Sign in to follow this  
vimes

Cradle: Gone Home but with androids instead of ghosts

Mentioned by Nick Breckon via twitter; a gorgeous Myst-like set in colourful post-apocalyptic Mongolian landscapes.

I suggest you watch the following video WITHOUT the sound. I find the soundtrack horrendous.

It evokes vaguely Spielberg's AI and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō.

It's apparently an android the player is trying to piece back together and power up again.

VUmRpWw.jpg

This game seemed to come out without much fanfare, but i heard of it when giant bomb (East, it was Vinny and Austin) did a quick look. which is well worth a look. Anyway I was almost immediately sold on the game and went ahead and bought it. I haven't finished it yet, played for about 2 hours or so, but it is very cool. It is mostly reading lots of notes to piece together what might have happened in the world and solving some first-person puzzles, nothing crazy but there's some item finding. Besides the immediately striking visuals and very well realized, but small, space, the most interesting thing is the story. I'm not entirely sure where its all going, but its handling a scifi story in a way games usually don't. The story involves "neurocopying" which is the transfer of a mind to another, artificial body, which became necessary because of a sort of epidemic. A lot of the fun i've had to far is piecing together that information, so I don't want to say too much in the first post in case anyone wants to check it out. There is more info in that quick look as well.

I'll see what I think once i've finished it, but so far I'm loving it. Even if the puzzles aren't great, the world and story and style are worth it. 

e: apparently there was already a thread for this oops https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7941-the-cradle-from-flyingcafegames/?hl=%2Bcradle#entry199760. Should I close this one?

A friend sold me on this the week before last by saying it was an eastern european developed game, and felt like STALKER but without violence. I can't wait to get into it. 

That thread's ancient, so I think this should be OK.

I'm thinking about picking it up after the GBEast talk as well.

I played another hour or 2 yesterday, I feel like i'm getting close to the end. I'm still really liking what it's doing, and holy shit the skybox at night looks so cool. They have a very stylized skybox which changes as the game progresses, and its really cool. It did seem a bit strange at first that the stylized skybox and (to some extent) terrain was mixed with well realized realistic space, like the interior of the yurt, but it didn't actually feel out of place. 

The game does get in the way of itself though, there are the block puzzles shown in teh quicklook which seem out of place, and there was one, very short bit of platforming that was required in part of the game. In most games it wouldn't even be worth mentioning, but this game isn't really designed as a platformer, so trying to make the like 2 jumps and not fall through the floor on this one part was annoying.

That said, I appreciate that this story is in a game, and not another medium, I really like exploring and discovering the space organically (vs how a movie or book would tell the story) and delving into all the tiny details, of which there are many.

I'm about two hours in. The cube puzzles are annoying but a small price to pay for what is one of the most interesting games I've played in a while. The story treating completely insane things as mundane reminds me of the Strugatsky brothers, which makes sense considering that the devs worked on the Stalker games.

I decided to kill the Quick Look after they took the armor off the eagle. I've got to pick this up.

I'm going to get it for sure. Could it be possible that I saw this even before that the first 2011 teaser on YouTube? I've been remembering a teaser with that yurt for years, but didn't remember which game it was for. Now I know.

I didn't know about the dev's pedigree with STALKER, or really anything about them, but I can see that. I also love how it treats the incredible as mundane (since it is, in that world, of course). 

I'm about two hours in. The cube puzzles are annoying but a small price to pay for what is one of the most interesting games I've played in a while. The story treating completely insane things as mundane reminds me of the Strugatsky brothers, which makes sense considering that the devs worked on the Stalker games.

I've only read Roadside Picnic, which was great, ill have to check their other stuff if its like that (and in english).

Hm. Well, I Just finished it. I was right, I was close to the end. I don't know that im satisfied, but I don't know what I was expecting either. I've only pieced together part of what I think the story was, but ultimately I think the world and the premise and the way the story is presented are fantastic, even if the story itself... well i'm not sure yet. But im glad I played it.

e: also thanks mods for splicing the threads together! just noticed that

e2: Just some more thoughts I had, there are actually a number of similarities to the original STALKER's story, but im not sure if those are intentional or just stuff im seeing since I was thinking about stalker since someone brought it up and these are ex devs. But stuff like, the sphere, and the main character with amnesia, and that maybe the main character was involved in what happened and maybe theres something that can fix it? (im not actually sure about those last details wrt this game, but that was the case for STALKER).

Also i want to play STALKER again. The first one

I played this, i... mostly like it? Yeah, i like it. It's a cool thing.

The puzzling is very awkward, both the mini-game and the tasks given to you in and around the hut, but it's beautiful and full of extremely cool world-building, and for the price being asked, i think that's probably enough.

The ending is definitely not cool though, It kind of comes out of nowhere and sort of tosses everything else its done out the window and leaves you with an ambiguous question that seems to have some pretty lame answers.

It looks like I finished this game. I did not expect the game to end at that point, especially not in that way. I have no idea what to make of the ending. So much stuff left unexplored. A real shame.

The puzzle mini games were tedious as fuck. Luckily you can skip them if you want.

It looks like I finished this game. I did not expect the game to end at that point, especially not in that way. I have no idea what to make of the ending. So much stuff left unexplored. A real shame.

The puzzle mini games were tedious as fuck. Luckily you can skip them if you want.

Wait you can?

I was also pretty dissasitified with the ending, but I still really like the game for what it was trying to do and how well it started. What if the entire game was in that yurt? 

How can you skip them? I just got to the Endless Sands thing and am seemingly incapable of collecting the appropriate number of blue blocks. The game has been really cool so far, but I really don't want to play that mini-game again.

I was super interested in this when the first trailer was shown, had no idea it was out.

It's a shame that the ending seems bad though. Might get it someday, but I'm super busy right now. But I can already say that I would enjoy a way of skipping those puzzles :)

Just fail the mini games, and you get a prompt to skip them.

Just fail the mini games, and you get a prompt to skip them.

Thanks! :)

Watched a gameplay vídeo last night, seemed so good! The writing was great from the small segment I saw. Might get it earlier then. How long is the game? Hope it's short.