Wrestlevania

Hawken, or: Fuck Me, Mech Games Are BACK!

I find nothing intrinsically wrong with the F2P model, but I recently got into the SMNC beta and was super disappointed to find they're doing it the Wrong Way. Hopefully Hawken does it the right way.

(The right way, of course, being no actual GAME content locked behind arbitrary grind/money walls, and only selling cosmetic stuff in the store. If I like a game enough, I'm more than willing to purchase cosmetic items. But I will never, ever purchase gameplay item. Every time I say that, it strikes me as a really odd thing to say. Why would I defend [subjectively] worthless cosmetic item microtransactions, and shit all over gameplay-related microtransactions?

...And yet I still am 100% serious about it. I think it's a really shitty practice to encourage people to buy stuff just so they can Get It Sooner.)

That was a long parenthetical. It's not even really a parenthetical anymore, now that I've finished. Oh well.

I could spiel about how I think people that say "freemium? not playing" are idiots, but I'll say this instead. I think dismissing a game because of a content-purchase model is foolish. The biggest F2P game right now is League of Legends, which has fostered the model for a number of other Dota-like genre games. It's successful as hell, not because it sells power (it doesn't, people who say it does are idiots) but because it's a fun game that you can play for free without ever spending more than time. Do you want to support the developers? Spend some money on their game. (Incidentally, people who say "Why would I ever pay for a F2P game?" are assholes

not that I think any of you say that

) But it's foolish to dismiss something simply because of a pricing model.

I feel like your counterpoint is an argument formulated around having expected different and more polarized responses.

Speaking personally, I just don't want to play games where players are conferred advantageous positions based on how much they were willing to pay into it. I don't think that's an unreasonable position at all.

What I'm saying is, we have no information either way whether it's going to be pay-to-win (urgh) or not. At all. And you went "freemium? oh, guess I don't care then". Everything else is just me being annoyed at people.

I actually hate League of Legends because it does exactly what I do not ever like to see in F2P games. It locks actual GAME content behind some arbitrary wall. Sure, you can get it for free if you're willing to grind up enough magic in-game money-points, but the only reason that wall exists is to encourage people who want the content faster to spend money instead of waiting.

And yeah I know it's all BUSINESS, but I don't care about business, damnit! I want to play your fucking game. If I like it, I will pay for the extraneous bullshit all on my own! Which I actually did, with League of Legends, all the while being miserable because I couldn't play well over half the champions when I wanted to.

All that said, LoL is not a pay-to-win game (except where runes are concerned, as they actually can be a legitimate game-changer if one person has all the best runes and the opponent has all the worst, and they're of equal skill - but it's very rare for that kind of thing to actually happen). It would offend me a hell of a lot more if, I don't know, I had to grind to unlock an item from the store OR I could buy it for real money to unlock it. Like if, say, the basic level one boots weren't available in the (in-in-game) store until you unlocked them at the meta level... Of course, if that sort of thing existed in LoL, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is!

I do hate the way TF2 does their unlocks, but at least if I really want something, it's only a trade/craft away, and rarely takes more than a couple days to acquire, as opposed to the weeks it can take to unlock champions in LoL.

I really, really hope Valve doesn't lock heroes behind some arbitrary wall. I... would like to say I wouldn't play the game if that happened. But I love it too much to guarantee as much. I don't think it will happen, though.

All that said, LoL is not a pay-to-win game (except where runes are concerned, as they actually can be a legitimate game-changer if one person has all the best runes and the opponent has all the worst, and they're of equal skill - but it's very rare for that kind of thing to actually happen).

Runes are in no way available for actual money. Anyway, it's an incredibly good business strategy, and it works well, so it's not the "wrong" way, but I get where you're coming from. It just doesn't bother me, I guess.

Oh! My mistake. I could've sworn. I haven't played the game for a long while.

You can buy IP boosts or whatever they're called to get more IP per game to get runes faster. I know that for sure. Although I actually have no issue with this particular pay-to-win mechanic, which is kind of weird, I guess?

As long as the core experience is consistent and fair, there's no issue. If everyone can get to a decently high level at the same speed, then fair enough. If you're that invested in the game by that point, then pay to go higher or don't pay and stay around the middle of the game.

It's when the developers deliberately and massively retard your progress unless you cough up that pisses me off. [see the abysmal APB Reloaded system]

I don't like freemium, probably because I have some misconceptions. What I've seen so far with free to play games is that getting progress must be bought with either money, or a lot of time (by grinding).

I'm just not really interested in playing a freemium game, with the connotations that often carries.

I'm not one of those people who is irrationally dismissive of the idea, but i'm going to put the impetus on them to show me a model that doesn't sacrifice fair and balanced game design.

MWO has made big promises of a model that takes balance seriously, so i'm still interested in that.

A level playing field is important to me, is all.

The good news is that Hawken is free-to-play and not pay-to-win. We want a level playing field too. Nobody likes a hawk in a chicken house.

The good news is that Hawken is free-to-play and not pay-to-win. We want a level playing field too. Nobody likes a hawk in a chicken house.

Hawken: Chicken House DLC/Expansion confirmed?

Hey, cool. Welcome to the forums. You will now be pumped for information.

Where's Rodi when you need him.

Let the information pumping commence!

So what is Hawken going to offer in the way of build customization?

New trailer's out, showing more gameplay and how their HUD design is evolving:

XFbTYybOHtM

Looks like it's really planting itself firmly in the faster, more gladiatorial side of mech games.

It really looks great though, and like there's a good degree of depth.

Man, I don't even know if my PC will be able to run this, i have such a hobbled old machine.

http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2012-hawken-demo/17-6216/

This gives an excellent look at the mech lab, which is of interest to me.

So... Skill trees and cosmetic build parts.

Though that's selling it short, but still...

Also this - http://www.destructoid.com/e3-hawken-is-getting-its-own-ridiculous-controller-too-229070.phtml

And not content to let Hawken have all the fun, this too - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/09/check-out-razers-mechwarrior-online-artemis-prototype-and-oth/

If Steel Battalion isn't going to do it, somebody has to, i guess?

Heh.

So... the non-F2P will be cosmetics and additional weapons and upgrades?

edit: damn the looks smooth

So... the non-F2P will be cosmetics and additional weapons and upgrades?

Unless i missed it, i don't think they talk about what will be paid at any point.

No, yeah, dude says they aren't talking about it.