Erkki

iPad gaming

Why didn't my little man shoot the other little man :?

Moving guys react to enemies slower than still guys.

Still trumps moving, crouching trumps standing, cover trumps no cover, facing trumps not facing. The guy who has more of these factors in his favor will win nine out of ten firefights. Not that I've ever been able to do them effectively myself.

You guys, get Brogue. It is the best thing in my iPad in so long.

Can't believe nobody's said Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes yet, considering it was a thumbnail for one of the casts.

might-magic-clash-of-heroes-wersja-ios-a

I've never played a Might & Magic game before, and I've never played a game like this before.

It's basically you have a random pile of units, and 3 moves each turn. If you can match 3 in a row vertically, they unite, and are set to attack 3 turns from now! You have to smash through the opponent's base.

But here's the thing: If you match 3 in a row HORIZONTALLY, they form a defensive wall that will soak up damage.

If you set up 2 offensive strikes to attack on the same turn they do bonus damage, and if you stack two walls above each other they fuse to form a stronger defensive wall!

Different units have varying strengths, like higher defense or faster charge time. There are special units with unique abilities, special commanders with unique CO powers they build up over time, and special items to find and equip to give each commander further unique abillities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The controls are basically just re-arranging your units to match 3 in a row, but I can't stop playing this. I assume this was already a well-defined genre and I'm just late to the party, but I'm downright impressed that they boiled down this Advance Wars tactics stuff to something so basic, and kept it so compelling.

Oh also there's a tonne of anime characters chatting to each other between matches, but it's never that long.

I think it's $3. Worth it, I've played this for days and I think I'm halfway through.

If you're a big strategy tactics person though: bare in mind that I am not.

That game is most excellent, bit I played it to death in the Ds.

It took a while to figure out what I'm doing, and there's some boring dips between stretched-out upgrades (boooooo!) but this game is cool and neat!

For anyone about to play it: Don't just go fast the whole time. That's what I did, and it was just a sad, confusing experience.

You're supposed to shoot all the guys behind you and rev the acceleration while you're reloading, just enough to keep out of reach. Also do the objectives, the things that have stars on. That's where you get money from.

Also note that the levels get more interesting as you get further distance into them.

Where's this guy's girlfriend sidekick? I can't find her anywhere.

Also lol the concepts for this game literally label them "WITCH", "BOOMER", and "TANK".

I love it. Really nice pixel art

I think you only level up when you've hit all three of the challenges, so I'm stuck on lol 6 until I jump three cars.

I have a feeling the nice leveling curve is going to flatline soon as the freemium stuff kicks in

The gold is measured on distance, kills, max combo and max speed so it's worth accelerating up to top speed at the start for the gold then plow into some zombie to slow down

AValiable on iPhone too

"Jump 3 cars" means "Jump, AND LAND ONTOP OF 3 cars".

I was stuck on that one. Oh and a vehicle with a high MASS means that it doesn't lose speed when it drives through zombies.

Telltale's new Poker Night 2 is out for iOS now. Judging from my experience with the first one, this really feels like a game better suited to mobile devices.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/poker-night-2/id605606748?mt=8

I really think it's great that Telltale seems to be consistently pumping out iOS versions of their games now. Much wider audience, and some great outreach to non-"gamers" as well, showing that the industry isn't all monolithic CoD-clones.

I'm really interested in how they're adapting the Transport Tycoon UI for the iPad.

Has anyone played the updated version of Ridiculous Fishing?  It has new fish behavior, the only thing I thought was necessary to add to the game!

PS: Since it's 2013, we don't have changelogs anymore.  We have no mention of the update on the developer site and we only have a single Twitter message which people are using as a bug tracker.

PS: Since it's 2013, we don't have changelogs anymore.  We have no mention of the update on the developer site and we only have a single Twitter message which people are using as a bug tracker.

I hate especially how I used to be able to click on "View News" to see what were the changes with which Steam was updating my games, but now it's just a bunch of PCGamer and RPS pieces on how awesome the game I already own is.

Oh. I haven't played it in a while. Robot unicorn 2 got an update too.

Super crate box is still blasting its way into my heart though.

PS: Since it's 2013, we don't have changelogs anymore. We have no mention of the update on the developer site and we only have a single Twitter message which people are using as a bug tracker.

Actually, iOS has change logs if you press "View more.." (I think it's called) when you're updating the app or on the app's page in the App Store, at the bottom it says Release History. Ridiculous Fishing has a huge update notice for the latest one.

That said not all iOS apps are as detailed in their change log descriptions. Letterpress has the best changelogs. It's just the one guy who made it making jokes and ranting about at length about each feature he adds.

I hate especially how I used to be able to click on "View News" to see what were the changes with which Steam was updating my games, but now it's just a bunch of PCGamer and RPS pieces on how awesome the game I already own is.

This. Also hate it. Tell me what you've done to my game, dammit! :(

Anyway: iPAD GAMING.

This Ridiculous Fishing update also has new stuff in the shop:

the top hat is the best money-sink I've seen in anything

and [edit] some new fish that

do weird stuff with names from your friends in, presumably, game center.

Omicron HD seems to be getting very little attention. I don't know why, because it's excellent.

Man, I thought for a moment you meant a mobile version of Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Which would have been belter, but very ill-advised.

Has anyone suggested Lords of Midnight? A remarkably faithful adaptation of the ZX Spectrum original. Mike Singleton, the creator, originally planned to make an undated version with new mechanics with Chris Wild, the programmer, but when Singleton died Wild decided he had to release an unchanged version (barring the art, which is now line rather than pixel) as a tribute. 

It holds up incredibly well - the enemy AI (basically a set of If/If not, thens and a set of paths for each army) feels weirdly alive, although of course it's easier to represent implacability.

I've got Lords, and was really excited to play it having somehow missed it completely when I had a Spectrum. I'm struggling to get into it, though; it doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to just pick up and play.

Any tips..?

My favorite board game designer, Martin Wallace, has one game, Steam, out on iPad, and Brass coming out later this week.