Kolzig

Eric Chahi's Project Dust

Who has to have their own, worthless achievements system that can't be disabled and is just shit?

Ubisoft!

UPlay (?) is a fucking joke. I think Splinter Cell: Conviction had grand total of four achievements: Finish the first mission, finish the last mission, fully upgrade one weapon and something about clothes. The rewards were equally amazing. Highlights include a wallpaper of some sort. UPlay* falls eyebrow deep in the category "It's not DRM; it's a service! Honest!"

I fucking hated opening SC:C on my PC, even though I quite liked the game. I guess this is the new Ubi Experience™.

*I'm actually not entirely sure if the Ubi-DRM and UPlay are technically connected.

UPlay (?) is a fucking joke. I think Splinter Cell: Conviction had grand total of four achievements: Finish the first mission, finish the last mission, fully upgrade one weapon and something about clothes. The rewards were equally amazing. Highlights include a wallpaper of some sort. UPlay* falls eyebrow deep in the category "It's not DRM; it's a service! Honest!"

I fucking hated opening SC:C on my PC, even though I quite liked the game. I guess this is the new Ubi Experience™.

*I'm actually not entirely sure if the Ubi-DRM and UPlay are technically connected.

Sounds like Ubisoft need to go on Undercover Boss and play their own games... or something.

Protip: if you pirate Ubisoft games instead of buying them, they will work fine if your internet connection goes down.

:yep:

This game is infuriating. All these non-skippable videos, some of which are the SAME for EVERY LEVEL! Stuppid buttons that don't always work. So awesome when I urgently need to put out a fire, but the button does nothing because I have something selected.

The first level with the fire trees is really annoying me and I want to saw Eric Chahi's head off.

I bet they won't patch it further. The 30 fps limit etc. are still going to be there after this DRM removal patch is released.

It would be very surprising if those other issues would be fixed as well.

I won't buy it unless they fix up the PC port completely. Shame in a way, as I would've really liked to play Chahi's latest.

Edited by Kolzig

Just requested a refund. If they release a patch that fixes the glaring issues I'll repurchase it.

I don't get how people of influence at Ubisoft haven't yet figured out that their DRM is the stupidest shit ever because the only people suffering are legitimate consumers — every pirate has a copy with the DRM nicely chopped out. I mean, is this a hard thing to understand?

It's fine to implement something which complicates easy duplication and distribution of a retail copy, but this shit doesn't accomplish that task any better than the protection used a decade ago. Publishers just need to understand that it doesn't matter how fancy your DRM is, the pirates will still get round it.

Argh. Fuck me.

I guess they figure they're not in the business of giving people the best games possible; they're in the business of making money, and have calculated that the hit they're taking in reputation is worth the extra money they're making by forcing some number of would-be pirates to pay for it. They've said they're very happy with the DRM, but that could of course mean any number of things, including "It's terrible, but if we close our eyes and wish really hard..."

It's a valid strategy, by all means. On the other side of the scale you have the hardcore indie developers who practically give away their games, have no DRM, etc. This gives tons of cred and goodwill, but maybe not that many shareholder yachts.

I'm not getting the refund. I just finished the game and enjoyed it, except for the times when I wanted to saw Eric Chahi's head off. Which wasn't actually that often.

But for fucks sake:

• DON'T MAKE ME WATCH THE SAME CUTSCENE BETWEEN EVERY LEVEL! (at least make it skippable)
  • DON'T MAKE A COMPLETELY IDIOTIC CONTROL SYSTEM (even a slight change -- WASD = move camera, mouse = move breath only -- would have been a huge improvement)

DON'T MAKE ME WATCH THE SAME CUTSCENE BETWEEN EVERY LEVEL! (at least make it skippable)

I got the impression it was hiding the game loading, so this complaint maybe isn't the most valid.

I got the impression it was hiding the game loading, so this complaint maybe isn't the most valid.

Hmm... It's not obvious that's was going on. There were also other cut-scenes (or just camera pans) that were not between levels, none of which were skippable. Restarting a level required watching the intro speech again each time.

I agree about the in-game cutscenes though, those being unskippable is aggravating.

It's because you get like five of them rapid fire, some times.

You get your cutscene, it finishes, you go do something.

Just as you're building your little sand bridge, another cutscene.

You watch it, it finishes, you go back to your sand bridge.

Your bridge has washed away, you start rebuilding it, another cutscene.

It's handled in an extremely annoying way, but the cutscenes mostly disappear after the first few levels.

It's a shame to see so many people have a terrible experience with the PC version though. I mean, it's definitely a flawed game, but i had a relatively entertaining time with the XBLA version. I would like to see these ideas expanded upon in something else, if not just a sequel.