constantly fighting myself to play CS properly, and be more patient. So my aim, map understanding and reaction times are all much higher than my survival instincts. Meaning that if I am forcing myself to stay concentrated, I'm paired up against people who are probably less skilled and I can win skill challenges that I'd normally feel terrified of. Such as long range AK fights, where I used to feel unbelievably out matched since everyone else was so amazing at it.

Basically, since I'm always storming around like an idiot trying to get the first skill by surprise; when I do take the time to play properly I feel like I'm surrounded by people I can confidently beat. I have never felt this comfortable playing CS.

So, worth a punt? The AK, when you got the hang of it, usually guaranteed a headshot. Aiming at the torso, while crouched, 2 shot pattern, the recoil from the first could mostly be relied upon to get the rifle in line with the head.

I hate how when you're on a server and you open the server browser and click to join a new one it just exits back to the main menu instead of joining a new server. At least that's how it is for me. Also, I've been playing on a bunch of servers that I think are just using source versions of maps, but they still look like upgraded graphics because I never switched to source and have only played maybe 10 hours total of it, a lot of which was earlier in 2012. So everything looks new, even the things that aren't actually new.

Also, I want a WC3 mod server ASAP.

Yeh I had that drop to main menu thing a few times last night. It seems to have settled down a bit now and works ok. 90% of the time.

So I just played a game with some real life friends that are super serious about the game, as in they get mad at team spawns and stuff, and plan out exactly whats happening and who is buying what and how many people are going where. I was so weird, like having people actually stop what they were doing and turn around because someone told them there was an AWP somewhere on the ground

It's really weird that they're hiding CS behind a paywall, after the clear success of TF2 and Dota 2. It has no single-player elements, so... I'm not sure why? It might be because they have no intention of supporting it as heavily as those other two games. Also, I feel like cosmetic items would be more out of place in CS than most multiplayer games. It has such a serious overtone. Even Dota 2 is just a super ridiculous mash-up of thousands of fantasy tropes that don't really fit together but somehow actually do, so the ridiculous outfits kind of work.

How do you sell hat in CS?

I mean, at least they're not going the non-Valve approach to DLC, of hiding maps and actual game content behind a paywall. But, even still, it is really weird. I have no idea what I'm saying. That was a ramble.