Ben X

AWESOME time-killing sites with huge archives of gold

I've run out of distractions and procrastinations. Anyone know any more sites like these (all of which I recommend)?

avclub.com

ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com (went a bit shit when new writers came in)

cracked.com

lamebook.com

passiveaggressivenotes.com

suicidegirls.com/interviews

TvTropes is equally "dangerous"...:tup:

I suppose I'm the only person here who actually likes watching Let's Plays and Longplays... I've already tried to pimp them before...

Google for "Fuckyeah(insertnamehere)" and you're are like to find a Tumblr blog with memes based on that theme...

I assume we all know of Cute Overload, the Cheezeburger Network and Failblog?:erm:

The SCP Foundation - you can very easily get lost in it, especially if you start delving into the 'meta' fiction. It is also, for my money, one of the scariest fiction sites on the internet.

I suppose I'm the only person here who actually likes watching Let's Plays and Longplays... I've already tried to pimp them before...

:

Since joining SA I've wasted so much time reading and watching LPs that I could probably legally be considered hazardous to my own health. Ah, the dangers of owning a laptop with good wifi.

There's a ton of early Ricky Gervais Shows that were on Xfm available for free here. It's an easy way to pass the time.

http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Download:Xfm

Also, I try to catch most This American Lifes. I wish most of the hosts didn't talk with some kind of speech impediment with a lisp or like they have way too much saliva in their mouth, but I guess that somehow makes independent radio authentic? I don't know, they should have better voices for radio, but at least one out of the three stories on the shows is always good, but most of the time, all three are very compelling listens.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives

This is some weird local computer show I used to love catching in Houston when I lived there. Just technology news type stuff plus it's a call in show about computer problems the last hour. I doubt this sounds very interesting, but once you get into the dynamic of this group of people, it's also endlessly hilarious:

www.geekradio.com

http://iwdrm.tumblr.com

Really awesome beautiful idea.

I love this one. :tup:

tumblr_lgcpzsgGRN1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

“Well, it’s an interesting combination of elements, making him a tough little son-of-a-bitch.”

And this one!

tumblr_ldvvy3QLJP1qe0eclo1_r7_500.gif

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. … Time to die.”

edit: I added the quotes he/she/they put under it because as I was reading the site, I thought it added something to it.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

Since joining SA I've wasted so much time reading and watching LPs that I could probably legally be considered hazardous to my own health. Ah, the dangers of owning a laptop with good wifi.

What does SA stand for?

I thought so, but I wasn't sure.

Something Awful do Let's Plays? What do they do? Play bad NES games while swearing at them?

passiveaggressivenotes.com

Also I just went to this one! I love these! When I worked at Kinko's years ago, one of the girls I worked with would routinely leave horribly spelled notes taped three times over to various machines and desks in hopes anyone would care about her weird concerns.

Also my manager tended to communicate with me directly over certain rules or problems by posting similar notes address "to all employees" in the break room or safe room where I did the money count in the morning.

Come to think of it, I think everyone at that job eventually just started leaving passive aggressive notes glued/taped to anything everywhere to the point where it all started addressing customers at every point at the outside of the employee area (which corporate later forced them to take down). What a nuthouse that job was. Maybe Kinko's is fine to work at in most location, because it's a really simple job in all actuality, but the bastards I was stuck with seemed needlessly over the top.

Anyway, the thought process on this one is genuinely amazing to me:

4443887659_e28d6b7771_b.jpg

Too bad no one wrote like that at Kinko's.

I thought so, but I wasn't sure.

Something Awful do Let's Plays? What do they do? Play bad NES games while swearing at them?

The Somethig Awful games forum is very different from re Something Awful homepage! A good Let's Play is usually either a well annotated or well commentated (depending on the style) long-form playthrough of a complete game. I think they started with forgotten classics and games too old for younger members to have played, but at this point its basically anything, good or bad, forgotten or not. There are some snarky/goofy ones but most are normal/lighthearted with the sass.

The Somethig Awful games forum is very different from re Something Awful homepage! A good Let's Play is usually either a well annotated or well commentated (depending on the style) long-form playthrough of a complete game. I think they started with forgotten classics and games too old for younger members to have played, but at this point its basically anything, good or bad, forgotten or not. There are some snarky/goofy ones but most are normal/lighthearted with the sass.

Really? Is there anyway I can access them without paying for an account?

Or, from A Selection Of The Same People, how about The Weekly? http://theweekly.co.uk/

Holy crap, I didn't know two AP writers were also responsible for the Adventures of Sexton Blake radio show. Wow, good on them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/buyersguide/1078

(Never heard it, heard anything about it, and apparently it's over now... but still!)

Holy crap, I didn't know two AP writers were also responsible for the Adventures of Sexton Blake radio show. Wow, good on them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/buyersguide/1078

(Never heard it, heard anything about it, and apparently it's over now... but still!)

If you're interested, I recommend you go for the CD versions of the episodes - they were cut down a lot for broadcast.

But I should stop plugging JN's stuff and stick to the topic: I use /v/ as a timekill. Because I'm a fool.

Are you a follower of Mr Nash, then? If so, what's he up to these days?

Heh, I suppose you could call me a... chum?

He's currently working on Podgamer, as well as Or Something and some other things that probably don't actually exist.

I quite liked Sexton Blake. But! It was a lot of content shoved into very little time and, I think, suffered from that: there's a lack of setup and background because of the episode compression in the broadcast eps.

Edited by subbes
I really need an editor

Heh, I suppose you could call me a... chum?

Subbes and J Nash sitting in a tree...