Erkki

iPad gaming

So, I bought an iPad as a birthday present for my mom, and I hope I get to use it too sometimes. I tied it to my account, in hopes that I would be able to play all my iPhone games on it.

Kind of disappointed that most games have separate iPad versions that need to be purchased again :( I guess I should have expected that, considering how dirt cheap the iPhone games are. Still, don't want to buy Monkey Island yet again, wish I hadn't bought them for the iPhone.

Ok, rant over, what games do you recommend for iPad? Also, do you know what are the best card games, which is what my mom mostly plays on the computer. FreeCell, Spider etc.

(hope it's ok posting a new thread for this, I think there wasn't anything specific to games for the iPad)

Well, this is fucking horrible to do, but the company I work at made a pretty cool whack-a-mole style game called Jungle Stew. The object is to hit Livingstone explorers who try to escape the cannibal stew. Classic timewaster, obviously nowhere near the bang-for-buck a Monkey Island would give you.

Eliss is truly excellent, and automatically accommodates multiplayer by being on an ipad.

Carcassonne, though for iPhone, has art that scales up to ipad resolutions.

Feelforit is interesting and weird.

Envirobear 2000 is hilarious. Again, low-fi enough visuals that scaling it up probably won't hurt it.

Plants vs. Zombies is great (in my opinion better than the PC version). There's Civilization Revolution, but I haven't put much time into that. Game Dev Story works great in the blown up mode, I've been playing tons of that.

Well, this is fucking horrible to do, but the company I work at made a pretty cool whack-a-mole style game called Jungle Stew. The object is to hit Livingstone explorers who try to escape the cannibal stew. Classic timewaster, obviously nowhere near the bang-for-buck a Monkey Island would give you.

It's not horrible at all...we're all human beings here who (mostly) care about each other...if anyone's done something...it's good for them to let us know so we can check it out...

Cut the Rope :tup: quite fun and getting all stars on some levels is challenging too.

Angry Birds :tup: a fun time waster

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor or Somesuch is better than on the iPhone

What I haven't tried yet but maybe will: 100 Rogues is apparently good and there's a Puzzle Quest (trilogy I think).

There are a lot of iPad versions of games I would like to get that I already have for the iPhone, but this would devalue my previous purchases :( I haven't tried any adventure games yet, I think I'll wait for something new from Telltale.

Tilt to Live HD is the only game I actually play on my iPad.

Seconded Tilt To Live, though only out of experience with the iPhone version. I also heard that the newly released Rage HD plays pretty well in addition to the ridiculously good graphics on an iDevice. Space Invaders Infinity Gene is pretty good, too.

If you've poked around these forums enough, you should have seen at least a couple praisings of Canabalt, Edge, and Drop7, so they're all on the list too. Then my obligatory, shameful mention of Angry Birds HD.

Also, fantastic "games I'm playing" banner, Thompson. I need to get myself one of those.

Also, fantastic "games I'm playing" banner, Thompson. I need to get myself one of those.

Why thank you, I am too lazy to write out the games like everyone else yet motivated enough to spend the time in Photoshop making those. :tmeh:

I wish I was good enough to make one that looks just like yours but have "CODBLOPS" in that blue font.

I wish I was good enough to make one that looks just like yours but have "CODBLOPS" in that blue font.

PSD

JPG

GIF

You'll probably need to use the GIF for the sig because it has to be a tiny size.

If you've poked around these forums enough, you should have seen at least a couple praisings of Canabalt, Edge, and Drop7, so they're all on the list too. Then my obligatory, shameful mention of Angry Birds HD.

Nooo. I will never touch that game again. Edge is pretty good though, they just(?) updated to the iPad higher res.

Swords and Sworcery is still one of the only iPad games that I can unreservedly recommend. Really stunning aesthetics and lovely little details everywhere. Gameplay is simple and unobtrusive and probably disappointing to anyone looking for a true adventure game experience. It feels more like an interactive art piece to me.

I've been playing nonstop Super Hexagon on the iPhone and I'm sure it's even better on iPad. One of my top 10 GOTYs of 2012.

Ghost Trick, a DS port of a very clever adventure game with superb animation and long winded characters.

Maybe i should give Swords and Sworcery another go, i've got the iphone only version.

Doesn't it come up with a message at the beginning saying you will complete it in 15mins? Well i played it for 15mins...i was fighting something and it was all just a bit blah. Majorly over-hyped from the tiny amount of the game i played ;)

Kingdom Rush HD is the game i couldnt put down on my iPad. Its sort of like a single player DOTA. A Tower defense RTS would be an unkind description, Its so much fun, and very polished.

I've played a decent amount of Dead Trigger recently... I don't really know if I can recommend it, but it's definitely the best executed first-person shooter on the platform. The gameplay is as boiler-plate as it gets - essentially arena/wave-based zombie killing. That said, I wasted a good deal of time on it while I was on the road with nothing to entertain me but my tablet so I'll give it a perfunctory plug.

Maybe i should give Swords and Sworcery another go, i've got the iphone only version.

Doesn't it come up with a message at the beginning saying you will complete it in 15mins? Well i played it for 15mins...i was fighting something and it was all just a bit blah. Majorly over-hyped from the tiny amount of the game i played ;)

I think that message was referring to the first chapter. It's broken up into a few chapters. I think it takes closer to 4 hours to finish.

I never played the iPhone version and I hear it's not a great medium for it. The game really benefits from an iPad size screen.

In regards to the gameplay, it's not deep. But I found it well executed. There was a great tenseness to the fights, helped along by an excellent soundtrack which builds up nicely during these moments. And the puzzles take advantage of the touch controls, instead of ignoring them or using them as analogues to a mouse, which I appreciated.

Kingdom Rush is available on the personal computer as a web game, and I played it for a lot of 2012. It was like my web game of the year, I agree it's really good and I think I'll buy the iPad version.

That and Burrito Bison.

I never played the iPhone version and I hear it's not a great medium for it. The game really benefits from an iPad size screen.

This. I remember squinting a lot. Don't really want to buy it again though, I'll wait for a sale.

Hundreds is awesome, just been playing it for the last half hour.

Kingdom Rush is available on the personal computer as a web game, and I played it for a lot of 2012. It was like my web game of the year, I agree it's really good and I think I'll buy the iPad version.

That and Burrito Bison.

Yeah but theyve pulled the webgame now. at least from their site and the original site i played it on.

I beat The Room (no connection to Tommy Wiseau) on iPad and I'd definitely recommend it. A very solid puzzle game that reminded me of the Myst series, if at the very least from the story.