Wrestlevania

Hawken, or: Fuck Me, Mech Games Are BACK!

Unless i missed it, i don't think they talk about what will be paid at any point.

No, yeah, dude says they aren't talking about it.

Yes I heard that. Although they did say it won't be pay to win. But given the mechmodability it will probably be mostly cosmetic and maybe weapons and upgrade.

wasn't really interested in multiplayer-only, but single player appears to be a possibility (or maybe in a sequel) now:

http://www.rockpaper...-single-player/

That is way, way, way more exciting to me than a multiplayer-only game.

Played a bit of Hawken Alpha 2 today. It only has an alpha map, so I couldn't enjoy the awesome LD you see in various movies. Anyway, the movement of the mech is great, it really feels heavy (this would be awesome with a VR helmet). The gameplay, well.. it's the usual deathmatch and domination. But I do fear that this F2P game will be pay-to-win. You have to spend points to get better equipment, and I'm pretty sure they will sell points for real money.

I'm in the Alpha 2 too! There are a few more polished maps in there that look really nice, with intricate detailing. Stomping through city streets, knocking over lampposts. The combat has this longer pace to it, which is something I didn't know I missed until playing this game. The timescale of the fights kind of remind me of the DOTA type games, where you're kind of looking for a moment of weakness or opportunity until you pounce with you buddies. A snappier, action version of that. Defending a capture point, taking a bit of a beating, boosting behind a wall just as a friendly drops in guns blazing, starting up repairs on your own mech while he distracts the enemy and gives cover. Awesome.

Any more Thumbs in the Alpha 2?

The Alpha 2.

The Alpha 2.

The Alpha 2.

The Alpha 2.

The Alpha 2.

The Alpha 2.

ThELAepna

What makes you say that? I've been having a blast, quite along the lines piratepoo has spelled out. The pacing feels really unique.

Hawken has added a new mode that kind of reminds me of a lord's management game. Each team has bases and must collect enough energy to launch battleships against the other base. You then battle over control of an AA turret at the center of the map to try and keep your battleship alive long enough to do damage to the enemy's base. The thought first occurred to me as the matches take a loooong time to beat. Lots of back and forth of attacking and defending as your respective battleships bite the dust.

Hey cool, I'm glad I was notified that I was in the beta for this. Timely that I just happen to notice this the day before it goes down apparently.

Just so we're clear, Hawken isn't a mech game. It's Quake that happens to take place in rather sizeable robots.

Rather sizeable robots added to pretty much anything makes whatever it is better. Now excuse me while I add some rather sizeable robots to politics.

robo-nixon.png

I think that's an unfair characterization Orv. You have limited fuel, you overheat, you can repair yourself... it has plenty that makes it a 'mech' game. Is it Mech Warrior? No. But it doesn't feel like I'm a human being running around with robot stuff skinned over the screen.

Ha! I also just noticed PiratePoo comparing it to DOTA a few posts before I did. (and that was even before the mothership base mode)

More specifically it's not a Big Stompy Robot game. It's very much a fast FPS with mech trappings, which I think makes it disingenuous to call it a mech game.

Yeah, all the videos look weird to me. Nothing moves like it has mass and I don't really get any sense of scale.

Yeah, all the videos look weird to me. Nothing moves like it has mass and I don't really get any sense of scale.

I've only played a little, but it does take a few seconds to really get up to speed when running anywhere, I feel some bulk but once you start using dodge it does get pretty fast.

I think it's kind of fruitless to have an argument over definitions. If you don't enjoy the game feel and the gameplay then that's fine. I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that it's an FPS that they put a mech skin on. You cannot just run and gun around like you would in an fps. Every move must be considered due to fuel and overheating costs. And when you're not dashing, which is to say: most of the time, your movement is slow and you are very exposed. It takes a dramatic relearning of strategy and routine to actually be good at this game. And it's strategy and routine that I haven't ever come across before, which is why I find it exciting.

Nothing moves like it has mass

You should probably play it, because that is not my experience at all.

I think it's kind of fruitless to have an argument over definitions. If you don't enjoy the game feel and the gameplay then that's fine. I'm just disagreeing with the assertion that it's an FPS that they put a mech skin on. You cannot just run and gun around like you would in an fps. Every move must be considered due to fuel and overheating costs. And when you're not dashing, which is to say: most of the time, your movement is slow and you are very exposed. It takes a dramatic relearning of strategy and routine to actually be good at this game. And it's strategy and routine that I haven't ever come across before, which is why I find it exciting.

I agree and I agree. I had typed a long thing before, but you summed it up nicely.