elmuerte

Leisure Suit Larry in "gimme your money"

Oooh, and then in five years, they could remake it again. They can shoot for the record of most remade game.

Erm, I enjoyed the first one as a kid, but for some reason it just feels way sleezier when it isn't in pixelated art... also I'm nearly 30 so I don't know if I'd find it as amusing.

Even as a LSL fan, I don't know if I want to give money for a remake of a game that's been remade 2~3 times.

You gotta give the man props for that video. 'Hi, I'm legendary adventure game designer Tim Sch-- Al Lowe.' :tup:

Yeah, the fact that Al Lowe is making a remake and not a new game isn't very enticing.

Isn't this bad timing? Many adventure fan's wallets are still recovering from the Schafer Kickstarter and probably can't afford much, if anything at all.

Not to mention that it seems they are trying to ride on the coat tails of Schafer (I'm not sure if I'm using the expression right) and are trying to get a Kickstarter up before people forget what it's about?

Also, I don't want a condom if I buy the Collector's Edition...:oldman:

So this remake was announced at least half a year ago and now they want to kickstart it. That's strange.

Haven't played a Larry game in a very long time, so my memories are cloudy...

...Are the Larry games good adventures?

...The sexism, it is pretty dumb, no? Or is there commentary or something validating it?

I did like (parts of) the kickstarter-video, though.

Yeah, I was about to say... this again? I was hoping this project was dead, honestly.

I like Leisure Suit Larry games, but this remake makes no sense to me. It's using LSL7 style graphics and animation (but not very well drawn), redrawn versions of the remake backgrounds which are in a disjointedly separated style from the characters, and using archaic adventure game design which was rampant in Larry games until the sixth one.

They also have a bunch of designers involved that had nothing to do with Larry games, so why bring too many cooks in the kitchen? I am also not a fan of Josh Mandel's painfully dense writing.

What's the point? Just seems like a weird misguided fan remake, Al Lowe or not. This is just such a bad idea. It would be a better idea to just make a new one so there'd be more freedom since they've got Al Lowe and the license.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I'm not a huge fan, by any means, but I backed it. I like seeing these guys making the stuff they WANT to make without publisher interference... I just hope they produce gold, so that Kickstarter remains a good idea.

I have never understood the appeal of Leisure Suit Larry.

As I say, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Al Lowe or Leisure Suit Larry. I'm amazed that even as a teenage boy it didn't hold any fascination for you, however.

I've only ever played the first game, and that was only a few years ago, to finally see what the fuss was about.

It was OK.

I wouldn't call Leisure Suit Larry sexist, though stuff I've read from Al Lowe sometimes makes me think that's an accident. It's about a middle-aged virgin who has no idea what he's doing desperately trying to get laid. It's Larry who is the victim in those games (at least the early ones), not the women. I'm sure it get off course at moments but the premise isn't sexist. The humour is far cleverer than any game that combines sex and humour that I can think of.

If Al Lowe intended to make a new game, I'd be interested, but I don't see any reason to remake the first game again. Actually, a fresher approach to drawing humour out of contemporary notions of sexuality would be much appreciated, not something that has aged so much.

If Al Lowe intended to make a new game, I'd be interested, but I don't see any reason to remake the first game again.

It seems from the Kickstarter page that this will expand the original game somehow. Sort of like Leisure Suit Larry: Zero Mission, I suppose?

He's got my money already; I'm a Kickstarter addict!

Leisure Suit Larry is the Porky's/Revenge of the Nerds/American Pie of games.

I enjoyed playing the latter few releases, I tried the first one once, but found it rather brutal on the difficulty curve. I didn't even know there was a VGA version of LSL1.

I really like Larry 5, 6 and 7, especially the latter two. They did exactly what the first game was attempting to do but with LucasArts design principles. 6 and 7 are also completely open to solve whatever puzzle you please in a large area, which is my favorite type of adventure design.

They could sometimes be too sincerely dirty, making things awkward, or just have dumb jokes that fell flat, but I have a soft spot for the series. I just see this remake as extremely misguided and superfluous.

If they are planning to do a whole design overhaul, it's basically going to have to be a different type of game. Larry 1 was a short game full of idiotic or cruel dead ends or doing something unrelated to trigger another essential event. If that's the case, I'd be much more likely to donate to support a brand new Larry game. I also don't know how they are going afford good voice actors like the previous games with this kind of funding. This company is in Austin (I might have already accidentally insulted one of the makers on Facebook ;() and they'd have to fly people out.

Al Lowe was definitely needed for the Larry series, the games after the Sierra disintegration are proof enough, but he's been out of practice for way too long and none of these people are obviously designing in house, so just so much of this stuff is iffy.

As I say, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Al Lowe or Leisure Suit Larry. I'm amazed that even as a teenage boy it didn't hold any fascination for you, however.

Even as a kid, when I'd just worked out sex, Leisure Suit Larry looked really sleazy and out me way off. Maybe it's not, but the initial appearance of it was enough to stop me ever even being curious. I found other prurient bullshit to indulge in as a teenager :)

I'm amazed that even as a teenage boy it didn't hold any fascination for you, however.

By the time i would have cared, i was already on the internet. Whole worlds of filth were open to me, you know? So there was never any "forbidden fruit" appeal, and it always just seemed a little too sleazy anyways. Larry Laffer is not a character i want to roleplay.

Also, Sierra. The abundance of no-win scenarios in their games really put me off adventure games.

Apparently Jane Jensen's just started her own Kickstarter... :frusty:

Why did they think this would be a good idea? Do they think we're so rich we can afford to invest so much money in more or less a month?

Who is next? The Two Guys From Andromeda? :getmecoat

Well, I'm super-excited about the Jane Jensen kickstarter and super NOT excited about the LSL one, so this is a no-brainer for me.