Lu 

The DayZ thread of TEAMWORK and STORIES

Yeah, good to see the Thumbs Server on the up. How many will be playing Sean Style and how many Olly Style?

Respawned and met a fellow new spawn just outside Sol. We emoted and jumped for a while. Don't think he had prox chat and he didn't respond to a text invitation to resupply together. But we didn't kill each other on sight. So there's that.

Once again planning my next move from the construction site. Found the bat I left there last time, but the wealth of backpacks and hard hats has gone. Need to get better at finding food.

Just finished the latest Thumbs episode, and I think it'd be pretty cool to set up a Twitch/Day Z event like this:

Team Thumbs (Sean, Fire Extinguisher Psycho, et al) get extremely badass guns, pick a location, and defend an unarmed civilian who has a specific book in his inventory. There are a bunch of books already in the game, so it'd be tough to cheese it by searching down a random copy of Don Quixote or something.

Going off of the multiple streamer idea, I figured there could be two ways to win. Either a player delivers the book to some pre-designated finish line, claiming a reward (steam keys or something) for himself, or a team delivers the book to a streamer and they protect him as he moves to the finish line and everyone (up to a certain number of people) gets something that's hopefully cooler than the greediness option.

Everyone will know where the package originates, and everyone will potentially alt-tab to figure out where the various press guys are situated. I think it might make for some tense situations, but I dunno if there'd be too many moving parts.

http://dayzbattleroyale.com/

This is not a game inside DayZ Standalone, but if enough people have the ability to play the mod this game mode is awesome. It drops you into the map and the goal is to be the last person standing, with the zone you are allowed to be inside in the map area decreasing at set intervals (time/kills). It could be you against one other person in a 50m radius. It's super hard to just decide to go play it, because the majority of the maps won't begin until you have X number of players in them and it's not the most popular of the mods.

Just out of interest, is the Thumbs DayZ server always password-protected, or was that just for the Sean vs. Olly event?

Would be nice to find somewhere dick-free. It's stressful trying to play the game decently – i.e. cooperatively and being helpful – knowing some arse is looking to blow your brains out Just Because.

Don't think password protection is permitted at all, at least not according to http://dayzgame.com/downloads/Server_Hosting_Rules_Public.pdf

I've been pootling about on the IT server for a few hours this week and haven't ever been on with more than 2 or 3 other players so far. Found some decent equipment (for sharing, naturally), but really, really need a tin opener.

I will be starting my char on the IT server today. If you like to play some dayz today I will be on mumble.

(will start in about 2 hours)

Fortunate - I just got dropped from a ladder and crippled my Thumbs character. Got rags but no splints, so not much chance of survival, but there's a canteen, a couple of IV bags and plenty of other moderately useful stuff to donate if you can make it over to my location.

Finally gave in to getting the standalone, ready to thumb up whenever somebody feels like playing

While jogging in the Northern Lands near NWAF I got the Red Message of Restart.  Feeling brave I decided to enter into the rich weapon fields of Air Field. Coming from the north is a slightly different experience in that if you spot someone it will likely be when they're in spitting distance from you.  Also just as dangerous is that I generally roll without an exposed weapon (Rifle/Shotgun/Melee weapon - in other words concealed stuff only) to hopefully minimize the 'shoot armed guys' mentality some players hold as a... creed I guess.

So far I'm lucky with just Zed keeping me company but apart from a Ballistic Helmet and some rounds for my FNX45 there is not much making this trip worth the while.  However that is just from the northern tents and barracks, rolling the dice I delve into the airstrip proper with fencing trenches between every gold mine.  Now just a reminder, the server hasn't been reset for no more then 15 minutes and Zed walking around means the Players ain't.

Just as I round a line of sheet metal I spy something that stops me in my tracks, a door wide open.  I'll never know if the person inside was friendly or not, I turned right around and ran like hell with my head staring fixed at the building till the hillside ate it up.

(Not the most brilliant story but kinda crazy that its one of the most memorable for me in a game where a player can take you out from across a valley and you never know hes there)

What's the connection to the server like from the UK? Might have to see if I can find the server when I get home, though I'm pretty sure I can see some desync and flying through walls in my future if I play on the IT server:D

So I went to the doctor for a sinus infection yesterday, and the male nurse who was doing all my checks (weight, temp, etc) and I were just casually chatting, and video games came up.  I mentioned Dark Souls 2 coming out this week, and he got all excited and asked if I played this game called DayZ, because it's hardcore like Dark Souls.  He told me that DayZ is how he relaxes in the evenings.  Working in a medical field can be stressful and exhausting, and he likes DayZ because he just assumes he's going to get killed.  It's not stressful, since death is a given, so every evening is just the chance for a new journey. 

It was the weirdest conversation to have at my doctor's office.

Speaking of which, there is in fact at least one DayZ "clan" of medics who specialize in bringing medical aid to downed participants. They have a strict code of conduct when it comes to making contact with active combatants.

Trusted Medics of the Wasteland's Rules of Engagement

(One of their members has written up some pretty comprehensive Steam Guides on food, medical supplies, energy use and that sort of thing)

Speaking of which, there is in fact at least one DayZ "clan" of medics who specialize in bringing medical aid to downed participants. They have a strict code of conduct when it comes to making contact with active combatants.

Trusted Medics of the Wasteland's Rules of Engagement

(One of their members has written up some pretty comprehensive Steam Guides on food, medical supplies, energy use and that sort of thing)

There is also the Reddit Rescue Force - Although only trust who they are if you are talking with them on their teamspeak.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RedditRescueForce/new/

I've made a new video with a look at the current state of alphas and early access, with an examination of why I played a load of Day Z and then stopped:

Ah man, this god damn sub-forum. I was looking all over the place in the gaming forum for a DayZ thread. I never check these sub-forums so now I'm wondering how many wonderful discussions I've missed out on over the years.

Anyway, this is just splendid:

It's the kind of experience that single-player horror games can only dream of conjuring up.

I need someone to come rescue me on the Idle Thumbs server. I don't want to log back in just to unload my backpack, die, and not make it back to the remains before they vanish.

Please.

Holy crap, that video was terrifying and captivating.  The end was actually amazing. 

The really dark part is that countless people have likely been subjected to comparable psychotic behaviour in the real world.

I need someone to come rescue me on the Idle Thumbs server. I don't want to log back in just to unload my backpack, die, and not make it back to the remains before they vanish.

Please.

What's up? Where are you and what's your situation?

What's up? Where are you and what's your situation?

A narrow ledge on the hospital roof in Elektro, with broken legs after a ladder glitched out. Idle Thumbs server.

Hee. The above posts alone make me want to play this.

A narrow ledge on the hospital roof in Elektro, with broken legs after a ladder glitched out. Idle Thumbs server.

(The server doesn't actually matter). I'm at the hospital and I have morphine. Get in touch and we'll see if we can fix you up. I'm pretty sure you added me on Steam at some point.

Excellent, thank you.

That said, the information about server use is kind of disappointing because ( a ) video games, and ( b ) it effectively minimizes the opportunity for anyone else to set up an ambush which I guess some part of me had been secretly hoping for.

One of the cornerstones of DayZ is persistent experience, so the servers are hived together. You can log on to any server that is in the same hive as Idle Thumbs and your character will be there. It would be an extremely different game if every time you logged on to a new server you started from scratch. It's sort of Rule 0 of the whole game. I would suggest it makes it less Video Games than the other way around. As long as you're on a hardcore server you'll be the same as you are on the Thumbs server.

Yes, there is that. I might prefer to have a single character for every server but I understand that's not what this game is going for.

Anyway, thanks for rescuing my injured ass and teaching me the ways of inventory emptying and carrying unloaded but threatening weapons.