Tanukitsune

Recently QUITED games

Since we have a thread to talk about game we've beaten, how about games that have beaten us? Or bored us to death?

For the same reason we have the beaten games thread, this is for when it's doesn't feel right to simply start or resurrect a thread...

I kinda got carried away and bought a bunch of old RPGs at the GOG sale last year, but when I finally got to them... I disliked most of them.. I specially can't into any of the DOS cRPGs.

It felt strange that I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights so much but I was utterly unable to play any of the older games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale... How am supposed to play as a wizard and live if I don't even have a familiar?:erm:

Another games I just quit a few moments ago was "The Ball"... It's rather strange, it's an original concept but it felt unoriginal to me... It's about a man who falls into a Mayan temple and finds a magic gun that can push and attract a ball, but it felt like a generic physics puzzle... all you do is get the ball to red switches and you to blue ones.

After barely beating the first chapter (because it was so boring), I get the next level, which is the same but with water now... The game started to hint there would monsters that could kill me, but... I actually fell asleep out of sheer boredom...

I just had no reason to continue, sure there was a story, but it was too obvious to make me continue and I didn't feel clever for solving such simple puzzles nor threatened by the traps that were starting to appear.. :(

Edited by Tanukitsune

I don't think Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale aged very well. They were amazing back in 1998 or whatever, but I can't imagine myself playing through them again (Torment and BG2 raised the bar so much higher).

BG2, though, defeated me thoroughly. I spent at least 100 hours on the thing over the past 10 years, but I'm still on chapter 3 in 7-chapter story. And that's not counting the expansion.

Dead Rising. I got to the clown before the unreadable text resulting from playing on an old TV annoyed me into quitting.

I tried it again with a HDTV, but got to the mission with the obnoxious photographer, tried it, got frustrated, killed him, then noodled around a bit before getting bored. I want to like it, and it's a game I'd held onto to try again, but I did quite a bit of side stuff and arsing around on the original attempt. Now playing through the first parts again really switches me off.

Another games I just quit a few moments ago was "The Ball"... It's rather strange, it's an original concept but it felt unoriginal to me... It's about a man who falls into a Mayan temple and finds a magic gun that can push and attract a ball, but it felt like a generic physics puzzle... all you do is get the ball to red switches and you to blue ones.

I started playing that a few months ago and took a break. I actually got to the part where enemies come at you and fought them off, but that didn't make me want to play it anymore. It might be the pacing. Portal broke the puzzles into nice chunks and had rewarding monologue for each one. The Ball has huge levels that are a little bit too large for the puzzles they contain for the sake of atmosphere. I'll probably finish it, but I don't know when.

I'll usually play one game at a time, but sometimes I'll get distracted and switch gears. Other games I'm on break from include:

PS2: Odin Sphere, Viewtiful Joe 2, Druaga and The Warriors,

PC: Super Meat Boy (not yet 100%), Fallout New Vegas, DoWII: Chaos Rising and Torchlight .

Wii: Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Sonic Colors (still need to 100%).

For me the biggest one I can think of is Dragon Age: Origins. First off, I just want to say that not finishing it is entirely my fault, the game itself is amazing. Also it's been a while so I may be misremembering some parts.

I bought it at launch, got through the intro section and did the chantry level (or was it the wizard tower?) first. That level has an amazing set piece section where the combat changes in a nice way. Then it went back to huge group battles that are kinda stacked against you and I lost steam. There was some worry that maybe I had incorrectly specced my dudes, and my love of the companionship stuff meant I always had my dog there to find gifts. I also had Morganna (Morg-something) who didn't have any heal spells, but if I brought the other wizard I didn't have enough tank with just the dog in the party. It was clearly the wrong way to play, but didn't want to change.

The particular spot where I stopped was a point where you're supposed to be ambushed. The enemies are apparent and surround the triggering NPC. Knowing it was an ambush, I sent a dude to deal with the wizard and got nice positions before talking to the obvious trap starting NPC. A cutscene runs and then your party is repositioned altogether in front of the NPC. It really seemed unnecessary, especially in a game that is all about positioning and taking out key threats early.

I felt really bad about stopping, because I long for difficult games, and this was one that delivered. I just felt all the story content was at odds with the gameplay in a weird way. You just have to play that game mechanically, even if that means using characters you don't have a ton of affinity for. Or I'm just terrible at it.

I'll definitely go back to it, but I'll either have to shamefully play it the way I'd like to on easy, or struggle through it on normal.

I recently stopped playing F.E.A.R 2. After the amazing demo, I expected the game to explode my head in a similar fashion. It didn't. Turns out the demo is basically all the cool parts of the game spliced together. It makes for a cool demo, but a underwhelming buy. :hah:

I have to confess to not having given Dragon Age the love it needs, also - I put in about 30 hours, and hit a wall due to some poor choices (trying to be a good guy when my one source of secure income was robbing people, primarily). But I do want to go back, maybe to the start, because so much about that game is right. And I love the genre-savvy Grey Warden.

What I'd like to quit right now is Minecraft. It's eating into my other-game time quite badly, and I'm not creating a player piano or a voxel replica of the Sagrada familiar - I'm just methodically hollowing out a mountain to build a vast underground lair with a glass ceiling, in order to grow wheat in the centre of the Earth. This is exactly why I had to be stern with myself about Dwarf Fortress.

I also quit F.E.A.R. 2 after a few levels and just watch a video of the cool parts online instead... XP

QUITED QUITTED

I loved baldur's gate 2 back in the day, but I never finished it. A little while ago I decided to give it another go - but then I had the idea of starting from the first BG.

I didn't get very far. I agree it has aged pretty badly. I've been collecting fan-mods for it though which should make it prettier and more playable. I'm just a bit worried about losing too much time to it at the moment, when I'm so busy.

Similar thing happened to me with the first Fallout, to my shame.

Other things...

I've never managed to finish GTA IV, despite enjoying it. I always get stuck on the bank heist.

QUITED QUITTED

I loved baldur's gate 2 back in the day, but I never finished it. A little while ago I decided to give it another go - but then I had the idea of starting from the first BG.

I didn't get very far. I agree it has aged pretty badly. I've been collecting fan-mods for it though which should make it prettier and more playable. I'm just a bit worried about losing too much time to it at the moment, when I'm so busy.

Similar thing happened to me with the first Fallout, to my shame.

Other things...

I've never managed to finish GTA IV, despite enjoying it. I always get stuck on the bank heist.

Damn! I knew I typed it right! That's what I get for trusting spell checking blindly!

How much can a mod change a game? Specially and older one?:erm:

I recently started playing The Ball, I know a bunch of the people who made it. I don't care about the fighting in it, I wish it was just clever puzzle solving. Maybe I should have agreed to work on it ... ah well ...

Anyway.... quittttted games. I don't think there are many games I actually stopped playing. There are some games I still intend to finish. And there are some games that are not really finish material (e.g. there is no real end; just no more unsolved puzzles, tracks, challenges, ...). I usually try to finish games no matter how terrible they are. For example, I did finish Dreamfall.

But games I actually stopped playing altogether and don't intend to ever finish:

- GROM: Terror in Tibet

That game was terrible. I don't know why I even bought it. It's a bit like Commando's but with everything good about it removed.

- Chronomaster

Not a great game... and I got stuck pretty bad at some point.

- Command & Conquer: Renegade

On the navel ship I killed the captain before I was supposed to do so. And I only discovered that after an hour or so. I didn't have any save from before triggering that game breaking bug, and didn't feel like replaying it all. So I stopped.

- Evil Genius & Dungeon Keeper

Yes, really. I love both games, specially Evil Genius. But for some reason I can never put myself toward completing those games. I usually manage to get halfway through the game. Maybe it's because I'm actually more interested in base building. And base building sort of becomes tedious in those games after a while.

- Omikron

It's the usual Quantic Dream curse. Or at least, Fahrenheit had the same problem. The game starts very strong but becomes absolute shit after a certain point. And in Omikron that part is quite early in the game, and I gave up.

Of course that stuff is all quite in the past. The most recent game I gave up on is,.... I think Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. I'm not sure if I'm going to quit it, or maybe going to give it another try. If this game was on the PC I would probably have completed it. But the controls are really annoying. I hate playing FPS/TPS games with a gamepad.

How much can a mod change a game? Specially and older one?:erm:

Well, mainly updating the resolution into something bearable, which I find makes a lot of difference.

The rest is mostly UI tweaks; adding organisation, drag and drop and all the other little things that we take for granted these days. And better control over font sizes, UI layout etc.

BG Tutu essentially lets you play BG on the BG II engine, including updated D&D rules, classes etc.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to quit Torchlight... I've already put like 50 hours into it and I'm still not done. It takes a lot to keep me into a game much longer than that.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to quit Torchlight... I've already put like 50 hours into it and I'm still not done. It takes a lot to keep me into a game much longer than that.

What on Earth are you doing? I beat that game in a weekend? Are you being a completionist or something?:eek:

Two examples spring to mind.

The first one is Fallout 3, which I recently quit because I didn't care enough about it.

The second one is way more painful: Outcast. I played it twice all the way to same point, the forests of Okaar (this is quite far into the game). The game would always present me that game-breaking bug there where it became impossible to proceed because some object wouldn't spawn, or I forget what it was. I never bothered to simply download the save-game that was available to bypass it. So I never finished Outcast. Damn. I should probably do it one it.

What on Earth are you doing? I beat that game in a weekend? Are you being a completionist or something?:eek:

I got stuck on a level with "Dark Avatars", which apparently do like 2000 armor-ignoring damage. I ground levels as much as possible but still couldn't face them, so I installed some balancing mods but it still put me back ten hours or so.

I just recently quit playing marvel vs capcom 3 after a few days. I'm an avid Street fighter player, but this one is just so flashy and fast that I can't seem to get into it. I always feel like I'm being cheated because it's so hard to tell what's going on. The character selection and variety is nice, but that's as much as I can say really, and it's even lacking features SF4 had...

As a spectator to some Marvel vs Capcom battles, I can safely say it gives me headaches with all the stuff going on in the screen. Honestly, what the hell is going on there?

If you like torchlight that much man, spend 5 or 10 bucks and pick up Titan Quest as well. It's a really great overlooked dungeon crawler. Not as interesting aesthetically as Diablo 2 or torchlight, but the mechanics and loot are top notch.

Stalker-Waaay too much walking about.

GTA 4-a bit samey for me.

Alpha Protocol-bought in the Steam sale, played ten minutes which was enough to see it was utter pants.

Sub Command-it takes five hours to get to another piece of blue, before you either die, or miss the mission entirely. Jane's Fleet Command on the other hand, I have played to death (yes, thanks, that's my anorak)

Just Cause 2-There's only so much of the same thing a guy can take.

There are others. I am fussy. I complete the majority of games. I have a few games I play again and again and again. Company of Heroes is one such game. Man, I wish they would release a Vietnam based version, or a modern arena. I love that game- 'now is not the time to smoke a ciga-fucking-rette Johnson'.

Does anybody else like Company of Heroes?

I also stopped playing GTA IV shortly after Playboy X. I had bought it during a steam sale at least a year after release, and it never performed like it should on my machine. I really liked the story stuff but didn't actually want to do any of the stuff in between. Checking steam I did put a solid 44 hours into it, and enjoyed a lot of that time, but that was me trying to mainline the story as much as possible. Partly the fault of a shitty pc port, but the action wasn't great either.

Weirdly enough I only put in 40 hours into Just Cause 2, and that was dicking around in the open world for about 20 hours, before rushing through the 'story' missions, just so I could mess around for another 15. I've been thinking about getting back into it at some point, whereas you couldn't pay me to play more GTA IV.

@ Baldur's Gate discussion;

As Dan mentioned, if you have BG and BG2 installed, you can basically cause BG to run on the BG2 engine. There's also a pretty damn recommended Widescreen Mod.

I'm at some ridiculous number of playthroughs of Baldur's Gate 2 in my life (I stopped counting at 60 something) and I think I've just about had my fill. But I mean, that's after, just guessing here, 1,500+ hours.

As for games I've just said "Fuck you, goodbye" to. . .

I think basically every platforming game I've ever played.

I'd like to expand that to "Fuck all Final Fantasies."

* Ducks under a table*

That reminded me about playing Final Fantasy 7 a few years back for the first time ever. Obviously the game had been hyped a lot, so I expected kind of a big deal. Imagine my surprise.

I even gave it a fair shot, I put a good 30-40 hours into it. Then I simply noticed I hadn't been enjoying the game for the past 20-odd hours, shrugged my shoulders and left. Since then I've been proclaiming rather publically that the JRPG genre is fucking boring, stunted and nonsensical.