nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

Lumberjanes got upgraded from miniseries to continuing series, and the first issue's sold out on the distributor level and is being reprinted. Hooway!

The first issue dropped in price, so I got it, I can't wait to read it! :3

Comixology should have a subscription method that instead of buying the newest issue, it wait until the obligatory price drop after a month or two.

I'm going through my old super-hero comic-books to find some stuff to give to a the ten year-old child of Capt. Hasting's co-worker. My first thought was the X-men reboot from the early 90's, but upon looking through them, I was surprised that they are so racy. That must have been why I liked it so much as a 13 year-old heterosexual boy. I put together a pile of comics that I wouldn't feel weird about giving him. Interestingly Web of Spider-man was a bit *hmm* while The Spectacular Spider-Man is safer (though one issue is about a Appalachian family of mutated hicks). I also noticed that X-men is more of a Halo multiplayer style of comic, while Silver Surfer is all introspective psuedo-religious like a fantasy RPG or something.

Anyway, I had no idea that all of the ads in the comic-books are for games, table-top and video variety. I didn't consider video-gaming as a hobby at the time (though it totally was) and it's weird that there is such a broad cross-section. 

Here are a few of the ads.

tumblr_n63l9borcw1s7gx5to5_400.jpgtumblr_n63l9borcw1s7gx5to4_400.jpgtumblr_n63l9borcw1s7gx5to3_1280.jpgtumblr_n63l9borcw1s7gx5to1_400.jpgtumblr_n63l9borcw1s7gx5to2_400.jpg

The Afterlife With Archie trade paperback is out next week apparently. Nifty! Also, Archie comics announced that there's going to be a new ongoing Sabrina the Teenage Witch series produced in the same style, as an out-and-out horror comic.

a new ongoing Sabrina the Teenage Witch series produced in the same style, as an out-and-out horror comic.

what

is Sabrina getting her powers from Satan now or something

Honestly it's Archie comics so I wouldn't be surprised

From Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the new CCO at Archie:

“The new Sabrina series is most definitely not a comedy,” he warns. “It really riffs on the fact that Sabrina’s father was a warlock, that she’s the youngest member of a dynasty of witches. That she’s got one foot in the mortal world, of high school and cheerleading, and the other in this…crazy coven. We’re going to explore Greendale’s dark, bloody history. We’re going to give Sabrina an arch-nemesis -- a couple of them, actually. If Afterlife is our homage to The Evil Dead, then Sabrina is our homage to Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, Carrie and The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane.”

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a spinoff or if it's its own thing, but the next issue of Afterlife is about Sabrina so I'm excited for when that comes out.

alwarchie6.jpg

I've still only read the first issue 'cause I'm waiting for the trade. Sabrina's mouth is still sealed shut?

Yeah.  Also wow I didnt realize how big that picture was, I posted it on mobile.

In other news Southern Bastards is still amazing.  Easily my favorite series this year.

Oh so they've retooled Sabrina the Teenage Witch to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I read the previous Sabrina comic because I was a fan of the artist, Tania Del Rio.... I have no idea what she's up to now. :|

It was manga styled and pretty "shojo", but I liked it?

Lumberjanes #3 nicely pays off something set up in the first issue while also deepening the ~mystery~, which is nice.

I just found both Incognito TPBs in a charity shop, and really liked the world they set up and the mix of pulp and psychological realism. Shame Brubaker and Philips didn't do any more

Yeah I really liked Incognito. I'm interested to see what their new series is like (the fade out), I think they said it's going to be closer to Criminal than any of their other stuff has been. They currently have a five year contract with Image where they can do whatever they want so they're probably going to be putting out a bunch of good stuff.

Is it true the physical version of Lumberjanes comes with camp badges? Or was it some special promotion?

No, the back cover is designed to look like a scout sash and new badges (designed by Kate Leth) are added to it every time the girls earn a badge in the story. I wish they'd make physical badges out of them though.

tumblr_n75nnbi0nV1sxk97vo3_500.jpg

This looks pretty real to me, but when I found it again, it turns out the person who posted it worked for Boom Studios, so I guess it's a special promo after all?

That'd be Kate Leth, who designed them. It's a really zoomed-in view of the back cover. It only looks like fabric because it's a grainy image.

It looks like a calculords sew on badge!

It's the "Everything Under the Sum" badge for mathematics.

Oh yeah! DMP is running another Kickstarter to publish another Tezuka book. This time it's Captain Ken, a space western from 1960 about humans colonizing Mars with a heavy dose of Native American genocide metaphor. Plus DMP's been really good about producing quality work in a reasonable timeframe when it comes to their other Tezuka Kickstarters, so this seems like a really sure bet, unlike that unfortunate last Tezuka Kickstarter.