JonCole

Sony NGP (PSP 2)

So, I'm sure everyone has heard by now, but Sony finally announced what they're calling the Next Generation Portable (Joystiq's coverage here). The hardware itself is pretty amazing, with a high-resolution OLED touchscreen, dual analog sticks, 3G support in certain models, GPS, and a load of other stuff:

"Next Generation Portable Entertainment System" Hardware Specs

CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)

GPU: SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

Touchscreen: Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touchpad: Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras: Front camera; rear camera

Sound: Built-in stereo speakers; built-in microphone

Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer); three-axis electronic compass

Keys/Switches: PS button; power button; directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left); action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square); shoulder buttons (Right/Left); right and left sticks; Start button; Select button; volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G); IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode); Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Beyond that, the games in development look pretty damn promising, pivoting key third-party exclusive franchises as well as stuff like Call of Duty into a strong lineup:

PlayStation Blog confirms the complete list of game franchises noted at PlayStation Meeting 2011 with NGP iterations in development:

* Call of Duty

* Broken

* Gravity Daze

* Hot Shots Golf

* Hustle Kings

* Killzone

* LittleBigPlanet

* Little Deviants

* Reality Fighters

* Resistance

* Smart As

* Uncharted

* WipEout

To wrap up, I'm definitely into this product. It seems to be taking many of the improvements that you might expect from a "next generation portable", combining those with the innovations poured into mobile devices, and supporting all of these things with strong software. Knock on wood, but it looks like 2011 might actually be the... *sigh*... year of Sony.

Any thoughts?

Well, I'm definitely more interested in the 3DS before this, but it does look cool. I expect I will end up purchasing one sometime in the latter half of 2012. From the games listed though, it does seem like people are making the same mistake that irks me with the PSP. That is, designing games that would be best played from the couch and then putting them on a portable. Much as I do love my PSP and the games on it, they (with a few exceptions) very rarely feel like they were designed with a portable in mind. When I play my DS, I get a short blast of fun that I can just clap closed at any time that life calls. Say, for example, I've hit my bus stop and need to get off. I find it much easier to do so with my DS than with my PSP. Lately I've been going back and forth from Final Fantasy IV on my DS and Persona 3 Portable on my PSP, and even with both being huge JRPGs, the DS seems far more designed to be a portable experience. At any point on the DS, I can do a quicksave which will let me power off the system and then resume my game exactly from that point when I turn it back on. My PSP on the other hand is currently in sleep mode because I'm in the middle of a run through levels 25-36 of the tower and happened to need to stop playing around level 31. No way to save and resume the game except at very specific points in that one.

This seems to be the general design philosophy difference in the two. Even with something like Zelda, where you don't want to save and quit in the middle of a dungeon, the puzzles are compartmentalized into what seems like individual rooms. Contrast that with something like God of War (either PSP one) and there is no real clear division in things. I know a lot of gamers seem to prefer it if a game does not allow them to feel like there is a point where they can just set the game down and walk away, but I find that to be a strength of a portable, and one that Nintendo has and Sony seems to ignore. With a new Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, and Call Of Duty, I can't see them wanting to go for the short burst of gameplay model, but rather the "EPIC NEXT GEN EXPERIENCE" that those series seem to represent on PS3 and other. Not necessarily a weakness in general, but certainly the main factor in my lack of excitement compared to a new Nintendo portable. I'm sure the PSP2/NGP will have great games. I'm also sure I will prefer to play them on my couch rather than as an actual portable game.

There are many unknowns when it comes to pricing, about the console itself and the 3G plans available. Also, Sony will be the second to market in this new portable cycle, meaning that someone that buys a 3DS will only consider the NGP much further down the line.

It may have spectacular specs, but in a world where you can buy competent iPhone/Android games for a buck or for free, the 3DS and the NGP will have a hard time competing based on pricing alone.

The conference video does make it seem like a very sexy piece of tech, and as someone who never owned a PSP, the backwards compatibility on the digitally released games is a definite selling point. If the price is reasonable, after hearing some of the more negative impressions of the 3DS, I will definitely consider getting one.

At least the release titles are more interesting... I wonder if it will be even more expensive than the 3DS? I hope not... :blink:

The specs are certainly impressive and the amount of control options in one device will certainly open up new possibilities for game and software developers. However, I have never owned a portable gaming device, and now it's even more difficult than before to see how it could fit into my life: I guess I could play for a while in bed before I fall asleep or something but I already have a phone for that purpose. Also, to me the major attraction of games like Call of Duty, Uncharted and ehh.. Killzone is the pretty graphics and epic soundscapes, something which I'd rather experience in front of a huge LCD screen and in mids of speakers than in a crowded bus with someones elbow in my kidney.

At least the release titles are more interesting... I wonder if it will be even more expensive than the 3DS? I hope not... :blink:

Have the launch titles been specified yet? Also, with such hardware, I would be quite surprised if PSP2 wasn't more expensive than 3DS.

So, no more physical media? I like that.

I also like the OLED screen.

I can't imagine it being cheaper than 3DS, or PS3 even.

In response to Miffy and dpp, I think Sony's future approach is locked into that console-style, sit down on the couch experience. If it was my choice, I'd have done that too, considering the pick-up-and-play bite-sized games are probably going to be heavily favored towards the iPhone in a volume-focused price bracket.

Taking a look at the console space versus the handheld space, I feel like the most apt comparisons:

• Sony PS3 -> Sony NGP: Competing for high-end, hardcore users.
  • Nintendo Wii -> Apple iPhone: Low price of entry, family-oriented titles
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 -> Nintendo 3DS: Sub-optimal specs, but using an interesting software-based feature

In the case of the Xbox 360, Microsoft was able to take their forays into online with the original Xbox and make the social experience matter to consumers. In the case of the 3DS, Nintendo is banking heavily on 3D technology to entice consumers to their device, which I think is far more tenuous than Sony/Apple's high-end/low-end approaches.

So, no more physical media? I like that.

According to Sony they will used a small flash memory based card that sounds a lot like flash memory card.

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

I can't imagine myself spending 500$ on a portable console, even if it's as almost powerful as a PS3.... I could buy a new computer for less... :blink:

400 still sounds like too much, but maybe I could go for 350$?:erm:

According to Sony they will used a small flash memory based card that sounds a lot like flash memory card.

So it's like the original DS, but they may actually use the ability to save new things to the card?

It's like Sony didn't "get" why the PSP failed the first time around.

Look, this NGP thing looks very nice on paper. I totally agree. But like Miffy, having actually owned a PSP, I have a lot of reservations.

It's very powerful. But it'll come at the expensive of price, size, and battery life. The thing is huge! Portable devices are suppose to get *more* portable, not less.

Dual analog sticks. First off, they stick out of the device. Second, why bother? If your game needs two sticks to work, you're not designing a handheld game.

As for the rest of the inputs, I feel there's some good stuff in there. The Back Pad (or whatever they're calling it) sounds interesting. But between the dpad, face buttons, triggers, analog sticks, touch screen, back pad, gyro AND camera, I kinda get the feeling Sony shoved as much crap as they could into this device and hoped for the best. From a usability perspective, I'm not sure how they're going to communicate all the controls to the player.

The games look great, but like Miffy said, I don't want to play console games on a portable. It made zero sense back with the PSP, I'm not sure why they think it's going to work now.

Finally, the UI is kinda ugly. I know this seems like a minor point, but I think it's really important. A fluid, polished, classy looking UI can make the device a lot more approachable, and more fun to use. Apple nails this shit, that's why people love their devices.

Cheers,

Mo

There are two very good reasons to have the 2 analog sticks: Call of Duty and Monster Hunter.

It's not like they're using every control feature at the same time. It's just nice to know that it's there. Not sure why it'd interfere with anything. I'm also pretty sure that there were a lot of PSP games that would've benefited greatly from the dual analog sticks, a lot of them being 3D and all.

Looks like nice hardware, but I have no use for it. Now that I think about it, the last hand held I owned was a Game Boy. Not really a handheld gamer, I guess.

It's like Sony didn't "get" why the PSP failed the first time around.

Maybe it doesn't make sense financially to create a device that appeals first and foremost to a hardcore niche, but since I'm not a shareholder and I'm a part of that niche I can't say Sony making the same mistake again worries me.

Dual analog sticks. First off, they stick out of the device. Second, why bother? If your game needs two sticks to work, you're not designing a handheld game.

You're complaining about the one thing people felt the original PSP was lacking? :grin:

There are plenty of ways to utilise the second stick beyond simply improving camera controls, Super Stardust HD twin-stick style shooters for example, and as for them protruding from the casing; I've often thought it would be better, not worse! The way it is now as a nub you can't 'lean' on it or use the outside/bottom of your thumb since it's a glorified, fiddly D-Pad, so if these new sticks are anything like the proper dualshocks I think it'll be a vast improvement personally.

I don't think I understand what people are talking about saying they want games to be "designed" for a handheld. What are you looking for exactly? No analog control? Only games designed with simple 2d sprite art that can be controlled with a dpad and four face buttons? Is that all people want out of a handheld? Or do they want dumbed down experiences that can be played in 5-10 minute chunks? Ideal for commuting or something?

I find that more compartmentalized games are more compelling on the go because you can set how much you can play before you have to stop and not be frustrated to stop in the middle of something. Some games that come to mind and were extremely successful in my opinion: Picross 3D, Rhythm Heaven, FF:Crisis Core, Puzzle Quest and Lumines.

MEGA REPLY, GO!!

It's not like they're using every control feature at the same time. It's just nice to know that it's there. Not sure why it'd interfere with anything.

It makes the device less approachable. I feel the same way about analog stick buttons (L3, R3) ... I think they're an awful, awful idea, because they're useless as buttons and less experienced gamers don't even know they exist. But they exist, so developers use them. That's (one of the reasons) console controllers are so difficult to use.

I worry about the same thing on the NGP. However, if Sony can ease players into the controls with a hallmark game (similar to what Wii Sports did), or teach it implicitly through the UI, it'll be fine.

I'm also pretty sure that there were a lot of PSP games that would've benefited greatly from the dual analog sticks, a lot of them being 3D and all.

Centuries ago, 3D games existed on this ancient platform known as the N64. Back in those days, 3D games didn't need two analog sticks, they just needed camera programmers who slaved over their work. :P

Snideness aside (sorry about that), it's possible. It's hard work, but it's possible to make great 3D games without having to resort to a second analog stick. As an added bonus, your game will be much more accessible. Win-win!

Maybe it doesn't make sense financially to create a device that appeals first and foremost to a hardcore niche, but since I'm not a shareholder and I'm a part of that niche I can't say Sony making the same mistake again worries me.

Honest question here, do you own a PSP? I ask because I know it sounds like a good idea, but as I'm a part of the same niche and I play tonnes of handheld games, I can tell you that it's not a good idea.

Design-wise, it doesn't make sense to port PS3-esque games to the NGP. Just like it didn't make sense to port PS2-esque games to the PSP.

You're complaining about the one thing people felt the original PSP was lacking? :grin:

See above. Honestly, I think gamers don't know any better, and that game developers aren't trying hard enough.

There are plenty of ways to utilise the second stick beyond simply improving camera controls, Super Stardust HD twin-stick style shooters for example, and as for them protruding from the casing; I've often thought it would be better, not worse! The way it is now as a nub you can't 'lean' on it or use the outside/bottom of your thumb since it's a glorified, fiddly D-Pad, so if these new sticks are anything like the proper dualshocks I think it'll be a vast improvement personally.

The problem with them sticking out is that it makes the device even less portable. That said, I think we're well beyond the NGP being practical from a portability POV, so maybe it doesn't matter?

The nub wasn't a bad idea, btw. It sucked for three reason: (1) there wasn't enough give on it, as in, you couldn't push it far enough. (2) It was hard to grip. Notice how the 3DSes nub is concave... the PSP should have done that. (3) it was really badly positioned. Using the nub left no room for you thumb to rest.

I don't think I understand what people are talking about saying they want games to be "designed" for a handheld.

Explanation by example. Let's compare two handheld games: GTA Liberty City Stories (PSP), GTA Chinatown Wars (DS/PSP).

LCS was basically GTA3 on a handheld (different city layout, story, but same mechanics). Playing it involved 5 minutes of boot up time. Then you'd walk to a mission... loading... watch a 2 minute cutscene... loading... play the mission for 5 minutes, and upon completing it, you'd have to go back to your safe house, GTA3 style, to save the game ... another 5 minutes. My commutes would involve almost finishing a mission.

CW boots up instantly & you can save whenever. The cutscenes are short and punchy. The missions cut away all the fat. If you drove from x to y once, you don't need to do it again. Larger missions are split up by checkpoints. There's plenty going on in the streets, so even if you have 2 minutes, you can advance a bit.

Is LCS a deeper game than CW? Nope. Is CW dumbed down? No, in fact, it probably has more content than LCS. The difference is that CW cuts away all the filler, gets you in the game quickly, and lets you get out whenever. It's not about a 5-10 minute experience. It's about an experience that can scale from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

Cheers,

Mo

I see it more as a home console with screen attached. If you like playing console games but live in an environment where you have no exclusive access to the TV, this might be ideal.

It's definitely not for me.

As much as that stuff is nice, I still think that no matter how much Sony would have poured time into focusing the platform and software into something that supports 10-15 minute gaming chunks they'd still fail in the face of Apple. Stuff like Lumines, Puzzle Quest, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars are all available on that platform and the simple interface basically restricts gaming to be that and little more.

So, while targeting console-like experiences on the PSP1 might have been a failure, it may in turn be a success on the PSP2 due to the simple fact that the arena is a lot more competitive now.

I have a PSP and don't even touch it anymore now that I have an iphone. Not to say that the iphone is necessarily a better gaming device, but the simple fact of only lugging one device around matters a lot. I'd be tempted despite that if there are good games for it, but let's face it, it's Sony and they're probably going to make it stupid expensive. One thing that could sway me is if it really was a portable ps3 like they keep claiming and all my psn games somehow automagically worked right out of the box for no additional charge. And I'd like a pony. :erm:

Edit: Oh and on the console games versus designed-for-mobile games debate, I'm in the wanting console games camp. I already have the iphone for playing-in-short-burst mobile games; if I'm biting the bullet on one of these things, that's not what I want it for.

Centuries ago, 3D games existed on this ancient platform known as the N64. Back in those days, 3D games didn't need two analog sticks, they just needed camera programmers who slaved over their work. :P

That funny, because I remember constantly having to adjust the camera while playing those 3D games that didn't need two analog sticks. :mock:

Honestly, I think gamers don't know any better, and that game developers aren't trying hard enough.

:hmph:

I'm totally down with a "tap L to snap the camera" and the occasional "Hold L and push directions to rotate the camera". What I'm not down with is having to adjust the camera all the freaking time.

And I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick with the "gamers don't know any better" statement. It's a bit like when Apple said, "hey, there's no hardware keyboard on the iPhone" and everyone going, "OMG, IMPOSSIBLE!" It's hard to challenge the status quo.

If you play your iPhone more than your PSP, you just don't know what's out for the PSP....:blink:

I only play my iPhone when I'm waiting in line or... on the toilet? And only because I have a backlog of iPhone games, none of which I really care for...

I only play my DS when Nintendo releases a game on it...

Every month I get some PSP minis and PSOne game from Playstation Plus, and there is pretty good imports, and the PSP gets all the niche shmups and RPGs...

If the PSP2 gets the niche market and gets all the shmups, brawlers, retro collections and niche JRPGs, it will be... the console everybody says that sucks because nobody hears about these games...:mock:

Sony have already stated that it will be affordable. Sony is also launching the PlayStation Store for Android phones and other devices as an effort for cross-platform PS game availability. Think about playing Little Big Planet on your iPhone or iPad.

I read an interview with Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in Kotaku and he was being really vague about the price. It's like Sony is scared the price will piss all the possible customers away.

In Yoshida's own words:

We are not talking about the price yet, but I hope when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense.
The feeling I get from that is that it will be expensive, very expensive.

I've never owned a PSP as it had no games I would be interested in (except Lumines maybe and one game doesn't sell a game machine) and I was not that interested in PSP2, but I was still interested to see what Sony has to offer and I personally have a feeling they missed the boat again. The portable is packed with all kinds of features, but as it goes, more features means higher prices. I don't believe that Sony is ready to take massive hits again on selling a new console on huge losses.

So that would mean the price would be something like 400-500 dollars/euros, but nobody would buy it at that price. It's a tricky situation.

The high price will turn away all young potential buyers, kids may want it, but parents won't be buying. Also there will be apparently several versions coming out. 3G version and non-3G version so price will be different for those of course. All devices will have Wi-Fi capabilities.

The physical size of PSP2 is quite big, it's not exactly "pocket console", but 3DS is also not that small anymore.

The one interesting idea about PSP2 that they have is the no physical media part. It will be interesting if all games are downloaded and if they manage to link up Playstation Network to PSP2 completely then it will be a selling point.

They are promising that battery life target would be the same as with PSP 3000. So that's 4-6 hours? So battery life expectancy on one charge is as low as 3DS.

Also, why did I reply to a message from a bot? :hmph: