Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Do any of you live in Iceland?

I don't know what to write here now because the thread title has it all. I guess I might add that I want to pick your brains. Also do any of you live where the Northern Lights make a regular appearance, that would work for me too - it doesn't have to be Iceland I guess.

Where I am currently (Trondheim, Norway) doesn't have a lot of aurora, but where I grew up there's a lot, and that's also where I'll be come Christmas.

Oooh, I really want to go there. Tell me more about it... It looks like a really sweet place.

I wanted to organise a trip there, potentially to see some Northern Lights action. Recommend me some stuffs plz and I will be eternally grateful :)

Tell me more about it... It looks like a really sweet place.

She's already thinking about the flavour of your brains! Stop while you can!

I'm sure if I bashed your head in, all sorts of secrets would come tumbling out...

*Sigh* That's not the way it works, Yufster... You have to tease it out, like a mole from a hole.

Sure thing!

Here's the stuff I recommended for Kolzig last year:

Right, then one of them is probably Polaria, the artic sea musem:

polaria.jpg

It's cool, they have seals and stuff. o/

There's also the "Artic Cathedral", if you like fancy buildings:

Ishavskatedralen2.jpg?size=350x234

Then again, you can see it from most parts of the city, maybe not necessary to look at it up close?

Another cool touristy thing is to check out the mountain lift, for a great view of the whole area:

fjellheis_i_midnattsol_1.JPG

For eats, you of course have to go to the restaurant where I used to work, Vertshuset Skarven! There's a pub in the first floor; if you want the traditional Norwegian fish meal, that's the third floor, but if you're more like me, you prefer the steak house in the second floor.~

And as I recall you like rock/metal (well, you're Finnish, so duh), then you should check out BlåRock, a pub not far from the brewery. They play great music, have the walls covered in rock memorabilia, and serve some great burgers. :tup:

Tourist companies arrange aurora hunting trips, but honestly, as long as you come in the right time period (between November and February/March), and pay attention, you'll probably see it somewhere. There's also stuff like reindeer sleighrides and whale safaris.

Another cool way to go is taking the Coastal Express (Hurtigruten). It travels up along the Norwegian coast from Bergen in the west to the very top, at Nordkapp. It's kinda pricy though, even if you only go for a city or two. But it's a great way to see Norwegian nature and potentially northern lights.

Any particular interests outside of Aurora?

Thanks dude! Yeah, I really like exploring places, so whether it's museums or pubs or odd little restaurants, it's all good with me. It looks like a pretty magical place - I love walking about and seeing amazing scenery. I really love the dramatic landscapes in Norway/Iceland/places like that. I get so used to soft green hills all over Ireland and the UK, so it's really mindblowing to see some of the landscapes you have over there.

Predictably, being Irish, I also love: beer. I love Germany for all of the amazing different beers it has. In the UK we have a lot of local ales wherever you go, which is great, but I get sad when I go back to Ireland and most places just have Carlsberg and Guinness.

Live music is also something I'd love to see.

Tromso sounds pretty winsome...

A travel tip for Norway – from someone who has never been to Norway – is to have enough money in your pocket at all times. From what I have understood, things can be quite expensive there compared to... well, most of the world.

You guys are secretly muggers, aren't you? "Carry lots of cash. LOTS of it. Walk through only the darkest alleys."

Yeah. My other advice is to only go outside on daytime. Which is from May to September or something.

Also. :tup:

I like the idea of months of darkness. The thought of never having to worry about the sun coming up on Monday morning at Glastonbury, that is awesome. I bet it would stave off hangovers etc until the summer months, or something. It feels like that's how it should work, anyway.

I'm sure if I bashed your head in, all sorts of secrets would come tumbling out...

Hot Fuzz! BING BING BING I WIN!

Hot Fuzz! BING BING BING I WIN!

That's it! That's where he's fucking from! Godsdamnit!

I was watching a movie the other day and the main male lead I knew I'd seen but I couldn't figure it out. He was the supermarket owner in Hot Fuzz.

I was watching a movie the other day and the main male lead I knew I'd seen but I couldn't figure it out. He was the supermarket owner in Hot Fuzz.

The Living Daylights! BING BING BING I WIN!