Brannigan

DOTA 2

If it's anything like other chat channels or guilds I've participated in for Dota, I would suggest just initiating things on your end. People may not be actively trying to form a group, but they are often receptive to someone doing the work for them. I apologize to the regulars if that's bad advice in this context, but in my experiences to date it's been effective.

I'd say that's good advice. I'm usually in a party with two or three friends, so I haven't tried to organize one yet. I'll be playing solo a bit this weekend, which I hate, so I'll probably be looking for DotaToda friends.

on the topic of match making i find a real enjoyment when matching up against the same group over and over again

My 3-lock team in un-ranked RD pulled the same opposing 3-lock team three games in a row.  we took the series 2-1, and lost the last one to weaver that went an absurd 19-0 (rooftrellan living armor saves on at least 4 counts) - nothing spectacular about the games, just satisfying to have a random match series with the same people

the close out of the night though was the worst/best RD lord pool could imagine.  there was not one "hard support", the final lineup was - Doom, Mirana, Razor, Silencer, Alch VS Morph, Ember, Dragon Knight, Skywrath, & Vipes.

the viper ended up dropping, but it was a really neat game where lords where shoe-horned into roles not usually setup for.  and the two pubs in the group were canadian stoners, pretty great voice chat commentary

Haven't posted in this thread before. Only been playing Dota for a couple of weeks. Had to stop in because I just finally managed to pull off my first successful carry! Am so excited and didn't know who else to tell that would appreciate it. :) There's a screenshot here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unavoidablegrain/13531538223/ I played as Sand King, one of the few heroes that I feel like I sort of understand how to play and the only one who's not a support. After watching this Purge video 

I tried a new build order building up burrowstrike before sand storm and going for a blink dagger. The combination makes for great chase and kill potential. Ended up 29-4-7, more kills than their whole team put together.

It may sound like I'm bragging here, and I guess I am, but I think it really speaks to how amazing this game is. The learning curve on this thing is amazing. Just so well tuned. I'm constantly balanced on a knife edge between feeling frustrated with myself when I fuck up or have a bad game and so psyched when I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of some new skill -- like improving my last-hitting -- or or pull off some maneuver  -- like ganking with a blink dagger and burrowstrike combo or trapping someone with Lina's light strike so someone else can finish them off. And I've only probably played about a third of the heroes ever and I only feel like I have the hang of maybe five. The learning curve just goes up forever as far as I can see. It's awe inspiring.

I'm totally shocked to find myself as into a game that's this goddamn complicated and fiddly as this one. It shouldn't work but it does.

on the topic of match making i find a real enjoyment when matching up against the same group over and over again

My 3-lock team in un-ranked RD pulled the same opposing 3-lock team three games in a row. we took the series 2-1, and lost the last one to weaver that went an absurd 19-0 (rooftrellan living armor saves on at least 4 counts) - nothing spectacular about the games, just satisfying to have a random match series with the same people

Whoa, what are the chances?! My bf and I played a game over the weekend and a guy we recently started playing with was on the opposing team. With so many unique players, I wonder how often this actually happens.

Haven't posted in this thread before. Only been playing Dota for a couple of weeks. Had to stop in because I just finally managed to pull off my first successful carry! Am so excited and didn't know who else to tell that would appreciate it. :) Ended up 29-4-7, more kills than their whole team put together.

It may sound like I'm bragging here, and I guess I am, but I think it really speaks to how amazing this game is. The learning curve on this thing is amazing. Just so well tuned. I'm constantly balanced on a knife edge between feeling frustrated with myself when I fuck up or have a bad game and so psyched when I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of some new skill -- like improving my last-hitting -- or or pull off some maneuver -- like ganking with a blink dagger and burrowstrike combo or trapping someone with Lina's light strike so someone else can finish them off. And I've only probably played about a third of the heroes ever and I only feel like I have the hang of maybe five. The learning curve just goes up forever as far as I can see. It's awe inspiring.

I'm totally shocked to find myself as into a game that's this goddamn complicated and fiddly as this one. It shouldn't work but it does.

Congrats! That's so awesome. I have around 800hrs in the game and my highest kill count is 28 I think, so you should definitely be proud. Now that you've experienced the high of dominating in this game, good luck getting out. Dota is like a drug; it has high highs and low lows, and you're always looking for that next high. Enjoy. ;p

Haven't posted in this thread before. Only been playing Dota for a couple of weeks. Had to stop in because I just finally managed to pull off my first successful carry! Am so excited and didn't know who else to tell that would appreciate it. :) There's a screenshot here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unavoidablegrain/13531538223/ I played as Sand King, one of the few heroes that I feel like I sort of understand how to play and the only one who's not a support. After watching this Purge video 

I tried a new build order building up burrowstrike before sand storm and going for a blink dagger. The combination makes for great chase and kill potential. Ended up 29-4-7, more kills than their whole team put together.

It may sound like I'm bragging here, and I guess I am, but I think it really speaks to how amazing this game is. The learning curve on this thing is amazing. Just so well tuned. I'm constantly balanced on a knife edge between feeling frustrated with myself when I fuck up or have a bad game and so psyched when I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of some new skill -- like improving my last-hitting -- or or pull off some maneuver  -- like ganking with a blink dagger and burrowstrike combo or trapping someone with Lina's light strike so someone else can finish them off. And I've only probably played about a third of the heroes ever and I only feel like I have the hang of maybe five. The learning curve just goes up forever as far as I can see. It's awe inspiring.

Congratulations.  It's that unending learning curve and the rush of well-coordinated team play that makes dota as engaging as it is.  I'm halfway through my second year of playing this game and I keep coming back.  In fact, so far in 2014, I've played at least one match of dota 2 on 54 of the first 90 days (I have scrims scheduled for tonight, so I know I'll be in-game).

For the record, Sand King is mostly a support, though he can certainly snowball into a semi-carry, as you discovered.  And he is always a great initiator.

Huzzah! keeping your build flexible is very important, as nice as the Sand Storm Sand Box is sitting in one place really leaves you exposed and hoping to get a last hit VS actively last hitting with autoattacks.

Someone who is any good at denies will snake all of the creeps from the slow dot of SS.  You may even find needing Caustic over Sand Storm if you are laning against some aggressive melee folk - they'll back right quick when 3-4 creeps all pop at once (hit each creep once then go for the kill on the first/lowest)

for more mind blowing - turn that plate mail into a Shiva's Guard, blink in with epicenter going and activate the slow...no chance of escape.  OR! Veil of Discord is fairly popular, blink in again and cast the huge AOE veil for bonus magic.  

someone else already pointed out that sand king isnt the best carry...as some BKB's and a pipe will often stunt your kills.  but can certainly snowball and dominate team fights.  True Carries are often categorized when they have passive/active skills that scale well into the end game - good stat growth, critical strikes, vamp, etc. 

i wonder what kind of layout they'll utilize for a arena that size.  

$100 ticket general admin for 6 days at a bigger venue VS the $50 for 3 day pass, ive never been to Key Arena, but i imagine if they utilize typ. horse-shoe concert layouts theres a pretty good opportunity for good...and bad seats

also, end on a monday!? boo, now i'll have to explain to everyone what twitch is...and why it is on my second screen streaming all day - and none of the other work is getting done

I wonder if they'll go back to the TI1 layout they had in Free to Play: both teams in the middle facing each other with the crowd on all sides.

also, end on a monday!? boo, now i'll have to explain to everyone what twitch is...and why it is on my second screen streaming all day - and none of the other work is getting done

Haha! My company blocked all gaming related websites recently, so I'll have to sit at my desk staring at my phone. "Yea, really important business here, trust me." Just did that for the XMG Captain's Draft tourney. My data plan is not happy.

I wonder if they'll go back to the TI1 layout they had in Free to Play: both teams in the middle facing each other with the crowd on all sides.

I would hate to have to play in that setup. Seeing any sort of celebration would just infuriate me, especially with so much riding on those games.

But they weren't right in each other's faces. Seeing someone jump up and cheer just made me cringe for the other team.

When pros go on about "win a LAN before you X", it's being able to deal with that kind of thing that they're talking about.

They're big kids, they can handle it.

i wonder what kind of layout they'll utilize for a arena that size.  

$100 ticket general admin for 6 days at a bigger venue VS the $50 for 3 day pass, ive never been to Key Arena, but i imagine if they utilize typ. horse-shoe concert layouts theres a pretty good opportunity for good...and bad seats

Key Arena hosts concerts all the time, so I imagine they already have set layouts for things like this. It would be cool to see Valve arrange things differently though. Maybe both teams in the middle with their backs to each other, looking out at the crowd?

I'm sure they can, but it still seems unnecessary. Just my opinion. I, on the other hand, definitely wouldn't be able to handle it, and that's why it makes me cringe.

Key Arena hosts concerts all the time, so I imagine they already have set layouts for things like this. It would be cool to see Valve arrange things differently though. Maybe both teams in the middle with their backs to each other, looking out at the crowd?

ya i went on key arena's webby for some standard layouts, http://tinyurl.com/pgjvmml

The round layout would be great, especially if teams faced out to the crowd.  if it isnt sold out could easily rotate to the other side of the arena to watch dreamily at TC

OR rotating stage.  that'd be pretty neat

Omg, I couldn't help but crack up laughing watching that. I'd love to know what he was yelling about. But yea, booths are a good thing.

Agreed - the round layout looks like it'd be great.

I've been to the Key a couple of times for hockey games. It's really echoey and kinda old. It's going to be a big change from the symphony hall they were in before.

@taterdactyl and @casktapper: thanks! It's definitely got its hooks into me good at this point 

@undermind9: thanks for the build tips. This is really helpful. I'm still relatively clueless about build orders and items in general. It's an area in which I'm really trying to improve, but finding it hard going as all the knowledge seems to be quite specific to how items combine with each lord's particular spells and abilities. I've watched/read some overviews and have a sense of all of the items and know some of the most popular and generally useful ones. But I haven't found a good way to discover exactly these kinds of combos.

More specifically about your comment: I thought I'd seen some people (like Purge) start up epicenter on the fray of a team fight and then use blink dagger to teleport into the middle just as it really gets going. However, when I tried that, it seemed that blinking canceled the spell? Am I just mis-seeing that or does blinking cancel spells in some contexts? 

Epicenter has a channel time, so you have to let it finish before you blink.  You can shift-queue commands, so shift+blink after you start epicenter and it will wait until the channel is over.  You can chain that into a shift+burrow strike as well to complete the combo without them really being able to react.

exactly, the wasted .25 sec epicenter out of fight VS not getting it off makes him ideal to charge up & blink/burrow.

the blink queuing is the best way to do this, but takes some practice.  binding items to hotkeys/commands/mouse key or two is really great.  

in dota1 i kept 4 items on my mouse...but in HoN i relearned to use Alt+Q/W/E A/S/D (as in 2 rows of 3 items each)

but you'll see people streaming with their bindings all over the place, truly whatever makes most comfortable

So in this case its R -> SHIFT Click  Blink Dagger -> Click Blink point.  load up on some bots and give a try a few times (enable cheats & -referesh for quick skill refreshes)

and then drop veil, shiva, into sandbox, or burrow to get extra range on a straggler.  typically though youre going to die...its part of the initiation process.  you go in, create chaos and let the others swarm and pick off.  lots of assists though

Thanks, that bit about queueing commands is incredibly helpful! Would it also make sense to start epicenter, blink into the middle of a fight, and then queue up burrow strike to get back out to the periphery to increase your chances of survival while still doing a lot of damage?

@undermind9: Also, that's the second time you've mentioned the shiva's guard. Will you say a little more about the strategy for using that? Are you using it's freezing aura to trap targets before epicenter or arctic blast after you've gotten into the midst of things? How does it play in?

Sand King is basically a suicide bomber who doesn't have a lot to contribute to team fights beyond his (phenomenal) initiation. It's best to all in on bursty AOE items like Shiva's and Veil to soften up the enemy team. Survivability isn't a big concern.