BigJKO

Awesomenauts

Why is there no thread for this game! It just barely got released (publisher went bankrupt just before release day) but it was out yesterday (I think?)

It's a Lords Management game which, I gather, is basically a friendlier DOTA game? It seems like it's similar, at least. Break through defenses. Small droids (creeps) help you out. Defend your home base at all costs.

Anyway, I've played it for a couple of hours online and I'm pretty hooked. Also, no voice chat means no one's being a dick.

To clarify, DOTA is a Lords Management.

It's what people are calling that genre. ("multiplayer online battle arena" - Seriously, that's what it actually stands for.)

I thought we'd all agreed to call it Lords Management?

Played this for about 3 hours last night and I really liked it. Only played against bots and I liked the slow trickle levelling. I am concerned though as I played with Lonestar first and found I just couldn't kill anyone but was reasonably good at destroying turrets then I changed to the big robot dude and went round destroying everything. Is there balancing issues or am I just rubbish with that character?

My other concern is that the grading system seems to be around destroying stuff, I unlocked a healer but I imagine no one using him as they won't score a lot of points. On top of that the two classes I had unlocked abilities that allowed them to regenerate health.

The art style is really nice, the opening is amazingly cheesy, the three hours I played of it were at 2AM when I should have been in bed so they are doing something right.

I don't know if there's balancing issues, but I've seen lots of people use the healer class. He really does a difference if used right. As far as Solar currency, I think he gets them for each time he heals someone, so there's that. Don't know about points, obviously he doesn't get any actual kills.

My biggest pain, at the moment, is that my shitty internet connection keeps booting me out of my games. Which registers as me "quitting a match in progress" Resulting in me getting no win XP, when I actually finish and win a match.. :(:(:fart:

But yeah, art style and just the silly, 80's atmosphere is great. Theme song turns into a cheesy hip hop song, when you select Froggy G. Love it!

Put a ton more hours in and the Healer class is just ridiculous. If left alone he can steamroll through turrets like nobody's business.

The assassin class is a hell of a lot of fun but you seem to need about three or 4 upgrades before he is really lethal (Cloak, heal while cloaked, damage to people's backs). The Mech guy is my favourite as he is a classic tank with his abilities meaning he can pretty much hold the line indefinitely. The Froggy G character is fun but too many of his attacks put him in harms way and the tornado attack he gets needs levelling up to a protective shield before his attacks become an effective combo.

The Monkey is a bit disappointing (his mines seem pretty useless) and I think that the cowboy is an interesting class but poor as an introduction to the game as he seems to be mainly support.

I was completely wrong about the healer guy though, he is ridiculously powerful once he is surrounded by the little robots/creepers.

Have you player online yet? I suck so hard, I feel like I'm actually ruining the game for my team mates. I feel they'd be better off with a shitty bot. :violin:

No, I've been using the practice mode to get used to 3 of the classes (the assassin chamaleon, the brute robot and the healer) so that I can be of use towards whatever tactics my teammates go for. The practice mode is good because you can still level up and unlock characters, abilities and levels

On X360 there is a great 3 player splitscreen mode that is good, clean Co-op fun. Not sure how viable it will be against real people but having the healer, the frog dude (aka: heavy damage dealer) and the giant robot guy is a good combination. I am going to try the online in the next couple days and see what tactics are out there but mainly I want to see how people deal with the healer, he is a beast.

I've never played a Lords management game before so I have no idea whether this is a good example or not but I recommend it as a game that I have played.

Yeah, this is first time I've managed Lords, so I'm no authority on the managerial quality on display here. But I'm having loads of fun with it, even when I suck at it.

I think it has to do with the fact that it's pretty clear what you're doing wrong, when your team is losing. Or it's pretty clear what the other team is doing right.

This game is currently free for Playstation Plus subscribers, by the way. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, because Symphony of the Night was another one of the free games this month. :clap:

I loved the game. Played about 15 hours in 3 days so I have put it down for a bit. There are some balancing issues or tactics that can spoil the game.

For example the monkey can just float just out of the firing angle of a turret and still laser it. Making him a good tool against them, especially if the enemy don't see you. Upgrading is time wrap to a healing thing allows you to heal the solar drill, mines seriously hurt players that get too close and his laser is super effective in that bottleneck situation.

There are more tactics that can be seen as game breaking that I don't wish to share. I've seen games last no more than 2 minutes when played in this way.

Just picked this up last night for xbla, really fun! Having the coop option is really nice as it's very enjoyable to all be in the same room coordinating strategy and what have you.

This is also my first Lords Management game so I'm kind of learning as I go. It seems relatively simple: hide behind drones and kill turrets without getting killed.

Most of my wins (against the bots) have come from just charging forward and ignoring my own turrest and basically base trading. Because as long as you get to the enemies base first that's where they'll go to defend it, keeping the fight in their turf. I'm sure this all completely changes when you go online.

I'm sure this all completely changes when you go online.

Yes. I jumped straight into online at first. I sucked balls. Then I tried against bots, and I ruled the lords. The difference was very noticeable.

Yep. I finally played online last night and just got wrecked. It did not go well.

The bot AI is kind of horrible in the game. Even when there's a clear path to the enemy base they'll still go after existing turrets until there are none left. And they never wait for eachother to present a strong force.

I've decided the best combo right now is healer and monkey. Healer heals monkey who does dps with his crazy long range laser. Failing that the tank robot is a good companion as he can just strut in front of a turret (as long as there's healer nearby) and soak up damage indefinitely.

What platform do you guys play on? I'm hotcoals on xbl.

Due to the Humble Bundle, Awesomenauts is back on the menu! I'm playing this for the first time and having a blast. It's such a loveable game! Iconically I am drifting towards the creepy crawly classes (Gnaw and Genji), which have amazing visual identity but are hard to play. Never mind, it's so much fun. I can't wait to start playing again after work (and after the E3 shows)!

Do you still have to pick up / fight over XP orbs to level up?

I hate that.

I have not encountered an XP orb yet, so my guess is no. You level up by gaining Solar currency, and you don't really 'level up', you just use it to purchase new abilities that are then always available. No consumables, no XP orbs. It's a pretty loveable system.

(Get a PC!) (Don't you have a PC with Steam somewhere lying around?)

I don't play PC games. I know that is a travesty in this forum but there you go.

I have not encountered an XP orb yet, so my guess is no. You level up by gaining Solar currency, and you don't really 'level up', you just use it to purchase new abilities that are then always available. No consumables, no XP orbs. It's a pretty loveable system.

Right that's the xp. I hate it. ):

Really? I've... never really had any situation where I had to fight over some scrap of solar. It's plentiful, and you get it by killing dudes too. Oh well.

Yeah I don't begrudge anyone for liking it, but I found the system intolerable. Whateverrrrr.