Lu 

EA™ and DICE™ present™ Battlefield™ 3

I've decided not to cancel my pre-order of this as I'm upgrading my computer in the next couple of weeks, so I'll be up for some BF3 PC in a few weeks. You know, once I can finally escape the clutches of Skyrim for a couple hours.

So you're willing to switch to a suboptimal gaming experience just to avoid EA Origin?

I actually said a suboptimal visual experience, which is the main hit I'd be taking from switching to console from PC. I have no particular, overwhelming affinity for PC gaming beyond that aspect, with exception to mods in RPGs and whatnot (which obviously doesn't apply here).

EA is intentionally inconveniencing me with Origin (and likely Battlelog), which is far more offensive to me than less than perfect visuals.

Yes, but you'd also have to use a gamepad, which is sub-optimal for FPS games compared to keyboard and mouse.

WEIRD.

I just read that the 360 version has a 167 mb launch-day patch.

Weird because Microsoft has pretty rigidly imposed 4-8 megabyte limits on what they will push through their patching system.

It's not the first time, I guess if such a high-profile release is going to be released pretty much fucked up they feel they have to make allowances. They don't want EA hating their asses by ruining their biggest launch of the year.

I don't really think keyboard/mouse is particularly better suited to FPS than a gamepad for everybody.

I don't really think keyboard/mouse is particularly better suited to FPS than a gamepad for everybody.

It is if your not a freak of nature. :)

It is if your not a freak of nature. :)

"you're"

Sorry, pet-peeve.

Also, platform elitism is lame, don't be on about that.

I think we're pretty much at the point where people have been using pads to play shooters for long enough that even with assists out of the equation, people would still be playing on surprisingly even ground.

I'm not saying there isn't an advantage in a mouse and a keyboard, i'm just saying there's probably less of one than people are willing to believe.

Besides, this is all moot, the wii-mote/nunchuk combo is clearly the ideal FPS controller. (It's because you point it at the screen! It's totally like holding a real gun!)

Besides, this is all moot, the wii-mote/nunchuk combo is clearly the ideal FPS controller. (It's because you point it at the screen! It's totally like holding a real gun!)

Kinect is obviously better, just ask Ubisoft.

So I hear that the BF3 console versions have a separate disk for the textures. I'll be platform elitist all I like, thanks. What I don't get is arguments between PS3 and XBox. They're both inferior. :grin:

So I hear that the BF3 console versions have a separate disk for the textures. I'll be platform elitist all I like, thanks. What I don't get is arguments between PS3 and XBox. They're both inferior. :grin:

Disk 1 is multiplayer and the texture pack, disk 2 is the singleplayer. Not hard to see where the priorities lie there.

I'm glad that this topic boils down to "PC is better than consoles, lulz".

I'm glad that this topic boils down to "PC is better than consoles, lulz".

To be fair, most of us are PC gamers :P

To be fair, most of us are PC gamers :P

Oh, I know that. I'm also a PC gamer. I just didn't know we had those PC gamers.

We are the master video game race! I actually don't have much against consoles, I just prefer the PC and have never been able to justify buying a console instead of things I actually need.

The fact of the matter is that PC's are empirically technologically superior machines, however the problem is when people take that fact and start trying to say that consoles are therefore bad.

Consoles satisfy a market that PC's do not, and therefore deserve to have their own place in gaming. As much as I may prefer PC gaming for a range of reasons, I hold nothing against consoles or the people who use them. I wish everybody else thought the same way, sadly, everything must be a contest.

Everything. Must. Be. A. Contest.

On topic: Holy shit, what a launch.

Edited by Thompson

I got my copy yesterday. Starting off with single-player since the MP servers seem to be hit-or-miss right now... it's not really impressed me so far, to be honest. I'm enjoying more of the mechanical parts of the game, like the report of the guns or how the weapons and sights are modeled. The plot itself seems very Call of Duty: Black Ops inspired, except with a little less crazy going on. That said, I still don't get a sense of excitement from the intrigue (minor as it is this early) that DICE is tossing at me. At least in Bad Company 2, I had the characters' banter to keep me moving along.

So far, the most I can say is that you should play this game with a good surround sound setup or solid set of headphones. Beyond the previously mentioned gun sounds, the soundtrack seems pretty solid thus far. If you're like me and appreciate that kinda stuff, make sure to take advantage as best you can.

I pretty much echo those sentiments. I don't think I'm too deep into the plot, but it does seem exactly like Black Ops without the Cold War lunacy. On the up swing, you do get to play as other characters occasionally, which I'm not sure is true of Black Ops, though it has been the case in other recent Call of Duty games. The vehicle sections are also pretty solid, because it's Battlefield and they do vehicles anyway.

I also agree with the sound recommendation - the audio is the most stand out feature of the game so far. I play with the volume higher than usual because it's so good. If you don't have surround sound, I recommend using headphones - and there's even an option in the audio menu that will simulate surround headphones if you don't have them. I think it would also simulate surround sound to an extent if you used it in conjunction with stereo speakers, but I would imagine it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Oh, I know that. I'm also a PC gamer. I just didn't know we had those PC gamers.

I'm not really one of those, but it's amusing to rile up the console peasants. :mock:

I'd own an XBox if there was really anything I had to play on it. I own the PS3 because of Demon's Souls. It's really just a matter of time, at this point, since games are piling up on the XBox side of things that are quite interesting.

Well, I got to the "Night Shift" chapter and decided to call it a night. I just attempted to play the game this morning, and all my campaign data is gone for some reason.

Fuck this game.

While I'm not going to get into the platform superiority debate, just thought I'd throw in that I pre-ordered the PC version and it arrived today — on two DVDs just like the 360 version. Looks like the PS3 is the only one that comes entirely on a single (40GB) disc.

Still not finished with the Campaign but I'm calling it - easily one of the worst campaigns I've played all year. The over-reliance on scripting is completely horrible because if you think the order or speed at which a setpiece moment should take place is wrong, you're basically fucked.

You're extracting a guy into a helicopter and taking fire from several positions. You're taking a lot of damage since you're out in the open making a bumrush at the heli. Once you reach the ramp, you hit an invisible wall and in five more seconds you hear a guy in your squad shout, "Hold them off a little longer!" You can't hold them off from inside the helicopter and there is no nearby cover, so you die.

What the game wants you to do is stay in cover from the very beginning, waiting for the moment when the objective shifts from "defend" to "escape". Instead of doing what would make sense in the given situation, you have to do exactly what the developers intended (in an almost Mega Man trial-and-error fashion). And this is just one moment in a series of similar encounters that range from changing your position dramatically during a moment of fixed view on a "cinematic" event to allowing you to pump hundreds of rounds into enemy troops that are designed to overwhelm your position and kill you.

If you mostly have interest in the multiplayer, just skip the single-player. It's almost a complete waste of time, save for a shining moments covered by a pile of shit.